Thread: identify numerical value

Question identify numerical value

Is it possible to identify BW7 the numerical value of Hebrew or Greek letter or word or sentence?

The abridged Liddell-Scott lexicon lists the numeric value for the letters of the Greek alphabet. Beyond that, you have to count the letter values for yourself. But why? God inspired words. When the letters were used by copyists as numbers, those words are linked in BibleWorks to the appropriate lexicon entries to give the numeric value. But when the letters are used in words, they have no numeric value, they represent sounds which make up the words which God intended for us to read and understand as words. Sentences have no numeric value.
    In Christ, whom you will find in the words of the Bible,
    Mark Eddy

Dear Mark Eddy
    Thanks for pointing out the Liddell-Scott lexicon. If you add up the sum of the values of letters in a word, there is a numerical value for that word. This value is interesting, because words are used with the same numerical value to each other. The semantic word family as well as the numerical word family can shed light on the meaning of a word.

Blessed greetings,
    klapehau

"In the beginning was the Digit?!?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eddy View Post
    The abridged Liddell-Scott lexicon lists the numeric value for the letters of the Greek alphabet. Beyond that, you have to count the letter values for yourself. But why? God inspired words. When the letters were used by copyists as numbers, those words are linked in BibleWorks to the appropriate lexicon entries to give the numeric value. But when the letters are used in words, they have no numeric value, they represent sounds which make up the words which God intended for us to read and understand as words. Sentences have no numeric value.
    In Christ, whom you will find in the words of the Bible,
    Mark Eddy
    All, first let me state categorically that I am not one who gets caught up in things as esoteric as the numeric value of words (called gematria, by the way, from the Greek for "geometry"). It is generally a fruitless exercise at best and can border on the esoteric and metaphysical at worst. But, there are times, even in scripture, when the numeric value of words is present. For example, in Jesus' genealogy furnished by Matthew, the evangelist repeats the use of the number 14. There were 14 generations from Abraham to David, 14 generations from David to the captivity, etc. A quick study of David's name will reveal that the numerical value of it is - ready for this? - 14. The 14 generations listed in each of the time periods in Israel's history recorded there are certainly not meant to be exhaustive. But they are some of the most significant generations. The Jewish people used the number 14 as a mnemonic device to remember this important genealogy. (Keep in mind, this was the line of the Messiah) And in this case, it was spurred on by the numerical value of David's name.

And, please no, I am not into gematria, numerology, or numbers games. But I think, at times, the numeric value of words can be an implicit undercurrent in an author's thinking. Similarly, biblical authors often use word plays on people's names. There are a whole bunch of the latter, especially in Genesis.

Quote Originally Posted by ISalzman View Post
    There are a whole bunch of the latter, especially in Genesis.
    Perhaps you could give a few examples in the non-BibleWorks section. It would be interesting to see the symmetry such as you mentioned for David's name.

I've started the thread for you, so you can just click on the link below to take you there --

http://bibleworks.com/forums/showthr...0728#post20728

Quote Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
    Perhaps you could give a few examples in the non-BibleWorks section. It would be interesting to see the symmetry such as you mentioned for David's name.

I've started the thread for you, so you can just click on the link below to take you there --

http://bibleworks.com/forums/showthr...0728#post20728
    Thanks Scott. I'll have to think about this one and get back to you on it later. Word play on names would be the easier question.