Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BW8 versus BW7

Question BW8 versus BW7

G'day folks. Long time since I posted anything.
    Can users of BW8 please let me know of its benefits over BW7.

I read that some modules in BW7 are not available in BW8. Is this a problem?
    David McKay
    Aussie Christian
    http://gontroppo.blogspot.com/
    What I'm Reading
    http://themusickeplace.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gontroppo View Post
    G'day folks. Long time since I posted anything.

I read that some modules in BW7 are not available in BW8. Is this a problem?
    At this point I'm a bit too lazy to re-write posts, but if you search the forums, Google "bibleworks 8 reviews", see posts at the BibleWorks blog, etc. you can find out a bunch about BibleWorks 8.

As to the quicker answer on your question. If you own BibleWorks 7, you will receive codes for all of the modules which you have purchased so that you can unlock those in BibleWorks 8 for no extra charge. There were three modules that were in BW8 that are no longer in BW7 (The Luther Bibel, Basic Hebrew (Futato) and Robertson's Word Pictures). If you buy BW8 alone, you would not get those modules, but if you were someone who was upgrading from BW7 or another version that contained those modules, you will still get codes to unlock them in BW8. (see here).

I believe the ONLY exception to this is the Robertson's Word Pictures, which is not available in BW8 in any form due to licensing issues with it. (see here).

But in a word, if you are a user of the primary languages (Greek especially, but also Hebrew) the upgrade is definitely worth it for the new resources which have been added to BW8.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Thumbs up

Thanks Michael.
    David McKay
    Aussie Christian
    What I'm Reading

I would say that BW8 is the most significant software upgrade I have ever experienced in any genre of software. I can't think of any other software upgrade that even comes close to the advances made between BW7 and BW8.

Actually Robertson's Word Pictures is not available in BW8, even for those who had it in earlier versions. Permission to use it in BW was removed in BW7. So, if you have the later patches for BW7 you should not be able to use Word Pictures even in BW7. Also, one of the two Futato Hebrew works in BW7 is not available in BW8. Otherwise what Michael wrote is correct. If you have a license to a database in BW7, you get to use it in BW8.
    Mark Eddy

Adelphos:I would say that BW8 is the most significant software upgrade I have ever experienced in any genre of software. I can't think of any other software upgrade that even comes close to the advances made between BW7 and BW8.

Hi Scott
    What advances in BW8 do you particularly appreciate?
    David McKay
    Aussie Christian
    What I'm Reading

Default New BW 8 Tools

I have been particularly impressed by two tools in BW8: Phrase Matching and Related Verses. Phrase Matching took what I normally do (look for intertextual links suggested by phrase repetition) and made it much easier and comprehensive. Likewise the Related Verses tool compresses what I was already doing (using lexical repetition and semantic fields to find related or connected passages) with individual searches and does it systematically.

Two great tools that allow me to spend less time manually looking things up and more time thinking about what it all means. That makes it a worthwhile upgrade in my book.
    Last edited by ccozier; 11-06-2009 at 08:15 AM.
    Rev. Clint Cozier, Ph.D.
    Pastor, Cherry Valley Church
    Caledonia, Michigan

What advances in BW8 do you particularly appreciate?
    I like the Cross Reference tool very much. I've made my own Cross Reference database, based on a main one, and I use it extensively.

The PMT and RVT are also very handy in various situations. I haven't even explored the full capability of these, but I have found myself employing them time and again when trying to nail down the qualities of a passage, and they have always been revealing.

There are others as well, but perhaps one of the biggest improvements in BW8 that has gone unsung is the little things, such as when you use the mouse to choose a book or chapter or verse, instead of giving you a scroll down bar, as in BW7 and earlier versions, now in BW8 you get a flat screen presentation which gives you instant access to all of these, making the switching between books, chapters, verses much faster and immensely easier.

The interface (green bars, etc.) also makes it much easier to access all of these tools than in previous versions.

The extra tabs on the right-hand side are a godsend, such as the Browse tab, Stats tab, and so on.

In short, there are a whole slew of parts that simply make the whole a far more efficient, powerful, and friendlier application than before.

And the upgrade price, especially considering what all you get, couldn't possibly be fairer.

When I did created a poll of the best new features, it seemed that the X-refs where the most popular.

You can see for yourself here.
    Chris Sansom
    M. Div. Concordia Seminary
    Google+
    Facebook!
    LibraryThing!

Quote Originally Posted by Sansom48 View Post
    When I did created a poll of the best new features, it seemed that the X-refs where the most popular.

You can see for yourself here.
    Hey Chris, I just took a look at your poll. I hadn't seen it before now. Thanks for that! In my own opinion, there are a lot of great features that were new with BW8. I'm not sure I can pick any one, per se, which I like significantly more than any of the others. But having just surveyed your poll, an item that jumped out at me was Rodkinson's Babylonian Talmud. I think that this is a very unsung addition to the BW8 package. About six months ago, I was preparing a sermon on the "Fallen Tabernacle of David" in Amos 9. I will never forget the excitement I felt going down the Resource Summary Tab in the Analysis Window and discovering an entry on the verse in Rodkinson's Talmud. There was a whole rabbinic discussion of the passage. But what was most significant was that the rabbis themselves saw it as a reference to the coming Messiah. In fact, as a result of the Amos 9 passage, one of the rabbinic names for the Messiah is "Bar Naphli," "Son of the fallen one." In other words, the rabbis understood that the Messiah himself would rebuild the Fallen Tabernacle of David." Not surprising then when we read James words about the very same phenomenon in Acts 15. All this to say that Rodkinson's is an unsung tool. It allows us to see how the OT was historically interpreted, in this case, by the rabbis and the first readers.