Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Young's Analytical Concordance to the Bible

Quote Originally Posted by jimofbentley View Post
    BibleWorks can not act as a weight holding down some of my wife's craft projects until the glue dries
    That's what my wife used our Bill Gothard notes for in the 1980s; seemed a fair use to me.

Dale A. Brueggemann

כִּי עֶזְרָא הֵכִין לְבָבוֹ לִדְרוֹשׁ אֶת־תּוֹרַת יְהוָה וְלַעֲשֹׂת וּלְלַמֵּד בְּיִשְׂרָאֵל חֹק וּמִשְׁפָּט (Ezra 7:10)

Question Something Young's can do that BW can't (seriously)

In studying translation techniques, I find it very useful to tabulate the different words in the source language that lie behind a single lexeme in the target language, and vice versa. Young's offers this "out of the box" (er, off the shelf). This information is contained in any Strong's-keyed BW text, but not readily accessible in this form. One has to search on the target word, then manually tabulate the different Strong's numbers, then search on the Strong's numbers and manually tabulate on the various target words. For rare words this isn't too bad (and one can bypass Strong's and the attendant difficulties in how it classifies words), but in the nature of the case this is a statistical technique, much more powerful for common words than for rare ones, and then one is back to a lot of manual slogging. This is basically the kind of functionality that Tov-Polak offers for the MT/LSS pair. E-sword (and maybe others) offers a resource called the "King James Concordance" that tabulates English words from the AV against a single Strong's numbers; that's half of the solution (for the AV).

I've bumped up against this in trying to give a brief introduction to word study, in that it seems easier to show non-Greek/Hebrew-readers how to track the use of an original-language term in an analytical concordance (any one, not just Young) than in BW. Is there a GSE method for this? I've always found the GSE intimidating, but I can't see a way to do it from the Command Line or the Browse Window.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by Van Parunak View Post
    In studying translation techniques, I find it very useful to tabulate the different words in the source language that lie behind a single lexeme in the target language, and vice versa.
    Sounds like you're looking for a lemmatized AV. That would be handy.

Default Lemmatized AV...

Thanks to the nature of English (very little prefix variability in the morphology), we almost have one already, in the Strongs' coding. We just need a straightforward way to access the information (e.g., search on an English word, and display a tally of all the Strongs #s associated with it).

Default But apart from the AV?

For those of us for whom the AV (and its underlying Hebrew and Greek texts, esp. in the NT) is no longer the primary version of reference, I wonder if the Strong's system is really adequate. What about Goodrick/Kohlenberger?

But the original point here was whether it was possible to do this (find all the Hebrew or Greek words associated with an English word in a particular version) in BW. With all that BW can do, I'd like to hope that it is possible; but I don't have any idea how myself. Anyone else?
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia