Thread: Young's Analytical Concordance to the Bible

Hybrid View

Default Young's Analytical Concordance to the Bible

Is there an electronic "Young's Analytical Concordance to the Bible" for BibleWorks?

Default What would you do with it?

Hi,
    What do you want to do? Almost anything for which you would use Young's can be done easier with the BibleWorks program and its various tools. You could build all the data that appears in Young's from BibleWorks and for any version.
    So the question really is: "What do you want to do?" Describe how you would use the concordance and someone here will usually be glad to show you how to accomplish it in the program.
    SkipB

"Ambitious to be well-pleasing unto him"
    RJ Blackburn
    Reformed Episcopal Seminary

http://www.reseminary.edu

When I put my mouse pointer over a word in KJV I get the Hebrew/Greek word listed along with its definition according to Strong.
    I want to do the the same with Young's concordance.
    In KJV and/or YLT

Thanks for the reply

Default What you want...

You actually want the dictionaries from Young's? Hmmm, well I don't know what to say. The strong's dictionaries are used to provide a compact, shorthand, quick gloss. I really am speechless here, I can't remember looking at Young's in... oh-- 30 years? So I can't even comment on the dictionaries used there. With the wealth of other lexical resources literally at your fingertips in Bibleworks, I just don't understand what changing the glosses in the word tips would accomplish. I actually advise students to turn off the word tips. I think they are distracting, so much is available right in the analysis window. Sorry, I can't help you, I am afraid.
    SkipB

"Ambitious to be well-pleasing unto him"
    RJ Blackburn
    Reformed Episcopal Seminary

http://www.reseminary.edu

Quote Originally Posted by LFS View Post
    When I put my mouse pointer over a word in KJV I get the Hebrew/Greek word listed along with its definition according to Strong.
    I want to do the the same with Young's concordance.
    In KJV and/or YLT

Thanks for the reply
    LFS, the answer to your first questions is no, there is no Young's Concordance in Bibleworks. As you can see Strong's numbers in line with the KJV, you can also see them with any English Bible version that has "with codes". And you can toggle Strong's numbers on and off using the status bar at the bottom of the user interface. Young's Literal Translation of the Bible is one of the English translations included in Bibleworks, but it has no codes.

SkipB asked you to describe what you would like to do in Bibleworks, and perhaps, if you do that you can get more help from one of us. God Bless

Default use of youngs

I am not currently a user of Bibleworks, but I have registered to ask about Youngs. I currently use my book version of Youngs analytical concordance. I like the fact that it has every single word in the KJV, and that it gives the verses grouped by original greek or hebrew word with a definition at the top. However I also use it to look up the original greek or hebrew in the back (once I have found it in the front section - I don't know either language). This lists the other english words which have been used to translate the same greek or hebrew word. I find that this gives me a sense of the nuances of the original word in a way that a mere definition does not, especially if I then look up those words in the front and see their context. Can you do this with bibleworks? (I have never used Strongs so I have no idea if you can do the same things with Strongs.)

Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    I am not currently a user of Bibleworks, but I have registered to ask about Youngs. I currently use my book version of Youngs analytical concordance. I like the fact that it has every single word in the KJV, and that it gives the verses grouped by original greek or hebrew word with a definition at the top. However I also use it to look up the original greek or hebrew in the back (once I have found it in the front section - I don't know either language). This lists the other english words which have been used to translate the same greek or hebrew word. I find that this gives me a sense of the nuances of the original word in a way that a mere definition does not, especially if I then look up those words in the front and see their context. Can you do this with bibleworks? (I have never used Strongs so I have no idea if you can do the same things with Strongs.)
    Anne, I am unaware of anything a concordance does that BibleWorks cannot do. As far as finding the different ways a Greek word is translated in different passages in an English version, that is very easy to do in BibleWorks. If you end up getting BW, just post here and I or someone else will be glad to show you how to do it.
    Last edited by Lee; 11-19-2010 at 01:16 PM.
    καὶ ὑπὲρ πάντων ἀπέθανεν ἵνα οἱ ζῶντες μηκέτι ἑαυτοῖς ζῶσιν, ἀλλὰ τῷ ὑπὲρ αὐτῶν ἀποθανόντι καὶ ἐγερθέντι.