Thread: Applying update patches - question

Default Applying update patches - question

In BWks 8, after downloading and applying patches, the "Show Downloaded Patches" list does not differentiate applied patches from non-applied (i.e., ignored!) patches. IIRC (and I might not!), I think v7 put a marker against applied patches.

This might be turning into a feature request ... but could there be either a graphic signal, or a "date applied" column to show that the patch has in fact been run?

Or have I missed something, and in fact the information is there already??

(Apologies if this is a "FAQ" -- if it is, I haven't been able to find the answer!)

Thanks!

Under "help", click "BibleWorks on the internet" and then "check for updates"

When the BibleWorks Updates window opens, under "options", un-check "show downloaded patches". This hides all of the patches you have already downloaded, and only displays those which you have yet to download.

Thanks, jimofbentley -- that was some help...

...but it still leaves me with this scenario: I have a set of downloaded patches. Some of them I have applied, some of them I have not. But BWks 8 gives me no way of distinguishing between them (I am quite sure that in BWks 7, you got a "-" sign beside applied updates).

So ... of the patches one has downloaded, how do you know which *have* been applied, and which are *still to be* applied?

(Or again, am I missing something?!)

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by doc_dave View Post
    Thanks, jimofbentley -- that was some help...

...but it still leaves me with this scenario: I have a set of downloaded patches. Some of them I have applied, some of them I have not. But BWks 8 gives me no way of distinguishing between them (I am quite sure that in BWks 7, you got a "-" sign beside applied updates).

So ... of the patches one has downloaded, how do you know which *have* been applied, and which are *still to be* applied?

(Or again, am I missing something?!)

Thanks!
    Doc Dave, I believe the answer to your question is this: When you download updates and patches through the BW Updater, they are automatically applied. The condition that a patch might be downloaded but not applied doesn't exist. The BW Updater both downloads and applies at the same time. This is unlike Windows Update which downloads updates to your computer and then gives the following message in your System Tray area: "Windows Update has downloaded updates for your computer. Would you like to install them now?" The BW Updater doesn't work that way. Whatever updates you select are then downloaded and, to use a Markan term, straightway applied to your system. Hence, following Jim of Bentley's suggested procedure above, if you have unchecked the box labeled "Show downloaded patches (or updates), you would only see updates that have never been downloaded or applied to your BW installation.

There is one situation in which you might have downloaded patches but that they have not been installed. I have one computer which has only telephone internet access. So I do not download patches with that computer. I download them with my high speed internet conneciton on one computer, then copy the patches to a thumb drive and transfer them to the "Applied" patches folder of the other computer. Those patches do not automatically get applied. When I run the updater they display as if they had been applied, but I must manually check them to apply them.
    But, as the others said, if you check on an undownloaded patch, and click "Apply Selected Updates," BW downloads and applies them.
    If you are not sure that you have applied an update, you can always re-apply a patch, if you have chosen the "Show dowloaded patches" updater option, by clicking on any of your downloaded patches and clicking on "Apply Selected Updates."
    Mark Eddy

Light is dawning! Thanks for persevering with my query here.

Again, I *might* be mistaken (good chance!) but the download-plus-apply seems a change from my experience of v. 7, where I could choose to download patches, and then apply them as suited me. (I prefer to apply executable patches before others, etc. Don't ask me why!!)

So thanks for clarifying this little mystery. Nice to know I'm all patched up.