Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zondervan retiring Pradis

Half cheeses me off, half makes me happy. Chiastically:

I'm happy because Pradis stunk.

I'm cheesed off because, if I want to get my NIDOTTE in Logos (accg to the web site) I can pay $199 or get it at the sale price of $199!

Yikes!

I'm with bro Hanel. $00.00 sounds about right to me.
    Dan Phillips
    Books:Web presence:
    tfo+[]l;w> hw"hy> tr:AT-ta, vArd>li Abb'l. !ykihe ar"z>[, yKi

s `jP'(v.miW qxo laer"f.yIB. dMel;l.W

Quote Originally Posted by MBushell View Post
    The closing of Pradis just highlights something that I have said publicly many times. Electronic resources are volatile and short-lived. They are risky investments. Buy print resources first and then electronic. You will never regret the decision. Only buy electronic resources that you will use intensively enough to get your money's worth in a relatively short period of time. They can be fantastic tools. But don't become addicted to them and don't even think about getting rid of your print library. That's my advice, for what it is worth.
    The only time I ever use most electronic resources is when I have to search for something or copy it. Otherwise I have my nose in the printed version.

For example, I've been going through the Treasury Of David for the past several years in my early morning devotional time, and there's nothing like marking up the page and meditating on it. It's a whole different world than the electronic focus.

If anyone's interested, here is my methodology with regard to Treasury Of David in the mornings...

http://lamblion.net/Articles/ScottJo...ly_morning.htm

Quote Originally Posted by MBushell View Post
    I don't have any problem with companies making money by selling Bible research tools. I do have a problem with making money off the actual text of Scripture, but that is another matter. We are on good terms with Zondervan and may be able to offer some of their items as addons. It is unlikely that they will permit anything to go into the base package though.

The closing of Pradis just highlights something that I have said publicly many times. Electronic resources are volatile and short-lived. They are risky investments. Buy print resources first and then electronic. You will never regret the decision. Only buy electronic resources that you will use intensively enough to get your money's worth in a relatively short period of time. They can be fantastic tools. But don't become addicted to them and don't even think about getting rid of your print library. That's my advice, for what it is worth.

Mike
    I would quibble and say that electronic resources "can be" volatile and short-lived. Sure, Pradis was a flop, but that was because it was a publisher trying to publish and be in the Bible software business. This is a different story than Bibleworks, Logos, or Accordance. I don't see anything happening any time soon to you guys.

I also agree that print resources are still very valuable. However, the way I look at it now only CERTAIN resources should be purchased in print. All books should be purchased in print, but when it comes to reference materials it is another story. I just don't have any interest purchasing a 5 volume dictionary set for $280 when I could buy it on a Bible software platform, hopefully for cheaper, and be able to search it 10 times faster and cut my study time in half. The same is true with a lexicon or wordbook. The Bible software platform is just much easier and cuts the search time in half, not to mention the space it saves on the shelf.

Also, because of what you said I believe electronic resources should be cheaper than print resources. Zondervan should not charge the same in electronic format as they do in hard copy. Some publishers just don't seem to get this.

I hope you guys are able to get something worked out with Zondervan regarding a couple of their products (namely, the ones I mentioned above). I agree with your philosophy about some electronic formats and being anti-electronic library. However, reference tools are just invaluable on Bible software platforms.

Going off the current topic a bit and coming back to one of my original questions: what Zondervan products would you like to see Bibleworks offer?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    I am a little surprised Zondervan pulled the plug on Pradis.

I'm not. They really haven't devoted very many resources to the software platform for a while now. They've been planning to do this for some time (I heard rumors about it more than six months ago). I'm not thrilled that they are retiring the product. I actually have liked Pradis. It's got a nice, easy interface to it. And their content, which, till now has pretty much been proprietary, is top notch.

I hope people still get "credit" for using those resources in other formats, but obviously Zondervan is under no legal obligation to provide such a concession.
    I sent them an e-mail just this morning re that very matter. I have several titles in Pradis; among them, the Expositors Bible Commentary Series, which I value a lot. I haven't heard back from them yet. But I'd like to know that I'd qualify to receive the same titles in Logos that I already have purchased in Pradis. I don't know what legal obligations they are under, per se, but presumably, when a customer purchases a title, they own a license to the product. It would appear to me that people who own licenses to their products should not lose the same, especially when Zondervan themselves made the decision to suspend the Pradis platform. It's not like they are discontinuing their product. They are still going to be marketing their products across other software platforms. I think the right thing to do would be to honor their customers' licenses.