Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Zondervan retiring Pradis

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Default Zondervan retiring Pradis

    I noticed that Zondervan announced today it is retiring their Pradis software and is licensing their products to other Bible software companies. The only one they mentioned was Logos, which is more electronic-library based so is the most sufficient platform for the majority of their works.

    However, I was wondering if Bibleworks would be included in the "other" companies that they mentioned? Accordance already offers Zondervan products, so I don't see how they could be part of the "others." There are a few titles I believe that fit well in line with the Bibleworks philosophy, most notably works like NIDOTTE and NIDNTT. Most of the other works are standard books or commentaries, so I don't see BW being too interested in those. However, if NIDOTTE & NIDNTT were at the right price and tagged to the text, I just may consider purchasing them.

    Any rumors or news about this that I don't know about? Any other volumes/products you would like to see BW offer from Zondervan?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Soxfan23 View Post
    Any rumors or news about this that I don't know about? Any other volumes/products you would like to see BW offer from Zondervan?
    I have heard nothing, but I certainly hope it would be true that Zondervan's latest change of heart is one that is going to be open to all platforms rather than just licensing it to one. After that it's just a matter of pricing schemes for BW and them.

    Once again, it's just another sign of publishers still trying to figure out the e-publishing market. I am a little surprised Zondervan pulled the plug on Pradis. I hope people still get "credit" for using those resources in other formats, but obviously Zondervan is under no legal obligation to provide such a concession.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    I have heard nothing, but I certainly hope it would be true that Zondervan's latest change of heart is one that is going to be open to all platforms rather than just licensing it to one. After that it's just a matter of pricing schemes for BW and them.

    Once again, it's just another sign of publishers still trying to figure out the e-publishing market. I am a little surprised Zondervan pulled the plug on Pradis. I hope people still get "credit" for using those resources in other formats, but obviously Zondervan is under no legal obligation to provide such a concession.
    Their press release (here) indicates that Logos is just one of others that they will license their products to. It also indicates that previous Pradis users will get discounts for their products on other platforms b/c they say they are working for a "smooth transition" for their customers and will provide discounts upon their release.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Soxfan23 View Post
    Their press release (here) indicates that Logos is just one of others that they will license their products to. It also indicates that previous Pradis users will get discounts for their products on other platforms b/c they say they are working for a "smooth transition" for their customers and will provide discounts upon their release.
    Yeah but unless that discount is free, you see the problem w the transfer process ;-)
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    Yeah but unless that discount is free, you see the problem w the transfer process ;-)
    I definitely see the problem with it. However, I completely understand why it wouldn't be "free" given that it is on a different platform with a different company. Their work for including it should be rewarded. So, I'm assuming Logos or whoever else gets a cut out of the profit for selling the works on their platform. Therefore, I would think the best way to resolve it would be to only make the customers pay for Logos' cut. This should keep it very cheap and keep people happy. If you have to pay $200 for the NIDOTTE regularly and someone already has it on Pradis, I don't see a problem with paying $20 to use it on Logos. Agreed?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Soxfan23 View Post
    I definitely see the problem with it. However, I completely understand why it wouldn't be "free" given that it is on a different platform with a different company. Their work for including it should be rewarded. So, I'm assuming Logos or whoever else gets a cut out of the profit for selling the works on their platform. Therefore, I would think the best way to resolve it would be to only make the customers pay for Logos' cut. This should keep it very cheap and keep people happy. If you have to pay $200 for the NIDOTTE regularly and someone already has it on Pradis, I don't see a problem with paying $20 to use it on Logos. Agreed?
    I have no strong opinion on it personally since I never owned Pradis. I might if I paid for the thing and had to pay for it again.

    My only point is just that philosophical one, that this e-publishing world can still be confusing, so be careful of your investment. Agreed?

    Bottom line, I hope you and the press release are right and more of these works become available in BibleWorks as well.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,030

    Default

    Zondervan will have to break habit if we're to see anything in BibleWorks from them, as profit margin is the only consideration Zondervan is ever interested in. I don't see BibleWorks charging for a Zondervan product unless it is an optional add-on, so either Zondervan will, as I said, have to break habit and offer whatever to BibleWorks for basically a song and dance, or BibleWorks will offer it -- if they offer it at all -- as an optional add-on. Not that I speak for BibleWorks, but going by their past behavior, I think those are the two likey scenarios if we are to see anything from Zondervan in BibleWorks.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    I am a little surprised Zondervan pulled the plug on Pradis.

    I'm not. They really haven't devoted very many resources to the software platform for a while now. They've been planning to do this for some time (I heard rumors about it more than six months ago). I'm not thrilled that they are retiring the product. I actually have liked Pradis. It's got a nice, easy interface to it. And their content, which, till now has pretty much been proprietary, is top notch.

    I hope people still get "credit" for using those resources in other formats, but obviously Zondervan is under no legal obligation to provide such a concession.
    I sent them an e-mail just this morning re that very matter. I have several titles in Pradis; among them, the Expositors Bible Commentary Series, which I value a lot. I haven't heard back from them yet. But I'd like to know that I'd qualify to receive the same titles in Logos that I already have purchased in Pradis. I don't know what legal obligations they are under, per se, but presumably, when a customer purchases a title, they own a license to the product. It would appear to me that people who own licenses to their products should not lose the same, especially when Zondervan themselves made the decision to suspend the Pradis platform. It's not like they are discontinuing their product. They are still going to be marketing their products across other software platforms. I think the right thing to do would be to honor their customers' licenses.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •