Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Search Help and Suggestions

Default Search Help and Suggestions

I would like to do a search on the collocation of the verb אמן
    followed by the preposition

בְּ

I remember reading the book Bruce Demarest (Denver Seminary), Salvation and the Cross. In it he asserts that whenever the above collocation is found, it always refers to trusting, salvific faith. (John Walton disagrees) I am usually wary when writers make blanket statements and am inclined, like the Bereans, to check them out myself. So I wanted to know how best to run such a search in BibleWorks. Is it something that can be done on the Command Line? Or must it be done using the GSE? Grateful if anyone could suggest how I could set up this search (or others like it) in BW. Demarest also commented on the different nuances of the verb pisteuw when it appears with epi, en, or takes its object in the dative, respectively. For the record, I have every respect for Demarest and his book on salvation was quite good.

One more thing: I'd like the above search to hit all stems of the verb 'aman and all forms of the preposition (for example, bet with a patach should not be excluded). Thanks for any suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by ISalzman View Post
    I would like to do a search on the collocation of the verb אמן
    followed by the preposition

בְּ

I'd like the above search to hit all stems of the verb 'aman and all forms of the preposition (for example, bet with a patach should not be excluded). Thanks for any suggestions.

In Bibleworks Help the following example is given:
    'myhla rma

to search for:
    any form of the lemma rma followed by any form of the lemma myhla. For Hebrew morphology searches, words which do not contain an "@'" (for Hebrew) or "%" (for Aramaic) are assumed to have a wildcard "@*" appended.

So, if I have understood you right then in WTM your command line search would look like this:
    'אמן ב

I tried this search and these are the results I got

Gen. 15:6
    Exod. 14:31
    Num. 14:11
    Num. 20:12
    Deut. 1:32
    Deut. 28:66
    2 Ki. 17:14
    2 Chr. 20:20
    Neh. 8:6
    Job 15:31
    Job 24:22
    Job 39:12
    Ps. 78:22,32,37
    Ps. 106:12
    Prov. 26:25
    Jer. 12:6
    Mic. 7:5

I am not sure if you wanted a lemma or a Stem search? Plus, I am not very good at these types of searches yet.

Brian K. Mitchell
    חפשו בתורה היטב ואל תסתמכו על דברי
    http://www.adfontes.mitchellbk.com/

BK, does the search version have to be WTM? Could it also be WTT?

'b@Pp* nma@v*

Dale A. Brueggemann

כִּי עֶזְרָא הֵכִין לְבָבוֹ לִדְרוֹשׁ אֶת־תּוֹרַת יְהוָה וְלַעֲשֹׂת וּלְלַמֵּד בְּיִשְׂרָאֵל חֹק וּמִשְׁפָּט (Ezra 7:10)

Quote Originally Posted by Dale A. Brueggemann View Post
    'b@Pp* nma@v*
    Thanks Dale. Must the search version be set to WTM? Or would WTT also work?

Thanks Dale. Must the search version be set to WTM? Or would WTT also work?
    WTT won't do morphology searches. That's why WTM exists, i.e., to do morphology searches.

Quote Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
    WTT won't do morphology searches. That's why WTM exists, i.e., to do morphology searches.
    Thanks Scott. Is that the same thing as saying that you can only search WTT on specific forms and will return no hits on the lemma?

Thanks Scott. Is that the same thing as saying that you can only search WTT on specific forms and will return no hits on the lemma?
    No, because if you put your mouse over a wtt form (and right-click) there is an option to search on the lemma, but BW internally performs this with wtm, as it does with other types of searches under the hood, as it were.

EDIT: I meant to say, "...BW internally performs this with WTM..."
    Last edited by Adelphos; 09-16-2009 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
    No, because if you put your mouse over a wtt form (and right-click) there is an option to search on the lemma, but BW internally performs this with wtt, as it does with other types of searches under the hood, as it were.
    What? Could you please restate that in English (i.e., without the computer geek)? Thanks Scott. Actually, maybe I should restate myself. What would happen if I used Dale's search syntax (see above) on the command line and ran the search using WTT as my search version? I'm just trying to understand this intuitively. Would there be any effective difference if (a) I ran Dale's search string using search version WTM, or (b) ran the same search string using WTT as my search version?

What? Could you please restate that in English (i.e., without the computer geek)? Thanks Scott. Actually, maybe I should restate myself. What would happen if I used Dale's search syntax (see above) on the command line and ran the search using WTT as my search version? I'm just trying to understand this intuitively. Would there be any effective difference if (a) I ran Dale's search string using search version WTM, or (b) ran the same search string using WTT as my search version?
    Read my "EDIT" in the above post first.

Now, go ahead and TRY to run Dale's search on the CL in WTT.