Thread: HTML Support Added

Hybrid View

Default HTML Support Added

Hi All,

Beginning with 8.0.0012w BibleWorks can export HTML to the clipboard and load and save HTML files. By default both features are off. You can turn them on by selecting, from the BibleWorks main menu, "Tools | Options | General | Flags | Export Options". The two options at the bottom of Export Options control the HTML features.

You should be aware that Microsoft Word will preferentially insert HTML text from the clipboard if both RTF and HTML are available. If you turn on HTML support this effectively makes this the Word default. RTF sometimes works better though. Keep in mind that within Microsoft Word you can use the "Insert Special" option to see a list of formats available and pick the one you want to insert.

The HTML feature all work via an HTML to RTF and RTF to HTML converter (licensed from Sub Systems). BibleWorks does not work natively with HTML. So only basic HTML is supported. This should help people who need to export HTML to another program but you probably don't want to try to make BibleWorks into an HTML editor. Remember that the converter is run every time to load or save an HTML file. Native editing in the editor is still RTF.
    For those of you who create HTML files, you can force IE7 compatibility on a per file basis by adding

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=EmulateIE7" >

to your HTML files right after <head>.

Copying to OneNote still has some problems with Hebrew on some systems. This may go away when we address compatibility issues with IE8 (see below). For now you'll just have to accept it for what it is - and early cut at a difficult issue.

Exported HTML files can be viewed on most recent versions of Internet Explorer. Note however that some Hebrew text will not display correctly in Internet Explorer 8 unless you have the IE Compatibility mode turned on (from the Internet Explorer 8 menu under "Tools | Compatibility View Settings"). We are not sure if this is a bug in IE8 or a bug in the Converter caused by "stricter" compliance to industry standards in IE8. We'll keep an eye on this but for the time being few people have any reason not to run IE8 in IE7 compatibility mode.

We have tested this change but since it involves the BW editor, it is a good idea to back up your note files. I hope you all do frequent backups in any case.
    We have this satisfies some of the needs expressed by people working a lot with HTML or other applications that cannot read RTF text.

Mike Bushell
    BibleWorks,LLC
    Last edited by MBushell; 09-22-2009 at 11:19 AM.

Thumbs up Fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by MBushell View Post
    Beginning with 8.0,0012w BibleWorks can export HTML to the clipboard and load and save HTML files.
    I have never seen a software company that is so immediately responsive to the wishes of its users. This response to a request for compatibility with OneNote, which required HTML export, has been so speedy and to the point. I don't use OneNote, so I haven't been looking for this. But this response just amazed me. Way to go Bushell!

Makes me wish I could dream up something that I just couldn't do without--and everyone else agreed--just so I could see how quickly you implemented it ;o)

Dale A. Brueggemann

כִּי עֶזְרָא הֵכִין לְבָבוֹ לִדְרוֹשׁ אֶת־תּוֹרַת יְהוָה וְלַעֲשֹׂת וּלְלַמֵּד בְּיִשְׂרָאֵל חֹק וּמִשְׁפָּט (Ezra 7:10)

Default Addendum

The conversion bug in IE8 has been fixed. So the HTML exporter has been tested for mixed Hebrew and English in IE7, IE8 (in strict mode), Outlook and Word 2007. All seem to work fine. The only remaining problem is with mixed Hebrew in Microsoft OneNote and we believe that to be a Microsoft bug since it works fine in IE8 in its strictest mode.

Thanks,
    Mike