Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hebrew flash cards

Default hebrew flash cards

I am trying to construct a flash card set to go with Garrett/DeLoach's Grammar for Biblical Hebrew. If anyone knows of such a set already created, please let me know.
    In the meantime, I am having problems locating flash cards in the hotvoc set. My first problem was finding the noun "judge". It turns out there is no card for this word since it is a participle form of the verb. Such is the case with the word for "enemy". Since these are common enough forms, I thought it would be helpful to have separate cards.
    But now I am looking for the word for "wall" (chomah) and I am coming up blank for the entire hebrew root.
    This is becoming aggravating since I use this flash card feature to find sample verses with the students' vocabulary--a very helpful feature in BW. If I create a new flash card myself, is there a way to have it help find the samples verses in the Bible?
    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Default Found "wall"

I just went back to my excel, and "wall" came right up. Oh well.
    If anyone has ideas, however, about whether or not a user-created card would work with the verse-finder would be helpful.

Todd, the example finder should work fine in a user-created vocab file as well. ((one possible exception however. If your textbook uses a lemma that is not in BW for example, if there is no lemma for the present participle of the verb, then BW might not be able to find that form -- but this is just a guess. You'd have to experiment to know for sure.))

I do not know that the book you are using has a flashcard set done by anyone else. But when you are finished it, if you want to make it available, I can put it on the BibleWorks blog so that it will be around for others later.
    Last edited by Michael Hanel; 09-16-2009 at 04:45 PM.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Default matching user card with verse finder

So if I want to make a card for the noun "enemy" bya, how do I do that so that it will show up in the verse finder? In this case, the word does not have a separate lemma but apparently is listed under the verb form as a participle.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Borger View Post
    So if I want to make a card for the noun "enemy" bya, how do I do that so that it will show up in the verse finder? In this case, the word does not have a separate lemma but apparently is listed under the verb form as a participle.
    In BibleWorks, that word is lemmatized as a noun, so it should work ok to list it as such in your vocab list. But my advice would be to experiment. Gen 22:17 contains the Hebrew word "enemy". So see what you have to do or not do to get it to come up in the example finder.
    Michael Hanel
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    LibraryThing!

In Gen 22:17, if I place my cursor over the word enemy, there is no lemma that appears, but only parsing information. Every other word shows both the parsing info and the Hebrew lemma, but with this word it does not. Am I not understanding something here, or is there a glitch?
    BTW, BW is identifying the word as a noun, as you say, but it just doesn't give a lemma.

Default Lemma

I don't have that problem; the lemma shows for me.

Dale A. Brueggemann

כִּי עֶזְרָא הֵכִין לְבָבוֹ לִדְרוֹשׁ אֶת־תּוֹרַת יְהוָה וְלַעֲשֹׂת וּלְלַמֵּד בְּיִשְׂרָאֵל חֹק וּמִשְׁפָּט (Ezra 7:10)

It almost sounds like you have saved over the default BibleWorks vocab file. IS it just this word and this verse that is a problem?
    Michael Hanel
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    LibraryThing!

Every other word shows up fine.

A separate issue arose as I was arranging vocabulary and using the verse finder (or example finder, I forgot what it is called). The interrogative "he" shows itself properly when I place the cursor on top of it, but when I right-click and search for that lemma, the results include all of the definite articles as well as interrogative "he" particles. Is this just a bug that needs reporting to customer service?