Thread: Linguistics in Exegesis

Default Linguistics in Exegesis

I've done some exegesis and love to interact with biblical languages. I have often wondered if we aren't missing some very useful resources by incorporating more of a linguistic angle in our research methods. Is this being done, am I nuts, or is there something to this? --Debby

Debby,

What did you have in mind? Are you talking about resources exclusively for Bibleworks? I'm all for a linguistic angle and emphasis in our exegesis, as I believe most Evangelicals misunderstand language severely. However, how do we solve this in the Evangelical world and in Bibleworks in particular? Are you speaking of "lingustics" in terms of discourse analysis? etc?

You may be interested in David Alan Black's "Linguistics for Students of NT Greek" (http://www.amazon.com/Linguistics-St...ef=pd_sim_b_16).
    -- Richard

"Contend earnestly for the faith that was once for all delivered to the saints." Jude 3 (ESV)

My area is Biblical Hebrew linguistics. There's plenty of linguistic research into the language going on, both in terms of functional and generativist approaches.

Regards,
    David.

Thankyou all for your replies and direction. I am several years removed from seminary life and have no place, be it virtual or literal, to see what's going on in the world of biblical research.
    About what kind of linguistics do I mean, I am not even sure. I just know that from what I have studied, I've thought it would be pertinent to exegesis. I'm always looking for another angle to better understand the text.
    I will definitely check out David Alan Black's book. Sometimes just one book can open up the whole field, and give expression to those nagging nudges that end up changing one's life....
    I was also wondering if an MA in linguistics from a secular school with emphasis on biblical language would be possible somewhere. I could see this as a very profitable area of study. Unlike you David, I would lean more towards Greek, but you must have a very exciting and unique approach.
    I'm obviously throwing out all kinds of feeds here, but this is sooo interesting and exciting to talk to you about.
    To make linguistics work in Bibleworks I think you would have to integrate a formulaic approach, or incorporate as a commentary maybe?
    Thankyou for your replies. Debby

Wow! Thankyou so much for the book lead! Now I got two book leads! Amazon, here I come. It has been such a pleasure talking to all of you.