Thread: Aca

Default Aca

I have aBW 5 file of text of the Early Church Fathers and the file is called ACA. However, the database file extensions are not the same as those in BW 6. I liked the older version because it had more information about each book. Currently I do not always know what book of the Fathers I am reading. Can this old file be converted?

Over a year ago I briefly used the ACA files that someone offered for use in BibleWorks. There were lots of mistakes or gaps in that file, and the books didn't display properly with the other files of the Apostolic Fathers that were made available to the BW list. Since those files came out, a number of us worked out a better (we hope) system for displaying book names for the Apostolic Fathers, and the gaps have been filled in (I hope). If you pick up the Greek and English files for the Apostolic Fathers on Jim Darlack's web site plus the book names file from the BibleWorks updates, you should always be able to see which book of the Apostolic Fathers you are reading.

If there is more information than the book names that you see in ACA, let me know, and I can look into it (if I didn't totally delete the ACA files from my computer). User database files for BW 5 can always be converted into BW 6 files. If you have an aca.ddf file and aca.txt file in your userdb file, usually all you have to do is change the directory in the .ddf file (using a text editor like Wordpad) from "BibleWorks 5" to "BibleWorks 6", and the Version Database Compiler should find the .txt file and compile the aca for BibleWorks 6.

If I have misunderstood your concern, please explain what you are seeking in more detail.

God bless!
    Mark Eddy
    Last edited by Mark Eddy; 08-07-2004 at 11:52 AM.

No, l like the current files. But i thought when I clicked on the three letter code in the old one it showed the full name of the book in the info window. I get lost in the 3 letter codes. I Just maybe missing someting.

What caused me to think about this was the other day I was looking for a quote from Justin and I did not know what book I was searching in BW. I ended up finding it in a PDF version that I have. I know that the three letter code is now BW works. I just wish it had the full name in the notes.

By the way, I appreciate the work you guys have done in producing these addons.

Default Justin? Justin Martyr?

I dont know if anyone has compiled the works of Justin Martyr for BW. Did the ACA database contain Justin's works?

~Jim
    Jim Darlack - Reference Librarian at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    Gloucester Assembly of God | Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    The 'Unofficial' BibleWorks Blog | Old in the New | Facebook | LibraryThing

Talking

Maybe that is why it did not work. Now I am feeling more than dumb

Default Nahhh!

You can't be dumb! You're using BibleWorks!
    Jim Darlack - Reference Librarian at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    Gloucester Assembly of God | Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    The 'Unofficial' BibleWorks Blog | Old in the New | Facebook | LibraryThing

Quote Originally Posted by hubmair
    No, l like the current files. But i thought when I clicked on the three letter code in the old one it showed the full name of the book in the info window. I get lost in the 3 letter codes. I Just maybe missing someting.

What caused me to think about this was the other day I was looking for a quote from Justin and I did not know what book I was searching in BW. I ended up finding it in a PDF version that I have. I know that the three letter code is now BW works. I just wish it had the full name in the notes.

By the way, I appreciate the work you guys have done in producing these addons.
    If you had a file that contained Justin (which others of us would like to have some day too), you could not see the name of the book in BibleWorks, because there is no entry in the books.bna file for Justin. If you have the latest update from BibleWorks you will be able to see the full book names of all the books officially included in BibleWorks. If you get other books (user databases), you'll need to get the .bna file on Jim Darlack's web site and make it your active .bna file (Install the new .bna file in the BibleWorks "Init" folder, click on "Options" then "Book Name" then "Open" then highlight the new file, then "Open" then "OK"). Once somebody compiles Justin for BibleWorks, the books.bna file will need to add a line of code, so that Justin will display with the full name. but right now you won't find Justin in BibleWorks.
    In Christ,
    Mark Eddy
    Last edited by Mark Eddy; 08-07-2004 at 09:43 PM.

Mark

It has slowly dawned on me that I did not know what I was doing. I made the false assumption that Justin was in Lightfoot. It is in the Antie-Nicene Fathers. My concern was not so much Justin as it was being able to identify the books by the three letter code. You have fixed that now that the name of the book appears before each verse.

Here is the really bad part. The quote I was looking for was not even from Justin, it was from Irenaeus! Talk about a snipe hunt that I have lead y'all on.

I think I had a senior moment, a bit of pastoral overload. In fact, I should have known better because I have a minor in Church History. I am sorry that I brought my confusion to the list.