Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I Thank God for Col. R.B. Thieme Jr.

I never met Col. Theime, nor was a taper. But I did pastor a church whose previous pastor was ordained at Berachah. Some of the people in the church were tapers. It was difficult sometimes to help them grow. They accepted various doctrines and weren't always able to grow from the Scriptures in the places where the Scriptures contradicted their theology or practice.

But I am thankful for the emphasis upon the Scriptures. They wanted the Word. Without going into many details of God's working, I became acquainted with BibleWorks because of the previous pastor. He bought BibleWorks (v.2.3c), and persuaded some in the congregation to buy BibleWorks. When I became the pastor, one of the members in the congregation traded BibleWorks to me for an Online Bible CD that I had. It was a good deal for both of us. That was my being of a relationship with BibleWorks. And now I am part of the team. God's plans have no time limit.

Glenn
    Glenn Weaver

For technical support, please contact Customer Support.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Weaver View Post
    I never met Col. Theime, nor was a taper. But I did pastor a church whose previous pastor was ordained at Berachah. Some of the people in the church were tapers. It was difficult sometimes to help them grow. They accepted various doctrines and weren't always able to grow from the Scriptures in the places where the Scriptures contradicted their theology or practice.

But I am thankful for the emphasis upon the Scriptures. They wanted the Word. Without going into many details of God's working, I became acquainted with BibleWorks because of the previous pastor. He bought BibleWorks (v.2.3c), and persuaded some in the congregation to buy BibleWorks. When I became the pastor, one of the members in the congregation traded BibleWorks to me for an Online Bible CD that I had. It was a good deal for both of us. That was my being of a relationship with BibleWorks. And now I am part of the team. God's plans have no time limit.

Glenn
    Well, I am very grateful that you are with BibleWorks, Glenn. I enjoy all of your helpful posts immensely. And I attended one of your BibleWorks Workshops at Princeton a few years ago. (Don't know if you remember me from that?) You did a great job! BibleWorks and BibleWorks users are blessed by your body of work with the company.

Irving

Thanks, Irving. God's plans are perfect. In hindsight I can see what He was doing, but I didn't know it at the time. I'm glad to be with BibleWorks. I get to meet many wonderful folks. It would be great to see you again, Irving.

Blessings,
    Glenn
    Glenn Weaver

It would be great to see you again, Irving.

Blessings,
    Glenn
    Ditto, Glenn!

Quote Originally Posted by ISalzman View Post
    Well, I am very grateful that you are with BibleWorks, Glenn. I enjoy all of your helpful posts immensely. BibleWorks and BibleWorks users are blessed by your body of work with the company.
    I want to echo this comment. I praise God for how He is able to knit together the lives of His children in very unique and different ways.

One overriding component of the New Birth is the cleansing of the sinner by the blood of Jesus Christ. I remember when Jesus Christ personally introduced himself to me, and indwelt me, and made me a new creature, and washed me in his own blood, and in that moment how powerful was the washing away of my sins by the blood of Jesus Christ. I felt it; I experienced it. That's why the Holy Spirit calls it the "washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost." (Titus 3:5).

And that's why Spurgeon correctly observed...

"People are not born again when they are in bed and asleep, so that they do not know it. They feel it; they experience it. Galvanism, or the power of electricity, may be mysterious; but they produce a feeling - a sensation. So does the new birth." C. H. Spurgeon, The Metropolitan Tabernacle Pulpit, Volume I, The Victory Of Faith

Bunyan, who likewise experienced his sins being washed away by the blood of Jesus Christ, spoke the plain teaching of the Scripture about such an experience belonging to every truly born again believer, and his words are a powerful corrective against the false prophets who deny the blood of Jesus Christ...

"Therefore the man that comes to Christ, is one that hath had deep considerations of his own sins, slighting thoughts of his own righteousness, and high thoughts of the blood and righteousness of Jesus Christ; yea, he sees, as I have said, more virtue in the blood of Christ to save him, than there is in all his sins to damn him. He therefore setteth Christ before his eyes; there is nothing in heaven or earth, he knows, that can save his soul and secure him from the wrath of God, but Christ; that is, nothing but his personal righteousness and blood." John Bunyan, Come And Welcome To Jesus Christ

It is not the Holy Spirit, but the spirit of antichrist, that denies the blood of Jesus Christ, and denying the blood of Jesus Christ has been at the forefront of heresy from Paul's day to this. Moreover, there is nothing more dangerous in this world or the world to come than denying the blood of Jesus Christ, for, as Clint noted in his brave testimony, the Holy Spirit HIMSELF testifies that without the blood of Jesus Christ there is no remission.

"Now, therefore, consider of it, and take the counsel of the apostle, which is to examine thyself whether thou art in the faith, and to prove thy ownself whether thou hast received the Spirit of Christ into thy soul, and whether thou hast been converted, whether thou hast been born again, and made a new creature, WHETHER THOU HAST HAD THY SINS WASHED AWAY IN THE BLOOD OF CHRIST, whether thou hast been brought from under the old covenant into the new; and do not make a slight examination, for thou hast a precious soul either to be saved or damned. And that thou mayest not be deceived, consider that it is one thing to be convinced, and another to be converted; one thing to be wounded, and another to be killed, and so to be made alive again by the faith of Jesus Christ." John Bunyan, The Doctrine Of Law And Grace Unfolded

At one time it was commonly held that John Bunyan's "Pilgrim's Progress" was second only to the Bible in publication. They tried to silence Bunyan by confining him to a dank dungeon, but all they did was loose his pen so that Jesus Christ through him spoke to the world.

And yet, if Bunyan could speak to us on earth, he would not have us commemorate his death.

Bunyan, who has a far greater "world impact" than most, would sternly say, "Let the dead bury the dead. Follow Jesus Christ, for he ALONE is worthy."
    Last edited by Adelphos; 08-24-2009 at 08:37 PM.

Glenn
    Hey Glenn,

You're experience is very similar to mine.

My dad was in the Air Force, during which time he became a taper, though never quit qoing to church - as is often the accusation.

While attending a church, during my young years, he had a taper group in his house. Great friends. Great time. While at time, there were some tough cases, far and away the folks were absolutely salt of the earth. Salt and light.

The church that we attended at this time, merely because my dad, having transitioned from the Air Force into the air lines, flying out of the LA hub, the church we attended at the time was pastored by Bob Thieme's brother in law.

His name was Ridge Ryan. God used him to grow the church from a small bible study in his home library to a large sized church with its own property. He pastored Coast Bible Church for about 18 years or more, then went on to a very success support role in J. Vernon McGee's ministry. A ministry that has grown, BTW, since his departure to be with the Lord. At this church, while there were problem tapers from time to time, there where many wonderful, solid, dear people. Many of whom are still friends with my folks, still in email and prayer contact. Wonderful people. You've never heard of any of them, they aren't problems.

Ridge Ryan's wife was the sister of Bob's wife. Both are wonderful Christian women. You'll never hear of them, they aren't problems.

While at seminary, I attended a church lead by a pastor on Bob's tapes. North Dallas Bible Church, should any of you want to check. During this time we, as a church body, removed this pastor from office. The elders aloud a group of seminary students to be in on the process. Therefore, I was aloud to be in on the process, admittedly, in a peripheral way. Bitter split. Friends lost. Everything associated with splits.

But at this church and during this time I most some of the most wonderful people of my entire life. They were so good to my wife and I. People we will never forget. People who have still helped us from time to time and kept in contact. People who every single one of them tapers. Tina and I will go to the grave loving these folks. Their lives could be examples to most academicians I know to follow. Some of the key folks went into key roles at a local church that was planted at the time. A church in Frisco TX. Others stayed on and North Dallas and have been fighting the good fight. Both groups, solid Christians.

The problem cases that I referred to above are those that fancy themselves "well read" and "scholarly." Every accusation that I've seen labeled against the rebel tapers, the only ones that ever seem to get any head lines, can totally and fairly be labeled against well read, scholastic, academic types. These too become impossible at times to take directly to a page in Scripture and let the word of God speak for itself, without having to first run it past their "pope." Academia, Scholarship, Etc. is just as guilty of bringing people to saying, "I am of Paul," "I am of Apollos," "I am of Cephas," "I am of Spurgeon," "I am of Bunyan," and so on.

As for "specialized" vocabulary. Are any of you degreed types kidding me?! Seriously!? You didn't learn gobbledy gook vernacular jargon at Bible College, Seminary and in all your required reading. Come on. Be honest. If not here, for the sheep you minister to.

My point is, it's only the problem kids that every get commented on. There are so many good, good Christians that Bob's ministry has impacted - but none of you, more than likely, will ever comment on any of them. Many are in strategic ministries right now, but none will ever say, "Hey, there's someone who was a taper at one time or still is and wow!, God has been and still is using them in a powerful way. Thanks be to God."

Personally, I thank God for Col. Thieme. While his theology caused problems form some, for many it did not.

Quote Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
    One overriding component of the New Birth is the cleansing of the sinner by the blood of Jesus Christ. I remember when Jesus Christ personally introduced himself to me, and indwelt me, and made me a new creature, and washed me in his own blood, and in that moment how powerful was the washing away of my sins by the blood of Jesus Christ. I felt it; I experienced it. That's why the Holy Spirit calls it the "washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost." (Titus 3:5).

And that's why Spurgeon correctly observed...

"People are not born again when they are in bed and asleep, so that they do not know it. They feel it; they experience it. Galvanism, or the power of electricity, may be mysterious; but they produce a feeling - a sensation. So does the new birth." C. H. Spurgeon, The Metropolitan Tabernacle Pulpit, Volume I, The Victory Of Faith

Bunyan, who likewise experienced his sins being washed away by the blood of Jesus Christ, spoke the plain teaching of the Scripture about such an experience belonging to every truly born again believer, and his words are a powerful corrective against the false prophets who deny the blood of Jesus Christ...

"Therefore the man that comes to Christ, is one that hath had deep considerations of his own sins, slighting thoughts of his own righteousness, and high thoughts of the blood and righteousness of Jesus Christ; yea, he sees, as I have said, more virtue in the blood of Christ to save him, than there is in all his sins to damn him. He therefore setteth Christ before his eyes; there is nothing in heaven or earth, he knows, that can save his soul and secure him from the wrath of God, but Christ; that is, nothing but his personal righteousness and blood." John Bunyan, Come And Welcome To Jesus Christ

It is not the Holy Spirit, but the spirit of antichrist, that denies the blood of Jesus Christ, and denying the blood of Jesus Christ has been at the forefront of heresy from Paul's day to this. Moreover, there is nothing more dangerous in this world or the world to come than denying the blood of Jesus Christ, for, as Clint noted in his brave testimony, the Holy Spirit HIMSELF testifies that without the blood of Jesus Christ there is no remission.

"Now, therefore, consider of it, and take the counsel of the apostle, which is to examine thyself whether thou art in the faith, and to prove thy ownself whether thou hast received the Spirit of Christ into thy soul, and whether thou hast been converted, whether thou hast been born again, and made a new creature, WHETHER THOU HAST HAD THY SINS WASHED AWAY IN THE BLOOD OF CHRIST, whether thou hast been brought from under the old covenant into the new; and do not make a slight examination, for thou hast a precious soul either to be saved or damned. And that thou mayest not be deceived, consider that it is one thing to be convinced, and another to be converted; one thing to be wounded, and another to be killed, and so to be made alive again by the faith of Jesus Christ." John Bunyan, The Doctrine Of Law And Grace Unfolded

At one time it was commonly held that John Bunyan's "Pilgrim's Progress" was second only to the Bible in publication. They tried to silence Bunyan by confining him to a dank dungeon, but all they did was loose his pen so that Jesus Christ through him spoke to the world.

And yet, if Bunyan could speak to us on earth, he would not have us commemorate his death.

Bunyan, who has a far greater "world impact" than most, would sternly say, "Let the dead bury the dead. Follow Jesus Christ, for he ALONE is worthy."
    As usual, no Scripture quoted. I get it. Your a Bunyan and Spurgen taper/reader.

Scott, you want to know, since you can't in all honesty say that you do, you want to know what how a problem taper is viewed by most people - READ THE OVERWHELMING MAJORITY OF YOUR POSTS. Seriously Not only in this forum but others. You are a stellar life example of what outsiders have grown to hate about certain pugnacious tapers. You are one - by way of copious example.

Scott "not the adelphos one"

Hi Scott and Scott,

O.k. Your points are noted. Can we all be friends again? :-)

For whatever it is worth, I find that a scholarly mindset, whether found in college, seminary, university, or church, can be spiritually deadly. Knowledge can lead to pride, if it is not acompanied by an even larger dose of humility and submission to Christ. I have seen many people who have a little knowledge for whom pride has made them think they know more than they really do, and people who have great knowledge but have serious failings in how to live a godly life. Everything is worthless without humility and submission to Christ.

You know what is odd about this posting about Bob Thieme's death? I was talking with a fellow at church on Sunday morning, August 16. I found out that he had been a taper. I asked if he knew if Bob Thieme was still alive. He didn't know. How ironic that Bob Thieme would pass away that very evening.
    Glenn Weaver

Hi Scott and Scott,

O.k. Your points are noted. Can we all be friends again? :-)
    Hugs 'n' kisses. Hugs 'n' kisses. The holy kind. Goes without saying.

For whatever it is worth, I find that a scholarly mindset, whether found in college, seminary, university, or church, can be spiritually deadly. Knowledge can lead to pride, if it is not acompanied by an even larger dose of humility and submission to Christ. I have seen many people who have a little knowledge for whom pride has made them think they know more than they really do, and people who have great knowledge but have serious failings in how to live a godly life. Everything is worthless without humility and submission to Christ.
    Thank you. Very biblical. Sound.

You know what is odd about this posting about Bob Thieme's death? I was talking with a fellow at church on Sunday morning, August 16. I found out that he had been a taper. I asked if he knew if Bob Thieme was still alive. He didn't know. How ironic that Bob Thieme would pass away that very evening.
    The 23rd anniversary of my first wife and I. Two wonderful daughters. Still in love. Hugs 'n' kisses. Hugs 'n' kisses. The blissfully marital kind. Goes without saying.