Thread: Update to Amidah and Pirke Aboth

Default Update to Amidah and Pirke Aboth

With special thanks to Jay Palmer, an update to the Amidah and a new version of Pirke Aboth with copious notes. Both are Hebrew and English combo versions!

AMIDAH update

PIRKE ABOTH
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Default Thanks

I would like to express my thanks and acknowledge Michael Hanel for his assistance in creating these modules. His efforts were very helpful!

Following Michael's suggestion, these Avot versions will display with the OTP version of Avot within BibleWorks.

Notably, the English version, which is the work of Dr. J. Gorfinkle, contains many helpful footnotes that are lacking within the OTP. These footnotes are displayed within the analysis window.
    a;koue( VIsrah,l( ku,rioj o` qeo.j h`mw/n ku,rioj ei-j evstin( kai. avgaph,seij ku,rion to.n qeo,n sou evx o[lhj th/j kardi,aj sou kai. evx o[lhj th/j yuch/j sou kai. evx o[lhj th/j dianoi,aj sou kai. evx o[lhj th/j ivscu,oj souĊ

עשׁה שׁלום במרומיו הוא יעשׂה שׁלום עלינו ועל כל ישׂראל ואמרו אמן׃

"Will you rise like a lion in the morning sun or will you just lay there bleeding? When the time has come, return to the Kingdom, close my eyes and be screaming freedom!" - Matisyahu

The Talmud database which comes with BW8, ROD, uses the abbreviation Abo for Avot. But OTP (Charles Pseudepigrapha) continues to use PIR for the book Pirke Aboth, which is the same book. I checked with BW about this a couple months ago and received this reply:
    I'm not sure what will be done with this yet. But I expect that the abbreviation Abo will be the one that we use. I suggest using that abbreviation.

So I suggest that this module also switch to using Abo as the book name abbreviation as soon as BW changes OTP, whenever that happens.
    Or you could change the abbreviation right away, so that the Pirke Aboth can display with ROD instead of with OTP. I leave it to the database creators to make this decision.

Mark Eddy