Thread: Squirrels - God Has A Sense of Humor

Hybrid View

Default Squirrels - God Has A Sense of Humor

My wife and I planted a new garden. There's a bunch of "Bird" feeders. There's a bigger bunch of squirrels. The squirrels are abundantly smart. The birds, not so much.

This article has a good summary ....

This "Yankee Flipper" will be our next weapon ....

I've heard of the Yankee 'Clipper,' Joe DiMaggio, but never a 'Yankee Flipper.' Nice garden. What part of our continent do you find yourself in, if you don't mind my asking?

I got news for you...

You will NEVER prevent the squirrels from getting to the bird feed. My neighbor and I have tried every bird feeder that exists and NONE of them has been able to withstand the ingenuity of the squirrels. Even on those we have modified, the squirrels have eventually been able to figure out how to penetrate the defenses.

For an animal that idiotically runs INTO the path of oncoming cars, the squirrel is nevertheless unbeatable when it comes to bird feeders.

Quote Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
    For an animal that idiotically runs INTO the path of oncoming cars, the squirrel is nevertheless unbeatable when it comes to bird feeders.
    Perhaps you've just hit on the answer. Maybe we need to install the bird feeders on our cars!

I strongly recommend the following.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    May not be too animal friendly, but looks like it would work! Don't let the good folks over at PETA catch you doing it though!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    That is AWESOME! Don't know if I can get the wife to go along with one of these. But definitely worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
    I got news for you...

You will NEVER prevent the squirrels from getting to the bird feed. My neighbor and I have tried every bird feeder that exists and NONE of them has been able to withstand the ingenuity of the squirrels. Even on those we have modified, the squirrels have eventually been able to figure out how to penetrate the defenses.

I'm afraid you may be right. I've seen too many informative TV specials on this particular strain of God's creation to sanely hope otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by ISalzman View Post
    ... Nice garden. What part of our continent do you find yourself in, if you don't mind my asking?
    I live in Virginia, just outside the Nation's capital - Wash. DC. I can see many/most of the landmarks/skyline from my house.

I have to admit, the garden in the video is not mine. The garden the wife and I planted is much newer, only 4 to 5 weeks along. It was only just this morning that we harvested our first tomato. We should of had some roses by now, but the deer keep eating the buds. If Bambi weren't so cute ...... ergggg!

Quote Originally Posted by SCSaunders View Post
    I live in Virginia, just outside the Nation's capital - Wash. DC. I can see many/most of the landmarks/skyline from my house.
    Wow, nice! Beautiful area of the country. If it's any consolation though, we have our fair share of Bambis here in Joisey. Actually, nobody here in NJ pronounces it "Joisey." Only outsiders wanting to make fun of the state. I'm not offended though; I'm not a native New Jerseyan.