Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Are any Jewish commentators (Rashi, Ibn Ezra) available?

Quote Originally Posted by ISalzman View Post

By the way, I believe they only have original language texts and nothing in (English) translation. Am I correct? Do any of your recommendations above come with English translations?
    Sorry, I do not think any of those offer an English other than maybe the interface. In book form it is much easier to find English Judaica, but the it seems everyone has rashi translations n English software, but usually not anyone else. Well, Soncino has the Talmud with English interface and translation, as well as their more expensive, Classic English Translation of: Tanach / Talmud / Zohar & Midrash Rabbah and Artscroll also offers a few CD roms.

Here are some free English sources on the net:
    Go to Yiddishkeit.org click on their 'torah sources' link and you will find some English translations.

Chumash with Rashi

Rambam Sefer HaMitzvos

Public domain goodies:
    Pentateuch with Vocalization, Accents, Masorah Magna and Masorah Parva.

Haḳdamah gedolah ṿi-yeḳarah le-sefer Minḥat Shai ṿe-shaʻar ha-sefer ṿe-ḥatimat ha-ḥibur ... (1876)

The Massoreth ha-Massoreth of Elias Levita : being an exposition of the Massoretic notes on the Hebrew Bible; or, The ancient critical apparatus of the Old Testament in Hebrew (1867)
    I am sorry I could not be of more help maybe we'll find something later. Or, maybe some BW users could help locate public domain Hebrew commentaries and have them translation and make user databases of both the original language texts and their translations.

Grace and peace,
    BkMitchell
    Brian K. Mitchell
    חפשו בתורה היטב ואל תסתמכו על דברי
    http://www.adfontes.mitchellbk.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bkMitchell View Post
    Sorry, I do not think any of those offer an English other than maybe the interface. In book form it is much easier to find English Judaica, but the it seems everyone has rashi translations n English software, but usually not anyone else. Well, Soncino has the Talmud with English interface and translation, as well as their more expensive, Classic English Translation of: Tanach / Talmud / Zohar & Midrash Rabbah and Artscroll also offers a few CD roms.

Here are some free English sources on the net:
    Go to Yiddishkeit.org click on their 'torah sources' link and you will find some English translations.

Chumash with Rashi

Rambam Sefer HaMitzvos

Public domain goodies:
    Pentateuch with Vocalization, Accents, Masorah Magna and Masorah Parva.

Haḳdamah gedolah ṿi-yeḳarah le-sefer Minḥat Shai ṿe-shaʻar ha-sefer ṿe-ḥatimat ha-ḥibur ... (1876)

The Massoreth ha-Massoreth of Elias Levita : being an exposition of the Massoretic notes on the Hebrew Bible; or, The ancient critical apparatus of the Old Testament in Hebrew (1867)
    I am sorry I could not be of more help maybe we'll find something later. Or, maybe some BW users could help locate public domain Hebrew commentaries and have them translation and make user databases of both the original language texts and their translations.

Grace and peace,
    BkMitchell
    Bk, you've been very helpful, thanks! I have the Soncino Talmud. I'll check out some of the websites you recommend. Oops, now I am relying on your word(s)! Just when you told us not to, also!

Bk, you've been very helpful, thanks! I have the Soncino Talmud. I'll check out some of the websites you recommend. Oops, now I am relying on your word(s)! Just when you told us not to, also!
    Don't worry about it. That saying(motto) has more to do with the study of the Torah/Bible than anything else. It's kind of like sola scriptura and
    Ad Fontes. It's call to examine the Bible for ones' self and not to blindly accept every theory about it. There is a place for Rashi and other commentaries, but we can disagree with them when they are guilty of ignoring the plain meaning of the text.
    Brian K. Mitchell

Don't worry about it. That saying(motto) has more to do with the study of the Torah/Bible than anything else. It's kind of like sola scriptura and
    Ad Fontes. It's call to examine the Bible for ones' self and not to blindly accept every theory about it. There is a place for Rashi and other commentaries, but we can disagree with them when they are guilty of ignoring the plain meaning of the text.
    Oh, I know, bk. I was just razzin' ya. We should be like those noble Bereans, shouldn't we? Speaking of Reb Shlomo ben Yitzchak (Rashi), he was quite something, wasn't he?

Oh, I know, bk. I was just razzin' ya. We should be like those noble Bereans, shouldn't we? Speaking of Reb Shlomo ben Yitzchak (Rashi), he was quite something, wasn't he?
    Yeah, I think so too. That congergation in Veroia/Berea does serve as a great example.

As, for Rashi I think he was interesting and I think he deserves some respect. He taught his daughters talmud too or so they say. His grandson's in law didn't always agree with him about his interpretations on the chumash. Sadly, there are too many chumashim that have only Rashi or others commentaries that agree with him. The old Mikraot Gidolot editions are my favorite type of Chumash as they have different voices debating with each other rather than one authoritative guy. Artscroll's Jaffah edition made a step in the right direction by including more than Rashi and the Targum, but they still have yet to publish a true Mikraot Gidolot.

Grace and Peace,
    bkMitchell
    Brian K. Mitchell

Yeah, I think so too. That congergation in Veroia/Berea does serve as a great example.

As, for Rashi I think he was interesting and I think he deserves some respect. He taught his daughters talmud too or so they say. His grandson's in law didn't always agree with him about his interpretations on the chumash. Sadly, there are too many chumashim that have only Rashi or others commentaries that agree with him. The old Mikraot Gidolot editions are my favorite type of Chumash as they have different voices debating with each other rather than one authoritative guy. Artscroll's Jaffah edition made a step in the right direction by including more than Rashi and the Targum, but they still have yet to publish a true Mikraot Gidolot.

Grace and Peace,
    bkMitchell
    Does the Artscroll Jaffah edition come with the accompanying commentaries in English or only original language?

Vis-a-vis the differences between Rashi and his grandsons, they differed on how they thought phylacteries should be configured. The biblical passage where the practice of phylacteries is derived merely says "You shall bind them for a sign upon your hands, etc." But that is as about as minimal information as you could get. Rashi and his grandsons differed as to the proper constitution of phylacteries. Rashi's prescription eventually won out and became the "Halachah." But at the rabbinical academy (Yeshivah) of my youth, my peers would don the traditional phylacteries (tefillin) during the morning prayers. Upon the conclusion of the morning service, they would remove their tefillin, quickly put on a different pair of phylacteries which conformed to what Rashi's grandsons advocated, and they would then recite the shema, Dt 6:4ff. In this way, they had their bases covered in the case that Rashi were wrong. Talk about zeal, huh? I cannot help but be reminded of Paul's words about his contemporaries: "They have a zeal for God ..." (Rom. 10:2).
    Last edited by ISalzman; 09-09-2009 at 10:33 PM.

Default Alternate (Alternative) Service

By the way, what did you mean by your "alternate service?"

Irving
    Irving - I think I should have said alternative service. The short answer is that in 1968 my draft board accepted me as a Conscienteous Objector. I did my 2+ years sevice under Mennonite Central Committee, who sent me to Toronto to do said service with a community centre and Canadian Peace Research Insititute. (MCC provided for my living expenses, and an allowance of (if I remember correctly) $10 a month.

A longer, more general answer is here: http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/A45407.html

--Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wert View Post
    Irving - I think I should have said alternative service. The short answer is that in 1968 my draft board accepted me as a Conscienteous Objector. I did my 2+ years sevice under Mennonite Central Committee, who sent me to Toronto to do said service with a community centre and Canadian Peace Research Insititute. (MCC provided for my living expenses, and an allowance of (if I remember correctly) $10 a month.

A longer, more general answer is here: http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/A45407.html

--Jim
    Thanks, Jim, for the explanation! Very interesting. I bet you probably had no idea that you'd end up staying in Toronto. Life is interesting in that way with all its surprise and unexpected turns and twists. Truth (or Life) is stranger than fiction, isn't it? Thanks for sharing your story, Jim.

Irving

Does the Artscroll Jaffah edition come with the accompanying commentaries in English or only original language?
    No, sorry this one the link is in Hebrew only.
    Brian K. Mitchell

No, sorry this one the link is in Hebrew only.
    Thanks. Looks like a nice volume.