Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Are any Jewish commentators (Rashi, Ibn Ezra) available?

Quote Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
    Notice this simple output...

I typed the above in Davka straight through by simply toggling language with alt+/.

I did not have to do ANYTHING other than type. Davka formatted EVERYTHING automatically. And that's just ONE of the easy features of Davka.

And no, I do not work for Davka or have any fiduciary interest in them whatsoever. They do, of course, have some fiduciary interest in me, being that they've got some of my money.
    I have Davka and a lot of their add-on modules. It is a great word processor. And one of the greatest features is that you are able to export to a pdf document from within the program. But that's not why I'm writing Adelphos. I'm posting to encourage you to watch your "final mem!" "Shalom" needs a "final mem."

Quote Originally Posted by ISalzman View Post
    I have Davka and a lot of their add-on modules. It is a great word processor. And one of the greatest features is that you are able to export to a pdf document from within the program. But that's not why I'm writing Adelphos. I'm posting to encourage you to watch your "final mem!" "Shalom" needs a "final mem."
    I know it does, but I was just typing an example and I didn't want to pull up the keyboard to find the final mem, as I haven't used Davak in a couple of months, so I have to refamiliarize myself with the keyboard again whenever I use it.

I know it does, but I was just typing an example and I didn't want to pull up the keyboard to find the final mem, as I haven't used Davak in a couple of months, so I have to refamiliarize myself with the keyboard again whenever I use it.
    No problem. I was just giving you a hard time.

By the way, DavkaWriter actually has an onscreen virtual keyboard, which you can activate from the view menu. That way, if you ever don't remember where a letter is on the keyboard, the virtual keyboard shows you where it is. I actually type with the virtual keyboard by clicking my mouse on the letters and the vowels there. Also, you can order keyboard stickers directly from Davka. Or, a Hebrew/English keyboard is also available from them.

By the way, DavkaWriter actually has an onscreen virtual keyboard, which you can activate from the view menu.
    Actually, it's easier to activate the keyboard by right-clicking on the status bar at the bottom, at least for me. I ususally use the Vilna font, as opposed to the David default font, and you can check the mark on the keyboard to also display in any font you're using.

Once I start using it for a few moments it all comes back to me, but if I lay off for a month or two I always have to type a little bit to get reacquainted, and it gets confusing switching back and forth between Davka and BW, because although I like the Israeli keyboard better, I don't use it with BW because it doesn't seem to work right at times, at least the last time I was doing some searches.

But all in all, it would take a lot of doing to mimic the sentence I typed above in MS Word, whereas it took me all of about ten seconds or so in Davka.

Actually, it's easier to activate the keyboard by right-clicking on the status bar at the bottom, at least for me. I ususally use the Vilna font, as opposed to the David default font, and you can check the mark on the keyboard to also display in any font you're using.

Once I start using it for a few moments it all comes back to me, but if I lay off for a month or two I always have to type a little bit to get reacquainted, and it gets confusing switching back and forth between Davka and BW, because although I like the Israeli keyboard better, I don't use it with BW because it doesn't seem to work right at times, at least the last time I was doing some searches.

But all in all, it would take a lot of doing to mimic the sentence I typed above in MS Word, whereas it took me all of about ten seconds or so in Davka.
    Vilna is a nice font. If I'm creating a booklet or program, which I've done on several occasions, I usually use the 'Siddur' font. It's a nice clean font. easy on the eye to read.

By the way, have you ever visited the website "Milon Morfix?' it is a Hebrew dictionary. You can type a word in DavkaWriter, and copy it to 'Milon Morfix.' Then you hit the translate button and it will give you a gloss and dictionary definition for the word. While the lexicons in BibleWorks will also do that for you, the lexicons in BW only index biblical words (i.e., words found in the Bible). Milon Morfix has the translation of all Hebrew words (biblical, modern Hebrew, Literary terms, words from rabbinic texts, etc.).

By the way, have you ever visited the website "Milon Morfix?' it is a Hebrew dictionary. You can type a word in DavkaWriter, and copy it to 'Milon Morfix.' Then you hit the translate button and it will give you a gloss and dictionary definition for the word. While the lexicons in BibleWorks will also do that for you, the lexicons in BW only index biblical words (i.e., words found in the Bible). Milon Morfix has the translation of all Hebrew words (biblical, modern Hebrew, Literary terms, words from rabbinic texts, etc.).
    Are you aware that Davka also has a translate feature?

Are you aware that Davka also has a translate feature?
    I believe you need to purchase that as an add-on module, right? But, if memory serves me correctly, I think the Davka 'Translate' feature is rather limited. It's very akin to the MS Word internal dictionary. It's not meant to be exhaustive. With Milon Morfix, I have never had the system return a "no definition for word listed" message. It always seems to find the correct definition regardless of whether you've got the lemma/lexical form or not.

I believe you need to purchase that as an add-on module, right? But, if memory serves me correctly, I think the Davka 'Translate' feature is rather limited. It's very akin to the MS Word internal dictionary. It's not meant to be exhaustive. With Milon Morfix, I have never had the system return a "no definition for word listed" message. It always seems to find the correct definition regardless of whether you've got the lemma/lexical form or not.
    How about posting the link you're talking about.

And no, it's not an add-on. It comes standard with Davka Writer, and it gives a lot of definitions for both biblical and modern Hebrew and English words. It's the A~a button on the toolbar. Although it's not meant to be a comprehensive dictionary, I think you will find it covers a great many words.

And no, it's not an add-on. It comes standard with Davka Writer, and it gives a lot of definitions for both biblical and modern Hebrew and English words. It's the A~a button on the toolbar. Although it's not meant to be a comprehensive dictionary, I think you will find it covers a great many words.
    Hmmm, okay, I'll have to check it out. The 'Translate' feature, I mean!

The website I referred to is: http://milon.morfix.co.il/

Hey, just tried the 'Translate' feature in DavkaWriter. It's pretty decent. Thanks for the heads up! It's not Milon Morfix, but it's good for what it was created to be!