Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are any Jewish commentators (Rashi, Ibn Ezra) available?

Default Are any Jewish commentators (Rashi, Ibn Ezra) available?

Are any of the Jewish commentaries available on line?
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by MBD View Post
    Are any of the Jewish commentaries available on line?
    You can try this for starters --

http://www.acs.ucalgary.ca/~elsegal/...aimonides.html

And Davka, though it costs, has an array of stuff. For example, I have Rashi, as well as others, from Davka --

http://www.davka.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi

Quote Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
    .... And Davka, though it costs, has an array of stuff. For example, I have Rashi, as well as others, from Davka --

http://www.davka.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi
    This has some cool stuff. I remember when you posted this a while back. It seems like their inventory has grown, possibly. Mostly, I looked at the Hebrew word processor last time, which might be why I don't remember these other offerings.

Wouldn't mind my daughters saturating themselves in this game.

I keep reading all these posts about people having problems with Hebrew and MS Word and I just say, too bad, it's your own fault, because I have mentioned many times how utterly effortless it is to type Hebrew, Hebrew/English, English/Hebrew, import Hebrew, et cetera, et cetera into Davka Writer.

Yes, Davka has proprietary fonts, but they also have good unicode support, so you have to make changes very rarely.

If people are determined to suffer with MS Word and Hebrew, so be it, but I can do in seconds in Davka what it somtimes takes fifteen minutes or a half hour to do in MS Word.

Default Online Rashi

The great Rashi's commentary on the Torah (5 books), who often notes other classic commentary, can be found here and here.

Also, there are a few Rabbinic works in Google books.
    a;koue( VIsrah,l( ku,rioj o` qeo.j h`mw/n ku,rioj ei-j evstin( kai. avgaph,seij ku,rion to.n qeo,n sou evx o[lhj th/j kardi,aj sou kai. evx o[lhj th/j yuch/j sou kai. evx o[lhj th/j dianoi,aj sou kai. evx o[lhj th/j ivscu,oj souĊ

עשׁה שׁלום במרומיו הוא יעשׂה שׁלום עלינו ועל כל ישׂראל ואמרו אמן׃

"Will you rise like a lion in the morning sun or will you just lay there bleeding? When the time has come, return to the Kingdom, close my eyes and be screaming freedom!" - Matisyahu

I keep reading all these posts about people having problems with Hebrew and MS Word and I just say, too bad, it's your own fault, because I have mentioned many times how utterly effortless it is to type Hebrew, Hebrew/English, English/Hebrew, import Hebrew, et cetera, et cetera into Davka Writer. ....
    I can only speak for myself. On the one hand, you've sold me. On the other hand, I can't at this time afford Davka. As usual, it comes down to the "bottom line." $$$$$$$

I looked at this word processor when you mentioned in the past, because I wanted to practice writing in Hebrew. My Greek professor @ DTS mentioned one time, that a great way to learn the Koine Greek is to start writing it in.

This seems logical. I would practice my Biblical Hebrew in the same way, by writing letters or notes or whattheheckever, referencing the library of grammars and lexicons in BW. I tried this in MS Word. I tried this in the BW Editor. I lost my sanctification every single time. Thank God for 1 John 1:9.

But, in viewing Davka right after you mentioned it in the past, it seemed the far and away better choice. The far and away better choice, but for the "bottom line." $$$$$$$$$$

I'd still like to practice my Hebrew this way. I'd like to practice it using Davka. I just can't see, at this point, forking the funds over. That's all.

Well, yes, it does cost money, but it's really pretty cheap, and once you get used to simply hitting alt+/ to type Hebrew smack in the middle of an English sentence, and have everything line up perfectly and automatically, and then hit alt+/ again to switch back to English, and then again to Hebrew, plus so many other features, it sure beats dorking around with MS Word in trying to get just one sentence right, which you can hardly ever do anyway.

Wink

Well, yes, it does cost money, but it's really pretty cheap, and once you get used to simply hitting alt+/ to type Hebrew smack in the middle of an English sentence, and have everything line up perfectly and automatically, and then hit alt+/ again to switch back to English, and then again to Hebrew, plus so many other features, it sure beats dorking around with MS Word in trying to get just one sentence right, which you can hardly ever do anyway.
    Have no fear, all those Hebrew/English problems will be solved in Word 2010!!!

tee hee hee...
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Notice this simple output...

I typed the above in Davka straight through by simply toggling language with alt+/.

I did not have to do ANYTHING other than type. Davka formatted EVERYTHING automatically. And that's just ONE of the easy features of Davka.

And no, I do not work for Davka or have any fiduciary interest in them whatsoever. They do, of course, have some fiduciary interest in me, being that they've got some of my money.
    Last edited by Adelphos; 07-21-2009 at 07:40 PM.

By the way, Davka, if anyone from Davka happens to be reading this thread, your business would probably expand by at LEAST a factor of 10 if you would make your fonts public. Yes, there is already good unicode support, but you people are missing the boat in a major, major way by keeping all of your fonts proprietary.