Thread: Comparing Ephesians with Colossians

Default Comparing Ephesians with Colossians

A friend of mind told me that he read somewhere that 75% of the words in the book of Colossians were also in Ephesians. Interesting enough, this leads me to ask how would one compare two different Bible books like Ephesians and Colossians in BW8?

I have been playing around with the text comparison tool. However, the results here show the differences between translations of the entire text. I am looking for a way to compare words (in either English or Greek) between two Bible books.

Any assistance or point of reference is greatly appreciated. Thanks

1. open the word list manager
    2. click on the main word list
    3. click on "Load or genrate word list"
    4. select bgm at the top
    5. enter "Eph" for the range
    6. uncheck "Keep mprph codes"
    7. select "Load words from Bible version"
    7. Click "Create List"
    8. Do the same for Colossiand but put it itn the secondary list
    9. Save the lists
    9. From the "Select" menu choose "Select words common to both lists"
    10. Select the optin to delete the highlighted words
    11. save the list

This wil give you word lists for each book and a list of the words not common to each. Wallah.

Mike

Thanks Mike,

Now that I have words that are common to both I suppose its just a matter of calculating the percentage based on the total number of words.

Default Interesting

I don't know the source my friend was referencing, but according to my calculations only 56% of the words in Colossians are in Ephesians using the BGM.

Default One step further

To take the use of stats one step further:

In the Word List Manager, delete the words that are not common between the two lists of words from Eph and Col. Save the list of words that are common as an IEL (Inclusion/Exclusion List). Do not include any spaces in the file name. I suggest something like BGM_Eph_Col_Common.iel.

Set the search limit on the Command Line to Col. Now right-click on the Command Line and select "Insert Word List File Name." Select your list of common words. Search on this list.

View your search results in the Stats tab. Select the proper Stats Tab options to show the number of hits per verse, the Normal display order, and the Details to verse.

Now open the Bible Outline Window. View the outline to Colossians. (Or use your own outline.) I find it interesting that the outline breaks tend to be at verses that have fewer words in common with Ephesians. This might be worth further investigation concerning the way Colossians is structured and the books relationship to Ephesians via word commonality.

This is an exercise in seeing how the tools in BibleWorks can help see the text in ways that we might not see otherwise, so that we may find things that we overlooked before.
    Glenn Weaver

For technical support, please contact Customer Support.

Default Wow

Thanks Glenn,

I am speechless and in awe. I had no clue as to the capability and many facets of BW8. WOW!

Thumbs up Totally great!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Precha1 View Post
    Thanks Glenn,

I am speechless and in awe. I had no clue as to the capability and many facets of BW8. WOW!
    Just AMAZING and FANTASTIC!!!!

Gilbert