Thread: Camp BibleWorks or just some insanely crazy idea

Default Camp BibleWorks or just some insanely crazy idea

Logos Bible Software does regular Camp Logos retreats and seminars (Morris Proctor). They even have been known to do Camp Logos cruises. There are so many BibleWorks power users in this forum as evidenced by so many of the great posts and user-created databases available here. Would the idea of a "Camp BibleWorks" appeal to anyone? Many here are pastors (like moi) so it would have to be something affordable. But how would it be if, over a long weekend (say a Thursday through Sunday) the BibleWorks community would gather at a Christian Conference Center (like Word of Life Inn and Conference Center in Schroon Lake, NY; America's Keswick in Whiting, NJ; Willow Valley, Lancaster PA; Founders Inn, Virginia Beach, VA; etc.)? There would be workshops and seminars. Users showing other users things that they've mastered in the program. Meals and activities would be included. I, for one, would love to see something like this. Am I crazy? Are there any others who would like to see something like this?

Default How 'bout a virtual camp?

I love the camp idea, but how 'bout doing some community sharing and basic training using broadband online. There are several very useful screensharing / VOIP tools that could be used with no cost (DimDim is high on my list) assuming the total number of participants was capped.
    Rev. Clint Cozier, Ph.D.
    Pastor, Cherry Valley Church
    Caledonia, Michigan

A virtual camp could work too! How about an annual "in-person" Camp BibleWorks, and quarterly or semi-annual virtual camps?

Quote Originally Posted by ISalzman View Post
    Logos Bible Software does regular Camp Logos retreats and seminars (Morris Proctor). They even have been known to do Camp Logos cruises. There are so many BibleWorks power users in this forum as evidenced by so many of the great posts and user-created databases available here. Would the idea of a "Camp BibleWorks" appeal to anyone?
    Wait are you saying you want to pay for me to come on a cruise and show you tricks on BibleWorks? Well you drive a tough bargain...

There are actually periodical training sessions done by BibleWorks trainers (see this thread for workshops). Furthermore, you can try contacting the BibleWorks folks to see if you can line up a training session in your area, via their contact info:

For information or questions pertaining to BibleWorks Training Workshops please contact BibleWorks at training@bibleworks.com.

So that's at least a place to start for you to get something official.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    Wait are you saying you want to pay for me to come on a cruise and show you tricks on BibleWorks? Well you drive a tough bargain...

There are actually periodical training sessions done by BibleWorks trainers (see this thread for workshops). Furthermore, you can try contacting the BibleWorks folks to see if you can line up a training session in your area, via their contact info:

For information or questions pertaining to BibleWorks Training Workshops please contact BibleWorks at training@bibleworks.com.

So that's at least a place to start for you to get something official.
    A cruise would definitely be nice, but the price would have to be right.

I've been to the training workshops, and I've definitely benefited from them. I always get something new out of them every time, even though I've done both, the beginner's and intermediate workshops, at least twice. Glenn Weaver et al do a nice job with the workshops.

But I wouldn't mind going a little deeper and doing a longer retreat over a couple of days. There's only so much that you can cover in a two-three hour workshop. If we had a "Camp Bibleworks" over a long four day weekend, a lot more in depth training could be shared. And, by a multiplicity of power users, trainers, and BibleWorks staff.

So where would you like to go on the cruise that I'm sending you?

Quote Originally Posted by ISalzman View Post
    A cruise would definitely be nice, but the price would have to be right.
    I'm pretty sure a cruise on the Mississippi near Biloxi would be pretty cheap, assuming everybody could get a passport, visa, and shots in time.

I like the BW camp idea. I have been to several training sessions for BW and appreciate the uniqueness each instructor brings.

Having instructors demonstrate BW in the context of inductive Bible Study, sermon preparation, or academic work would be priceless.

Michael & Adelphos

I have read all of your posts since joining the forums and would welcome the opportunity to learn from each of you how you use the program. The same is true for MGVH, SCSaunders, and a host of others too numerous to mention in this post. (Perhaps I should add the tremendous folks at BW as well.)

God Bless,

Part of the reason for creating the BibleWorks blog was the hope of being able to add helpful tips and such for using BibleWorks, but it is not an aspect that gets emphasized a lot (we tend to focus more on a different emphasis, namely providing a clearinghouse for all free user add-ons). Partially the reason for not having more on this is a time factor. It takes more time to write a post and add pictures if it's a how-to post than it does to simply upload a zip file and give a brief introduction to it. Another reason is that one is never quite sure what is considered a tip and what isn't.

Although I'm the most frequent poster here, I'm by no means the most experienced BW user (I only go back to BW5 which I got in college). However, I do think the biggest way I have learned how to do more in BibleWorks is by interacting on these forums with other users. (I suppose I would have learned a lot just by reading alone, but it's always more fun to help someone than it is to just learn from others).

So if I have tips, that's the single biggest one I have. The second biggest tip is to use the context sensitive help to your advantage. If you hold the mouse over something in the program that you don't know a lot about and then press F1, I guarantee you will learn something new. There are very few "tricks" that i know of that aren't covered in the Help document. More likely is that it is covered there, but we never read the Help because we think we know how to use such and such.

Perhaps we'll have to try harder at the BibleWorks blog to do more tip or tutorial oriented blog posts.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

I'd ad that the BW blog is certainly open to 'guest posts'. So, if you put together something tippish/tutorialish, pass it along!
    Jim Darlack - Reference Librarian at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    Gloucester Assembly of God | Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    The 'Unofficial' BibleWorks Blog | Old in the New | Facebook | LibraryThing