Thread: Better Hebrew Font for BBW?

Default Better Hebrew Font for BBW?

Is there a way to substitute the standard Hebrew font that comes with BibleWorks with another font? I realize that not any Hebrew font will work due to keyboard mapping, etc. Does anyone know of any BBW compatible substitutes?

Thanks
    xyvmh [wvy ~vb ~wlv
    www.hebrew4christians.com

Quote Originally Posted by John Parsons View Post
    Is there a way to substitute the standard Hebrew font that comes with BibleWorks with another font? I realize that not any Hebrew font will work due to keyboard mapping, etc. Does anyone know of any BBW compatible substitutes?
    I think the only way you could do that -- and it would more than likely be disastrious -- is to rename your own fonts to those that BW employs. If you're going to try that, it goes without saying to backup your BW fonts first.

I'd be surprised if you were satisfied with the results though.

Quote Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
    I think the only way you could do that -- and it would more than likely be disastrious -- is to rename your own fonts to those that BW employs. If you're going to try that, it goes without saying to backup your BW fonts first.

I'd be surprised if you were satisfied with the results though.
    That wouldn't work unless the font had the exact same character map as the BibleWorks fonts, in which case it wouldn't even be necessary to do the name switching, you could just tell the browse window to use whatever else font you prefer. I'm sure it's possible to use an existing font and remap it to match BibleWorks, but it would probably take a good bit of work.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    That wouldn't work unless the font had the exact same character map as the BibleWorks fonts, in which case it wouldn't even be necessary to do the name switching, you could just tell the browse window to use whatever else font you prefer. I'm sure it's possible to use an existing font and remap it to match BibleWorks, but it would probably take a good bit of work.
    I think Windows would try to force the conversion without an exact duplicate of the character map. However, as I said, the results would probably be disastrous.

Then again, the browse window fonts are not unicode. I think BW was smart to keep the browse window fonts proprietary for the time being. Until the standard becomes more... standard ... adoptiing a change now could be disastrous down the road.

Default Fonts

There is no practical way to replace the current disply font use in BibleWorks for Hebrew. You would have to replace it with a new font with the same name and same character map. The name of the font is used internally and can't be changed. The advantage for us of keeping the internal display fonts separate is that we have complete control. We can even (and do) create and display characters that don't occur in the Unicode character set). With a program like FontLab it would be fairly easy to copy other characters into the BW font but this would have to be done with great care. Thye accent and vowel positions in our font have been tuned very carefully for optimal display.

Some day we will probably change the display fonts to Unicode, but we don't have any specific short term plans to do this.

Mike