Thread: Paragraph Markers

Default Paragraph Markers

I believe the BibleWorks Help file seems to indicate that the paragraph markers that can be toggled in the Browse Window are specific to the RSV (Revised Standard Version) only. Does anyone know if this is correct? For example, if I turn on the paragraph markers feature, will the same paragraph divisions show up in every version and database? (My preference, of course, would be that the paragraph markers were version specific) Grateful for any help out there?

Thanks,

Irving Salzman

You are correct. The paragraph markers are from the RSV, but when you have them toggled on they display with all Bible versions. They were added sometime in BW7 as a trial, because a number of users were asking for them. BW simply used the most readily available pararaphing. It is not yet capable of version-specific paragraphing or even line breaks within verses. An exception is the German Herder version, which uses a visible slash / for line breaks. My guess is that adding such markings might slow up or alter the way BW searches work. But that would be for the programers to determine.
    Mark Eddy

Default Thanks

Thanks for the reply.

It would be great to have version specific paragraph markers. The versions don't always agree amongst themselves on the different paragraph units. For that reason, I always like to compare the versions against each other. While the paragraph markers feature in BW can be seen in all the bible databases, it is somewhat misrepresentative since the paragraph markers are really proprietary to the RSV. I'm not faulting anyone; I believe I read that BibleWorks gets the the electronic bible texts from the various bible publishers without paragraph markers. So, in order to have version specific paragraph markers, it would entail a painstaking, manual effort by an already taxed, small staff. A great staff which does a great job, by the way! (I'm very thankful for their dedicated service!) But, hopefully, one day, version specific paragraph markers can become the norm in BW. I'll put it on my Christmas or Hanukkah wish list!

By the way, when you mention line breaks within verses, do you mean like when things like poetry are reflected in the original language text? Just curious to know what you meant by the line breaks. Thanks again for your reply.

Irving Salzman