Thread: Vulgate/Latin tools like lexicons, etc.

Default Vulgate/Latin tools like lexicons, etc.

Hello,

I wonder if there is a Latin dictionary and grammar that can be linked to the Vulgate texts like the Greek has. I think the Greek tools are really great, and I bet the Hebrew ones, too, though I don't use them much.

Are there any such things comparable for the Latin, either in the BW package or unlockable/downloadable? As people say the BW package is very big so, though I can't see it, I would ask.

Does anyone know any other sources on the Web that might help? I am essentially teaching myself Latin, as well as looking at the Vulgate in the context of the Greek and English.

Thank you very much.

Hardee Mahoney
    Washington, DC

Default Lots of Latin!

If you want to learn Latin (and Greek) then take a trip to http://www.textkit.com/

There are *lots* of free grammars, readers, etc. for downloading, all in PDF format. Enjoy!

Regards,

Ewan MacLeod

Default BW 6.0 links to Perseus

Quote Originally Posted by Hardee
    Are there any such things comparable for the Latin, either in the BW package or unlockable/downloadable? As people say the BW package is very big so, though I can't see it, I would ask.
    If you have 6.0 they added links to the Perseus website to Greek and Latin.

If you display the VUL and right click on a word you should see at the bottom of the context menu an option to "Lookup in Latin Morphology at Perseus."

Not an "internal" lexicon or grammar, but a great feature.
    Joe Fleener

jfleener@digitalexegesis.com
    Home Page: www.digitalexegesis.com
    Blog: http://emethaletheia.blogspot.com/

Annotated Bibliography of Online Research Tools: www.digitalexegesis.com/bibliography

User Created BibleWorks Modules: www.digitalexegesis.com/bibleworks

Psalm 46:11
    `#r<a'(B' ~Wra' ~yIAGB; ~Wra' ~yhi_l{a/ ykinOa'-yKi W[d>W WPr>h;

Hardee asked:
    "I wonder if there is a Latin dictionary and grammar that can be linked to the Vulgate texts like the Greek has."

Answer: No, there is no Latin dictionary or grammer linked to the Vulgate in BW.

Are there any such things comparable for the Latin, either in the BW package or unlockable/downloadable?

Answer: No, currently there are no tools for Latin in BW comparable to those for Greek and Hebrew which are included in the BW package. However, in addition to what Joe wrote, from within BW you can access the Perseus web site by clicking on "Resources" then "Web resourses" and "Open Smyth Greek Grammar at Perseus". Then (after you are on line) from within the Perseus site (which opens as a separate browser window) you can access a Latin dictionary and grammar to get the information you need. It's slow, but if you have the time, it works.

God bless you as you explore BibleWorks.
    Mark Eddy
    Last edited by Mark Eddy; 07-31-2004 at 04:38 PM.

Lightbulb "Words"--free Latin dictionary/analysis tool

I recently came across the following website and brought it to Mike Bushell's attention. It looks like this program known as "Words" is something that could possibly be incorporated into BW for those of us who would like more Latin resources. At the very least perhaps it could be used to produce a "morphological database."

http://users.erols.com/whitaker/words.htm Here's a description:

"This Latin dictionary program, (WORDS for the PC - DOS, Windows 95/98/NT/ME/2000/XP, OS/2, LINUX - and Mac OS X - console versions), takes keyboard input or a file of Latin text lines and provides an analysis/morphology (declension, conjugation, case, tense, etc.) of each word individually, the dictionary form, and the translation (meaning)."
    There's also a pretty helpful site that is using this database to provide a "parsed" Vulgate: http://douay.mrklingon.org/

It may be helpful to post a message to this thread if you think such a tool would be a good idea. That way the folks at BW would get an idea of the demand for such a tool. When it comes to issues of textual criticism and extra biblical resources (i.e. Augustine, Early Church Fathers, Greco-Roman resources and Latin OT Pseudepigrapha) this tool could have real potential!

~Jim
    Jim Darlack - Associate Director of Goddard Library /
    Reference Librarian at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary

Gloucester Assembly of God | Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    The 'Unofficial' BibleWorks Blog | Old in the New | Facebook | LibraryThing

Since Latin is nobody's native tongue any more, if BW could include a Latin dictionary (and morphology), that woud make it quicker for us to look up unfamiliarl words and constructions, and keep us from making the mistake of reading our native language back into its Latin roots, that would be great. Tracing the history of translation and interpretation of the Bible is a lot easier when we understand how our understanding was shifted and/or sifted through the Latin language before being passed on to us.

In Christ,
    Mark Eddy

There is a usefull latin vulgate dictionary of which you can download for free here:

http://www.onlinebible.net/downloads.html

You have to download the programme first and then download the vulgate, vugate apocrypha and dictionary seperately, it a bit basic, but's useful and may help you pick up latin word meanings and maybe also by comparing the douay rheims.