Thread: No such thing as Russian or Ukrainian language

Hybrid View

Default No such thing as Russian or Ukrainian language

I live in Ukraine, mostly use Russian language but sometimes Ukrainian. BW does not have Russian or Ukrainian language - it has Cyrillic. And I can choose whether I want Russian or Ukrainian layout for it. But I need Russian layout for Russian Bibles and Ukainian layout for Ukrainian Bibles.
    Russian and Ukainian languages have differences in about 5 characters! I can't use one layout for two languages, just as probably with English & Danish.

Do I have to go to BW keyboard setup layout window to change layout for "cyrillic" from Russian to Ukrainian each time I change the search version from RST to UKR and back?

I thought - I will simply go to manual mode for keyboards, and will be switching to Ukrainian manually when I need to search it. When I tried to do that, I found that as soon as I type 1 character in Ukrainian, BW changes it back to Russian (in command line). Never had that before when worked in free Bible Online program that does not have half of BW functionality.

Have any such problems ever arised with other languages? Have they ever been fixed? How long it usually takes? I got BW8 just a couple weeks ago. Just wonder what to expect? In next version?

I like to use BW8 to work with original languages, but if I need another program to work with my own language that's bad.
    Last edited by dmivapi; 06-19-2009 at 06:58 AM.

You most likely will not have to wait until the next update of BibleWorks before your problem is fixed. The programmers are very good at fixing bugs in the software and making them available (in BibleWorks click on "Help" then "BibleWorks on the Internet" then "Check for Updates"). Because the programmers do not read Russian, it may be more difficult to deal with your problem than for those in English, but if you can write to Customer Support: Click here and list the exact steps you take to produce the problem, they are usually able to fix the problem quickly (within days). I suspect that not many people use the Ukranian Bible as much as you do. So you may know better than the programmers how it should work.
    Mark Eddy

We are now in version 9, but there is still no differentiation between Russian and Ukrainian languages. Any thoughts on how it could be fixed manually? Thank you.
    Last edited by doslidnyk; 05-17-2013 at 10:24 AM.