Thread: DSS English translation bundle

Default DSS English translation bundle

Dear Colleagues: I have recently purchased the DDS ET Bundle (both biblical and sectarian texts). When I activated the modules, they appear separately (QBSET, QSET). However, when I search for them via Display Versions, I see only QBE Dead Sea Scrolls English Biblical text. So should I assume that this contains both biblical and sectarian texts? Am I missing something?

Many thanks,
    --Joe

BibleWorks currently includes the Dead Sea Scrolls sectarian texts in Hebrew only, not in English translation. The Hebrew version is QST.
    Currently BibleWorks 8 includes an English translation of the biblical texts found among the Dead Sea Scrolls. It is the version QBE. There is also a version of these DSS biblical translations available among the "Resources" under the heading "Backgrounds." It is called "Dead Sea Scrolls Bible." Non-biblical books are discussed in this latter Resource, but the actual texts of those writing (e.g. Jubilees) is not included in QBE.
    BibleWorks currently has no text of Qumran biblical texts in Hebrew. So you will not be able to view QST and QBE in the same results window. And you will not be able to search both at the same time. Perhaps this is a cause of confusion. And perhaps, in time, there will be an English translation of the sectarian manuscripts [as a searchable version, edit] as well as a Hebrew/Aramaic version of the actual DSS biblical texts. But I suspect that this may be some time off and many dollars later.
    Mark Eddy
    Mia culpa. Jim is correct. I have overlooked the Wise-Abegg-Cook sectarian text English translation for months. Having Wise-Abegg-Cook in HTML will make QST easier to use.
    Last edited by Mark Eddy; 06-04-2009 at 11:40 PM. Reason: erroneous information in my original post

Default You actually purchased 3 things.

Joe,

The English Dead Sea Scrolls bundle actually includes 3 separate things:

1. The QBE version, which can be treated like any other version in BibleWorks in the search and browse windows. It contains only the biblical writings.
    2. A BibleWorks Compiled HTML Help module of the biblical writings.
    3. A BibleWorks Compiled HTML Help module of the sectarian writings.

To access the last two, which include a wealth of notes and background information, on the menu line select

Resources
    Backgrounds
    Abegg-Flint-Ulrich, The Dead Sea Scrolls Bible
    Wise-Abegg-Cook, The Dead Sea Scrolls (this is the sectarian texts)

I think you will find information in the "Resources" form that will make the "version" form more useful to you.

Addendum:
    If you display the version information for QBE (with the analysis window showing, move you mouse pointer over the QBE prefix in the browse window) you will see further information about both 1 & 2 above, and a link to 2.
    (The version information display frequently has useful information -- it's worth checking out when you meet a new BibleWorks version)

Shalom,
    Jim
    Last edited by Jim Wert; 06-04-2009 at 09:38 PM. Reason: added addendum

Default Many gracious thanks...

Dear Mark and Jim: Many gracious thanks for your prompt and informative responses. Quite helpful.
    Thanks.
    --Joe

What are the chances that the secterian manuscripts (English version) will be turned into a regular database - so that it can be displayed along with the Hebrew text?

I hope this will be the case soon!

Morten

I'd like to put in my vote for a BW version that contains the DSS Biblical texts in the original languages. I cannot over-emphasize how incredibly helpful such a resource would be for OT Textual Criticism. Has any work been done toward making this happen? What can I do to help make it a reality?
    Last edited by rdtaylorjr; 04-08-2010 at 04:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MortenJensen View Post
    What are the chances that the secterian manuscripts (English version) will be turned into a regular database - so that it can be displayed along with the Hebrew text?

Morten
    I too hope this will be done soon, but 'soon' may be understood eschatologically.

Default Let your voice be heard!

Quote Originally Posted by MortenJensen View Post

Morten
    Please please please please please request this through official channels. I've wanted this for years. It's crazy to have to use a CHM file to work with the QSM.

The more requests that users put in for the same thing, the more likely the feature will be pushed up the list of priorities. Sometimes its good to be a squeaky wheel.

~J
    Jim Darlack - Reference Librarian at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    Gloucester Assembly of God | Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    The 'Unofficial' BibleWorks Blog | Old in the New | Facebook | LibraryThing