Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BW7 to HALOT in Libronix

Default BW7 to HALOT in Libronix

I get segments of it here, but don't seem to be able to find the exact set-up for accessing Libronix where I have HALOT (can't afford to buy another BW version). I would love to be able to right click on a Hebrew word and choose HALOT to have it look up that word, or even that verse, since I believe HALOT has a verse view that shows all the roots in that verse. Can somebody show me exactly how to program that? Once directed to Libronix can I also easily check references in my Contexts in Scripture?

Michael Dick
    Siena College
    Loudonville, NY

Default Alas, woe is me

I cried in the wilderness and nobody heard me.
    Michael Dick

Default I have heard your cry...

I don't have HALOT in Logos, but playing around w/ linking from BW7 to BDB in Logos, the external link manager has to be set something like this:

BW provides Lemma w/ Hebrew Text
    Browse Window Hebrew NULL
    (NAME) Logos HALOT lemma lookup
    libronixdls:macro|name=TextKeyLink|text=<dummy>|la ng=he|scheme=beta|res=LLS:HAL
    NULL
    (NAME)

(For some reason, this thing always adds a space in the exectuable line. Be sure to have no spaces.)
    This should at least open up HALOT for you, but it won't bring you to the word. I was working from Greek examples and trying to make it work for Hebrew.
    Questions I have to fix and others may help:
    Does indeed "lang=he"? I was guessing on that.
    Is it "scheme=beta"?
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Default oh, yeah

One other problem why this may not work so well:
    I'm not sure how the text is picking up the Hebrew lemma given the way the Hebrew words are composed. You may have to work with a morphology text instead.

Another option:
    You can also set it to run a search in HALOT.
    libronixdls:dialog|name=SearchBasic|search=<dummy> |lang=he|scheme=beta|res=LLS:HAL

Again, that is not returning the correct Hebrew, but the first part of the line will get you started.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman

Default Making Progress...

I have not yet figured out how to search for a Hebrew form/lemma in Logos, but I did get help on the Logos newsgroup for searching for a verse reference in a resource like HALOT.

Here's how to fill in the boxes for the External Links editor:
    BW provides: Verse Reference
    with... Bible Verse
    Menu Location: Browse Window All or you could use Browse Window Hebrew
    Map Verses using: RSV
    Menu entry text: Lookup Verse in HALOT
    Executable: (next line; make sure there are no spaces; this editor want to put a space in "chapter")
    libronixdls:dialog-bar|name=GoToReference|res=LLS:HAL|ref=<book>.<cha pter>.<verse>

Parameters: NULL
    Description: Lookup Verse in HALOT

I'm trying to figure out how to link to a collection. Will report back later...
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman

Default update

It turns out that you can NOT pass a collection parameter to the Reference Browser. So, you will need to search by verse, one resource at a time. Of course, it's not a big deal to switch to a collection once you are in Logos.

Still waiting to hear from BibleWorks folks how to indicate a Hebrew form/lemma...
    Last edited by MGVH; 03-21-2008 at 10:39 AM.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman

Default Link with Halot

I have achieved a approximation of what I need. If I right click on a word in BW7, it will open up a search on that verse in my OTGroup in Libronix. So for HALOT it will open up a list of all the Hebrew words in that verse and I can click the word to open up HALOT. However since it is not lexeme linked but rather verse linked, it will not find lexemes in the new Inscription program I bought in Libronix.
    Michael

Default Linking to BW 8

I'm a (new) Bibleworks 8 user (which will probably manifest itself by my ignorance on these matters), and when I use the above instructions to try to search a verse in HALOT from BW, Libronix opens up a "Reference Browser" window instead of HALOT. 2 questions- #1: how do I fix this? #2: is there a better way to link Bibleworks to Logos in BW 8? I appreciate that it is possible to link them, but doesn't it seem a bit archaic and complicated to have to enter stuff into command lines? I mean, why should I have to remember specific commands like this...

libronixdls:macro|name=TextKeyLink|text=<dummy>|la ng=el|scheme=beta|res=LLS:46.30.18

...to link BW to BDAG in logos? Is there some basic logic to this, or do I need to rely on tech-gurus to give me the magic command line for every Libronix resource? Is there at least a published list (in one location) of all the BW external link manager commands for the corresponding Logos resources? Is there an easier way to do this? Thanks.

Default Linking BW and Libronix

Quote Originally Posted by nylonguitar View Post
    I'm a (new) Bibleworks 8 user (which will probably manifest itself by my ignorance on these matters), and when I use the above instructions to try to search a verse in HALOT from BW, Libronix opens up a "Reference Browser" window instead of HALOT. 2 questions- #1: how do I fix this? #2: is there a better way to link Bibleworks to Logos in BW 8?
    Is there some basic logic to this, or do I need to rely on tech-gurus to give me the magic command line for every Libronix resource? Is there at least a published list (in one location) of all the BW external link manager commands for the corresponding Logos resources? Is there an easier way to do this? Thanks.
    Welcome! You pile on the questions . Let's see if some can be answered without too much confusion.

#1: I don't have HALOT in Libronix, so can't help you specifically here. I have yet to understand how BW sends a Hebrew word or lemma (such as R-to-L or L-to-R, what font set is assumed, accenting, etc.) nor how Libronix would expect to receive such and reference such in its indexing method for a given Hebrew lexicon.
    #2: There are several ways. (a) You can establish a Libronix workspace where you link a Bible to an Exegetical Guide, then have BW send a reference to that Bible-this has a lot of drawbacks. (b) You could call an intervening script to run a Libronix report, such as the Exegetical Guide. http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3402 (c) You can directly call a Libronix resource or that is indexed to a Bible reference, English words, or others. A rather dated summary is here: http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/sho...t=1158&page=10

The Libronix resource identification can be found in LDLS via: (1) You find the resource name through making that resource the active window, then HELP>ABOUT THIS RESOURCE. The resource name is what's listed in the file address under resource location, minus other file info. OR (2) In Logos:Open library Identify book press shift ctrl alt together and left mouse click. The ID number for the book will appear in the library window.

I'm sorry there is no master list because different BW users have different objectives in jumping to various Libronix resources. You should be able to create what you need. We can try to help guide you. You may have to learn a couple things to link these differing programs to suit your needs. But once you get your links established, you'll be studying happily.

Another good source for links between the two programs or how to accomplish a given task in either program is: http://bibleandtech.blogspot.com/ Also, there a number of BW user created databases at http://bibleworks.oldinthenew.org/

Default BDF Grammar: a test case

Thank you for your help. I've been able to link BW to the following Logos materials: LSJ, BDAG, TDNT, EDNT, and the exegetical/passage guides. The two remaining Logos resources that I would most like to link to BW (not counting HALOT, of course) are the following: the BDF Grammar and Van Der Merwe's Hebrew Reference Grammar. Since it sounds like the Greek resources are easier, perhaps you can guide me through that one. My main question is how do I know what to type in the "web page, file to open, or exe to run" dialogue box in the ELM? I think if I ever get that figured out, life would be a lot easier. Could you provide me with this information and explain how you got it? I found the resource location in libronix, but I'm still not sure exactly what to do with that regarding the above dialogue box.
    Last edited by nylonguitar; 02-16-2009 at 10:04 PM. Reason: clarification