Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not Exporting/viewing Qere

Default Not Exporting/viewing Qere

Is there a way to keep the Qere readings from appearing on the screen?

Also, is there a way to prevent the Qere readings from being exported to my word processer?

It (at times) is annoying and there are times when I'd prefer if they were not printed.

Thanks.
    Last edited by jimofbentley; 05-20-2009 at 11:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimofbentley View Post
    Is there a way to keep the Qere readings from appearing on the screen?...
    On the status bar at the bottom of BibleWorks there is an option for both the qere and kethib.

This is nonsense, Adelphos, and an insult to the customers/users of BbileWorks. There is no way of turning off qere on the screen or when you export text to a Word file. The qere readings with their brackets are hardwired into the Hebrew package you rent from Westminster. Let's be honest about what we're maeketing!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Fincke View Post
    This is nonsense, Adelphos, and an insult to the customers/users of BbileWorks. There is no way of turning off qere on the screen or when you export text to a Word file. The qere readings with their brackets are hardwired into the Hebrew package you rent from Westminster. Let's be honest about what we're maeketing!
    I misunderstood the question and simply assumed that he meant searches, which can be turned on/off at the status bar.

Moreover, I don't think misunderstanding a question is an insult to users of BibleWorks, only an insult to an arrogant perfectionist. Morever, I notice that the only time you show up here is to either complain or ask for help, but rarely, if ever, have I ever seen you offer to help anyone else. Perhaps if you did you might make a mistake now and then.
    Last edited by Adelphos; 05-25-2009 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimofbentley View Post
    Is there a way to keep the Qere readings from appearing on the screen?
    Now that I'v read your question more carefully, the one way I know of to deal with this is export the WTT to text file, remove all the qere readings (should be farily easy with a global replace on everything between brackets), and then recompile into a user database version. That way you would have a clean kethib hebrew file. Vice-versa if you wanted to remove all the kethibs.

The way to do it, Scott, is to tell Kurt Lowery at Westminster to clean up his act and create a neat Hebrew text without bracketed krap all over the place. And when that's done, include the maqefs with the accents that can be switched off in display and exporting. And for people who want qeres, give them the option of having a popup window ask them each time a qere'd verse comes up "Do you want to see the qere?" (Sorry about the misspellings in the last post)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Fincke View Post
    The way to do it, Scott, is to tell Kurt Lowery at Westminster to clean up his act and create a neat Hebrew text without bracketed krap all over the place. And when that's done, include the maqefs with the accents that can be switched off in display and exporting. And for people who want qeres, give them the option of having a popup window ask them each time a qere'd verse comes up "Do you want to see the qere?" (Sorry about the misspellings in the last post)
    Andrew,

The problem, to the extent that it is a problem, is not with Kurt. They provide the data and we as developers are at liberty to display the text as best suits our program and user base. We have displayed the qere-kethiv in the browse window for some 13 years and to my knowlege no one has complained. This can be changed but it is not a trivial change for technical reasons which I won't go into here. We have hundreds of requests for improvements and changes and a small programming staff. We have to prioritize. The requests that go to the top of the list are the ones that affect a lot of users and those that are relatively easy to implement and are requested in a thoughtful way without complaints and epithets. Unless they affect a large number of users, suggestions offered with words like "krap" (your spelling) and phrases like "an insult to BibleWorks users" go right to the bottom of the heap. I have been known, on countless occasions to stay up all night to implement a change needed by one person, but I have never done it for someone who didn't show proper respect to us or to other users.

You do have the option of creating a new version from the exported WTM text, as others have suggested, with the qere (and anything else you want) removed. It is not hard to do and there are many on this forum who would no doubt be willing to help you (if you asked respectfully). Failing that we will add this issue to our list of development items.

Mike Bushell
    BibleWorks, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
    Moreover, I don't think misunderstanding a question is an insult to users of BibleWorks, only an insult to an arrogant perfectionist. Morever, I notice that the only time you show up here is to either complain or ask for help, but rarely, if ever, have I ever seen you offer to help anyone else. Perhaps if you did you might make a mistake now and then.
    Scott,

Chuck Swindoll has a quote in one of his books, the one on Ecclesiastes, "Living Above the Ragged Edge" I think it's called. He got it from his dad I believe. It goes something like, "When you get kicked by a jack@ass, consider the source."

Also FWIW, don't be too surprised if you find out that there are two posters in this thread who are actually one and the same. JMHO.

Scott

Fire away Andrew. As far as I'm concerned, nothing tickles quite like the kick of a certain petting zoo animal.

Quote Originally Posted by SCSaunders View Post
    ...As far as I'm concerned, nothing tickles quite like the kick of a certain petting zoo animal...
    Chuckle.

Quote Originally Posted by MBushell View Post
    ...I have been known, on countless occasions to stay up all night to implement a change needed by one person...
    I do think you should give proper credit to Dr. Pepper for your ability to do this!