Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thomas & Gundry Harmony file

Quote Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post

I vote that we put in a feature request. Anybody else?
    Maybe I'm the slow one, but I didn't understand how the Support response answered the question. In any event, I think it would be a good thing for it to do. It can already display John 1:1-10, it would make sense to me that it ought also be able to display John 1:1-2:2. Now I'm not sure I'd say it's a high priority, but I do think it is something to add to the list.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    Maybe I'm the slow one, but I didn't understand how the Support response answered the question.
    It didn't for me either, but I didn't want to press the issue without at least one other supporter. As you say, since it can already support multiple verses -- except across chapter boundaries -- I would consider it more of a bug than not. Perhaps the powers that be will read this thread and give it a quick fix.

I would not call it a bug, since BibleWorks never said that it would work the way we would like it to work.
    Other BW databases, such as Comfort and Barrett, also have some multiple-chapter verse ranges which BibleWorks does not read correctly. That could be considered a bug.
    Concerning this "problem" with the synopsis files, I simply learned to use different syntax in the synopsis file entries in order to get them to display all the verses. Instead of writing:
    Joh 7:53-8:11
    you can write:
    Joh 7:53; Joh 8:1-11
    and the synopsis tool will read it just fine, only with a line break between chapters.
    But the suggestion to have BW read references across chapter lines is fine with me, though I suspect that this might add considerable complexity to the way BW looks up verses. And would BW also want to be able to read across book line, e.g. 1Sa 31:10-2Sa 1:9?

But while we're on the topic of the synopsis tool, does anyone else have the problem I have, namely, that the synopsis tool displays versions which are not specified in the synopsis tool? E.g. on my computer PNT displays in all my NT synopsis files, and PJE displays in all OT synopsis files. But none of the synopsis files designates either of these version as a display version.

Mark Eddy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eddy View Post
    Concerning this "problem" with the synopsis files, I simply learned to use different syntax in the synopsis file entries in order to get them to display all the verses. Instead of writing:
    Joh 7:53-8:11
    you can write:
    Joh 7:53; Joh 8:1-11
    and the synopsis tool will read it just fine, only with a line break between chapters.
    I didn't know that. It is excellent, and as far as I'm concerned it's good enough. No need to distract the programmers from more important work, as this really works just fine. It should, however, be noted in the help file.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eddy View Post
    But while we're on the topic of the synopsis tool, does anyone else have the problem I have, namely, that the synopsis tool displays versions which are not specified in the synopsis tool? E.g. on my computer PNT displays in all my NT synopsis files, and PJE displays in all OT synopsis files. But none of the synopsis files designates either of these version as a display version.
    I don't have this problem, or anything like it. Just out of curiosity, do either of these ghost versions happen to also be display versions in your browse window? If so, that might narrow down the problem for the programmers.

I don't have this problem, or anything like it. Just out of curiosity, do either of these ghost versions happen to also be display versions in your browse window? If so, that might narrow down the problem for the programmers.
    No, neither of these extraneous versions is a display version on any of my tabs for the browse window. They are included in one of my "favorites," but not one that is active now. I've had the problem at least since last fall, and I notified the programmers, but nobody else seems to have duplicated the problem.
    Thanks for checking into this.
    Mark Eddy

I didn't know that. It is excellent, and as far as I'm concerned it's good enough. ...
    Same POV here. Very nice and simple work around.