Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where is the missing QEOS ?

Default Where is the missing QEOS ?

Dear BW-Users,

when you compare the occourrances of QEOS (God) in the byz. Text (BYM) with the alex. Text of Nestle/Aland (BNM), you get a difference of 22, as the Word List Manager (WLM) lists for BYM 1339 and for the BNM-Text 1317 occourrances of QEOS. That makes a difference of 22. So far so good.

But when I search with the GSE (see attachment) the exact verses where this difference exists, I get the following verses:

Matt. 19:17; 21:12; 22:30; Mk. 10:6; Lk. 4:4; 12:31; 21:4; Jn. 9:35; Acts 8:22; 13:32, 44; 15:18, 40; 20:25; Rom. 10:17; 14:4; Col. 3:15, 22; 1 Tim. 3:16; Heb. 10:9; 1 Pet. 3:15; Rev. 1:4; 20:9

That makes 23 occourrences of verses, where BYM has QEOS while BNM omits this word.

How can the lacking QEOS in the WLM-Search be explained or where is my mistake ?

Thank you in advance !
    Peter, Germany

www.streitenberger.com
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Peter; 05-01-2009 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    How can the lacking QEOS in the WLM-Search be explained or where is my mistake ?
    I'll take a stab at it... and this is just a guess, but I think it may have to do with the morphological tagging in the two databases. The query you made gives you the true number of actual differences, but the WLM is based strictly on the tagging, so I suspect that's where the discrepancy lies.

You can scrutinize the morphologies in each word list to see if that's it, although that might be quite time consuming.

I don't think the Word Manager and GSE processes are equivalent. Remember that the BYM has verses where theos occurs but BNM doesn't have theos. But the same is true of BNM. For example, BNM could add a word to a verse and BYM could add the same word to another verses and the worl list comparison would have the same hits.

I recommend using the verse list manager. Search for theos in both BYM and BNM and save the two verse lists. Then use the verse list manager to eliminate the verses common to the two lists.

Mike

Scott and Mike,

thank you for your answers ! I'll try Mike's solution.

best regards
    Peter

Dear Mike,

I just tried your solution: First I searched BYM and BNM for QEOS (God). So far so good.

In the Vers List Manager I opened BYM in the "Main Verse List" and BNM in the "secondary List".

What shall I do now ? Nothing brought the result I wanted. "Selection" and then "select Verses not common to both lists" marks BNM or BYM as a whole. But I just wanted the verses, where a difference concerning QEOS occurres.

Thank you for further help
    Best regards from Germany
    Peter
    www.streitenberger.com

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Dear Mike,

I just tried your solution: First I searched BYM and BNM for QEOS (God). So far so good.

In the Vers List Manager I opened BYM in the "Main Verse List" and BNM in the "secondary List".

What shall I do now ? Nothing brought the result I wanted. "Selection" and then "select Verses not common to both lists" marks BNM or BYM as a whole. But I just wanted the verses, where a difference concerning QEOS occurres.
    Choose "Select verses common to both lists".
    Then choose "Delete Selected" from the Edit menu. What's left is the verses you want. Then choose "Export to Search Window" where you can work with the list.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MBushell View Post
    Choose "Select verses common to both lists".
    Can anyone confirm this.....

I search for qeoj in SCM, then import search list to VLM main window.

Next I search for qeoj in GNM, then import search list to VLM secondary window.

Now f I choose "Select verses common to both lists" it doesn't work. i.e., no verses are selected in either list.

Nor does it work if I do the inverse, i.e., select verses not common to both lists.

Default Have to Remap verses

In order for the VLM to compare two verse lists, they have to be mapped to the same version.

So when you import, the GNM list, you need to select the whole list and then Edit > remap.

That will allow you to compare the two lists.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Brown View Post
    In order for the VLM to compare two verse lists, they have to be mapped to the same version.
    Thank, Philip. I remembered that after I posted, but I didn't think it had always been that way. Now that I've backtracked mentally, I can see that it's never changed.

Thank you all indeed ! Now it works wunderful ! So it's a very intelligent way to compare two versions.

See you soon
    Peter, Germany

www.streitenberger.com