Thread: GSE Help...

Hybrid View

Question GSE Help...

Hi. I am trying to search for all occurrences of the particular hebrew lemma "hesed" and it's greek counterparts in the LXX other than the words "eleos" and "dikaiosunh". In other words, how would someone use the GSE to find the remaining 70 greek words used to translate "hesed"? Any ideas? I sure would appreciate it!

With much gratitude...
    John Mark

Quote Originally Posted by jmbpastor View Post
    Hi. I am trying to search for all occurrences of the particular hebrew lemma "hesed" and it's greek counterparts in the LXX other than the words "eleos" and "dikaiosunh". In other words, how would someone use the GSE to find the remaining 70 greek words used to translate "hesed"? Any ideas? I sure would appreciate it!

With much gratitude...
    John Mark
    You want to use the Tov-Polak, Parallel Hebrew-LXX tool. (You should be able to find it under Resources menu. Once you open it, use the search menu for searching Hebrew-LXX equivalents.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Default Thank you...

I tried that but I seem to get unwanted variables...
    Is there no way to use the GSE? Perhaps it would be better to search on the form instead of the lemma which I don't think you can do in the BHS/LXX resource as is.

Thanks again,
    John
    Last edited by jmbpastor; 04-18-2009 at 06:27 PM.

Is there no way to use the GSE?
    Yes, the GSE can easily do what you want. Simply set up a word box for each word and make sure you NOT the words you don't want.

Talking Thank you

Great! Thanks so much!

Great! Thanks so much!
    You perhaps might be new to BW and the GSE can sometimes be intimidating. Accordingly, I've enclosed a query that does most of what you want. All you must do is add the word box for dikaios and NOT it as has been done for eleos.

I made this query when the GSE first came out (then ASE) just to test the basic functionality of this type of query. As you can see, it has two of your words already set up.

Please take note that this does not have a one-to-one relation on how the word hesed is translated in the LXX. Rather, it merely finds all words where hesed exists in the WTT and excludes all verses where eleos exists in the LXX in the corresponding verse.

However, this is still very accurate. Off the top of my head I don't know where there might be any distinctions, but if you really wanted to get particular you could use the WLM to sort it out even further.

You can also switch your versions from WTT/LXX to morphology versions to specify roots instead of forms.

In any case, take a good look at the enclosed query. It is very basic, but it should be informative.
    Last edited by Adelphos; 11-23-2009 at 10:04 PM.