Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Check Box Search Bug

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,030

    Default Check Box Search Bug

    I make SCR my search version. I type .pistoj on the CL. It gives me 33 verses. I leave them all checked.

    I now type KJV on the CL to make that my search version. Then I Limit Search To Checked Verses via the context menu.

    I now type .faithful on the CL. It returns 0 hits, which is of course erroneous. I am using the latest update.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    839

    Default Bug reports

    Scott,
    Please report bugs via the procedure at http://www.bibleworks.com/support.html. That's not really the purpose of the forum. Bugs reported here may or may not be seen by anyone at BibleWorks. Staff looks in on the forum occasionally but there is no guarantee of that and no guarantee that bugs reported here will be entered into the bug queue. The forum is mainly intended as a means for users to interact with each other. If frequent staff interaction results in large scale bypassing of primary reporting channels, BibleWorks staff will have to completely avoid the forums, and none of us want that. The reason we do it this way is for efficiency. BibleWorks tech support staff are trained to deal with bugs and track them. They can't do their job if they are not the primary reporting venue.
    Thanks,
    Mike

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MBushell View Post
    Scott,
    Please report bugs via the procedure at http://www.bibleworks.com/support.html.
    Okay, but the purpose of the post was to see if anyone else could reproduce the problem. Although I find this problem on both of my computers, I share files with both computers so I wanted to make sure that it's not specific to me. The purpose of the post was to see if anyone could reproduce it, and then, if so, to then report it via Support.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    923

    Default

    Scott,
    Yes, I can reproduce your problem. Also, if you click on the arrow to the right of the command line and click on the previous SCR search from the drop-down list, that original search comes up with zero hits as well.
    Mark Eddy

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eddy View Post
    Scott,
    Yes, I can reproduce your problem. Also, if you click on the arrow to the right of the command line and click on the previous SCR search from the drop-down list, that original search comes up with zero hits as well.
    Mark Eddy
    Thanks, Mark. I sent the report to CS.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    392

    Default

    I find the same thing happens using first BGT and then NRS. In fact when I do what Mark mentions and click on the arrow to go to the previous BGT search, BW crashes altogether.

    I also find that even if I stay with the original search version and select "Limit Search To Checked Verses," it returns zero results, when I know that there should be one or more.

    Makes me wonder what the "Limit Search To Checked Verses" option is actually for.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    839

    Default Checkbox search

    Quote Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
    Okay, but the purpose of the post was to see if anyone else could reproduce the problem. Although I find this problem on both of my computers, I share files with both computers so I wanted to make sure that it's not specific to me. The purpose of the post was to see if anyone could reproduce it, and then, if so, to then report it via Support.
    I understand Scott. We have to stipulate occasionally that the official channel for bug reports is through the web site and company e-mail addresses. You were sort of in the wrong place at the wrong time and got hit by the bullet that gets fired occasionally :-)

    The limit search to checked verses was intended to be used only with the original search version. That's why it doesn't work. It's not really a bug. It's just using a feature beyond the intended range of use. We can make it work in the manner you are using it here, but it gets very very complicated very quickly. Just think about it. The old verse list must first be remapped to the new version. Then the search has to be done and either (1) convert the new hits to the old version or (2) convert the old list to the new version. Remember verse numbers may differ between versions. The conversion back and forth can actually remove verses that you may want. In general if you convert one version to another version and back you won't get all the verses back because some versions have verses that others don't.

    The best way to avoid all this is to convert the verse list to the second version (using the command line "convert" command. Then do the second search. That way you see the intermediate steps and are less likely to be surprised.

    However, if people want to do what you are suggesting, the capability can certainly be added and I'll stick it on my list. Just be aware of the possible pitfallls and confusion.

    Mike

  8. #8

    Default It also works if...

    I'm not sure what Mike means by "convert" on the command line...

    I do it by left click on green bar just below command law and choose bottom option to Synchronize Results List
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MBushell View Post
    I understand Scott. We have to stipulate occasionally that the official channel for bug reports is through the web site and company e-mail addresses. You were sort of in the wrong place at the wrong time and got hit by the bullet that gets fired occasionally :-)
    I'm pretty used to bullets, whether intentional or not.


    Quote Originally Posted by MBushell View Post
    The limit search to checked verses was intended to be used only with the original search version.
    Okay then, here's the problem, I think. I got an email from CS on BibleWorks Classroom Tips, and this very example is one of the two given. The exercise can be found here --

    http://www.bibleworks.com/classroom/2_08/

    I didn't follow the instructions properly, i.e., the ONE thing I didn't do was Synchronize the Results list. When I do that, it works perfectly.

    In short, it's not a bug, and I don't think it needs to be changed. All one must do is synchronize.

    In the future, I'll leave the word "bug" out of the thread header and also ask specifically if anyone can reproduce it.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    839

    Default Yuk

    Quote Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
    Okay then, here's the problem, I think. I got an email from CS on BibleWorks Classroom Tips, and this very example is one of the two given. The exercise can be found here --
    This is an example of the guys in the office going beyond the programmers. I suppose it is a reasonable extension but not one really intended. I can make it work as you describe, but it will be a bit of work because of the verse mismatches between version. I assume this is what you want:

    1. Do a search and uncheck some verses
    2. change versions
    3. do another search which will convert the verse list behind the scenes to the new version, do the search and keep only verses that map to one of the verses in the original list
    4. convert that list back to the original search version and replace the original list.

    Right? Yuk.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •