Thread: OT quotes in the NT in Matthew

Default OT quotes in the NT in Matthew

In Matthew 4:4 it seems to me that Matthew relies more on the LXX as a source than the WTT.

In Matthew 27:46 it seems to me that Matthew felies more on the WTT as a source than the LXX.

My first question: Has anyone done any work on the number of times Matthew follows the LXX as opposed to the WTT or vice versa?

My second question: In general, when Matthew quotes the OT, is there any significance, other than stylistic preference, to citing one source over the other?

My third question: As we approach Passion Week, does anyone have any musings about Matthew 27:46 they care to share?

Textual issues and theological issues belong in the non BibleWorks section. You can use the synopsis tool to open Matthew OT Quotes and see side-by-side comparisons.

With regard to Matthew 27:46, has anyone noticed that Metzger's Commentary does NOT show up in the Analysis window even though there is a section for this verse in Metzger's Commentary? If anyone can confirm, then I'll send this as a verifiable report to customer service.
    Last edited by Adelphos; 04-01-2009 at 08:50 AM.

Metzger shows up in the Resources tab window in the Analysis section.
    Numbers 6:24-26
    יְבָרֶכְךָ יְהוָה וְיִשְׁמְרֶךָ׃
    יָאֵר יְהוָה פָּנָיו אֵלֶיךָ וִיחֻנֶּךָּ׃
    יִשָּׂא יְהוָה פָּנָיו אֵלֶיךָ וְיָשֵׂם לְךָ שָׁלוֹם׃

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Neighoff View Post
    Metzger shows up in the Resources tab window in the Analysis section.
    I'm really beginning to wonder about my DVD, because not only have I had the activation problems, but Metzger does NOT show up in the Resources tab for Matthew 27:46 in my program. Are you sure you're in Matthew 27:46?

Never mind. I forgot to reactivate my modules again after the program forced me to reactivate BibleWorks again, so Metzger didn't show up anywhere. This is getting very annoying.

Yes, I am really looking at Matthew 27:46. It shows me three Ref: Mat 27:46 in Matthew and two ref showing Mat 27:46 in Mark.

For BW8 you should of been provided an unlock code for Metgzer, this was one of the resources that is now a paid module in BW8, the unlock code for provided for those who had this resource in BW7.
    Numbers 6:24-26
    יְבָרֶכְךָ יְהוָה וְיִשְׁמְרֶךָ׃
    יָאֵר יְהוָה פָּנָיו אֵלֶיךָ וִיחֻנֶּךָּ׃
    יִשָּׂא יְהוָה פָּנָיו אֵלֶיךָ וְיָשֵׂם לְךָ שָׁלוֹם׃

Default Sorry for the mistake

Dear forum users,

I do apologize for posting this in the wrong forum. Thank you for your help and patience.

Quote Originally Posted by Precha1 View Post
    Dear forum users,

I do apologize for posting this in the wrong forum. Thank you for your help and patience.
    You have nothing to apologize for. It's just that this area is restricted to the use of BibleWorks, and I suspect you're relatively new to the forum and didn't know. No harm no foul. If memory serves, I might have violated the rule one or two times myself.

If you want to post your questions in the non BibleWorks section, I suspect you'll get some interaction.

Default Archer and Chirichigno, OT Quotes in the NT

Precha1,
    Are you familiar with the BW module reached via Resources/Miscellaneous/Archer and Chirichigno, OT Quotes in the NT?
    It may be of some help in addressing your questions.
    --Jim