Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Free Antivirus Software

Default Free Antivirus Software

Since we "religious" people are a poor lot, generally speaking, you might like to know about the FREE antivirus software program, found here --

http://free.avg.com/homepage-appf8

I have been using this on my netbook, as have others whom I know, and we all love it. I find it less intrusive than Norton or McAfee. Also, the critics have given it very high marks.

As you will see, they also have a fee-based version, but the free version should serve most individual needs.

If you're looking for a free but very good antivirus program, give it a try.

Default Another Option: Avast

I used AVG for a number of years, but it started behaving erratically on a couple of my computers. I switched to Avast, free home edition, and have been entirely satisfied.
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Quote Originally Posted by MGVH View Post
    I used AVG for a number of years, but it started behaving erratically on a couple of my computers. I switched to Avast, free home edition, and have been entirely satisfied.
    Well I'm way behind the eight ball on this. I just found out about these free antivirus programs a couple of months ago. You guys have been holding out on us.

I was using AVGFree 8.x on all of my systems until I went down to Haiti again this year. While there I discovered that my thumbdrive had become infected. AVG could see it but couldn't clean it. So when I returned home I coughed up the hard cash to put Kaspersky Antivirus on my families five computers (I'm a geek). The hard won money was well spent.

Kaspersky instantly cleaned my thumbdrive, a trojan from my laptop (which AVG didn't see), a virus on my wife's computer and two trojans from my kid's computer. Avg saw none of them.

I'll pay to play from now on.

Ditto MGVH! I used to use AVG, but I like AVAST better.

When not checking the BW forum, I hang out at www.DSLReports.com . They talk about all things computer, and then some.

Here is one of their FAQs: Free Anti Virus. I can't vouch for all of them, but in general, the site is pretty trustworthy.

Here is a recent poll of what AVs are most popular among the readership.

Quote Originally Posted by arggem View Post
    Ditto MGVH! I used to use AVG, but I like AVAST better.
    Does the free version of AVAST also provide email protection?

It sure does.

Here are a couple of quotations from the Home Edition page:

The avast! engine also features outstanding unpacking support. It can scan inside the following archives: ARJ, ZIP, MIME (+ all associated formats), MAPI (Outlook pst files), DBX (Outlook Express archives), RAR, TAR, GZIP, CAB, BZIP2, ZOO, ACE, ARC, LHA/LHX, TNEF (winmail.dat), CPIO, CHM, RPM, ISO, 7ZIP and SIS. It also supports a number of executable packers (such as PKLite, Diet, UPX, ASPack, PeShield, FSG, MEW etc.).
    Standard resident protection

Resident protection (the real-time protection of the operating system), is one of the most important parts of an antivirus program today. avast! features a powerful resident module that is able to detect a virus before it has any chance to infect your computer.

avast! Home Edition contains resident protection of the computer file system and a resident module for e-mails and news.
    File system protection ensures that no virus will be started on the computer. It offers a wide range of settings, such as the possibility to specify that files will be scanned during copying, or that the scanning will include files with given set of extensions only.

E-mail/News protection consists of two independent modules; first, there is a generic scanner working on the SMTP/POP3/IMAP4/NNTP protocol level. It is capable of protecting any existing e-mail client that uses these protocols. Second, there is a special plugin for MS Outlook only; the mail scanning is completely transparent, requiring no special settings.

A new feature of version 4 is heuristic analysis of e-mail scanners. This feature can protect against new, unknown viruses and worms that are not possible to detect by the usual means. The heuristic module performs a thorough investigation of every e-mail message and watches for suspicious signs, that might announce virus presence. When the number of those signs exceeds a user-defined level, the message is considered dangerous and the user is warned.
    Oh, and NO I don't work for avast! I just like "free" and "good" in the same sentence.

When AVG starting having those problems, I went back to Norton. As my Norton subscriptions started running out one by one (my wife and daughters have laptops/notebooks), I've been replacing it with Avira. It came highly recommended by our family computer guy. He attends our church and I trust him.

Based on this thread, I think I'll replace my final Norton subscription with Avast.

Excellent info one and all.

Quote Originally Posted by SCSaunders View Post
    Based on this thread, I think I'll replace my final Norton subscription with Avast.
    Ditto. I had no idea all this free stuff at such high quality was available.

I've been pleased with Comodo Internet Security, a free internet security suite (www.comodo.com).