Thread: Converting BW-Greek in documents to the new SBL Greek font - how?

Hybrid View

Default Converting BW-Greek in documents to the new SBL Greek font - how?

Hi all

I am in the situation that an article ready for publication needs to have its BW-Greek-font-citations substituted with the SBL Greek font (the new one).

Could a merciful soul explain to me how this is done the easiest way?
    I know some earlier macros have been prepared to do some of this - but since I am not familiar with macro language, I am afraid I will not be able to alter them by my self.

Has someone done this already?

Thanks for any help!

Morten

If you have installed the SBL font, You can compose your paper than in your word program convert the Greek to SBL by changing the font there.

Or, if you have a lot and haven't put the Greek into your word program yet. Click on the little "wrench" on your tool bar, go to "font", and then "export font", and change the Greek text to SBL Greek by scrolling down the list of available fonts.

Hope this helps.

Al

Hej Al

Unfortunately, I don't think any of your suggestions work in my case which is:

1: I have already written my article and all the Greek is formated using the good old BW-font (non unicode).

2: Now I would like to have it substituted to the new SBL Greek font, which is unicode. Therefore I can not do a simple search-replace action.

I will need a complicated macro for this.

Would anyone have worked out such a macro for this font specifically?

Thanks again!
    Morten

Morten,

My macro will do what you require. It's posted at:

http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=12

As posted, it will convert all bwgrkl.ttf text to Palatino Linotype. However, it's easy to modify the macro to whatever Unicode font you wish to use. Just edit it as a text file, searching and replacing the font name.

Alternatively, if you're not comfortable in doing this, just run the macro as it stands. Once you've applied the conversion to Unicode, you can search and replace the Palatino Linotype text with whatever Unicode font you require. This should work nicely, as all Unicode fonts use the same underlying coding for each Greek character.

There is however one complication. The macro will not convert bwgrkl.ttf text in footnotes. I've never been able to work out how to do this, so you will need to extract the footnotes into another file, convert them and then replace them.

Hope this works for you.

John
    --
    John Kendall
    Cardiff
    Wales

Hi John!

Thanks, yes it works great! I did a simple search and replace and were able to replace all the Greek in the text.

Ufortunately, as you said, it will not do its magic in the footnotes.

So, I would really also be grateful if anyone knows how to tweak Word to make this happen as well.

Anyone?

Morten

NB: I have attached the text of the altered macro if anyone wants to use the new SBL font as well.
    I don't know how you the easiest way set a macro in Word. What I did, though, was to create an 'emty' macro at first, and the cut'n paste the text from the attached file (excluding the first and last line) into Visual Basic (open Normal + New Macroes within it).

Is there a better way to do it?

Here we go again ...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Macro for Converting BWGRKL to Unicode in Footnotes

Hi Morten,

Quote Originally Posted by MortenJensen View Post
    Ufortunately, as you said, it will not do its magic in the footnotes.

So, I would really also be grateful if anyone knows how to tweak Word to make this happen as well.

Anyone?
    I did a little searching in the help files and with a little guesswork came up with this. I've only done some basic testing, but it seems to work. You'll need to edit the font as with the other macro. The macro isn't fast, so be patient.

All the best,

John
    --
    John Kendall
    Cardiff
    Wales
    Attached Files Attached Files