Thread: Need help with a search

Default Need help with a search

This may be obvious and simple, but how do I set the "word" in the word box of the Graphical Search Engine (or do the same in the morphology assistant) to be any word, but the same word as in a second word box? What I want is all occurrences of any root, but the same root with a participle and a finite verb with a kai and a limited number of words in between. Using an * give any participle and any verb, but not the same verb. Thanks in advance.
    "I can only say that I am nothing but a poor sinner, trusting in Christ alone for salvation"--R. E. Lee
    "It is not our task to secure the triumph of truth, but merely to fight on its behalf."--Blaise Pascal

From the command line:

'#1@vp* *2 και *2 #1@vi*

Apostrophe indicates you are looking for a phrase where order matters
    #1 is the way to indicate the same word #1 later in the search
    @vp* picks up all participles
    adjust *2 to as many intervening words as you want
    @vi* picks up all indicatives

If you type this in the command line, then click on the "Tools" in the green bar just below it, then choose Graphical Search Engine, your search with these parameters will be entered, and you can add extra parameters if you wish
    Mark G. Vitalis Hoffman
    Professor of Biblical Studies
    Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
    ltsg.edu - CrossMarks.com
    Biblical Studies and Technological Tools

Thanks. It works fine. It appears to me that cannot be in the GSE.
    "I can only say that I am nothing but a poor sinner, trusting in Christ alone for salvation"--R. E. Lee
    "It is not our task to secure the triumph of truth, but merely to fight on its behalf."--Blaise Pascal

The search that Mark provided is for the Command Line.

If you type Mark's search phrase into the Command Line, the press F9 to open the GSE, the GSE will automatically convert the Command Line search phrase to a GSE search.

The agreement box in the GSE allows you to specify the identical lemma between words.
    Glenn Weaver

For technical support, please contact Customer Support.

Smile Completely Resolved

Thanks to both of you. Yes, the command line search worked fine. However, when I tried to do the same thing in GSE I had a problem entering the # sign for "#1". I went to the keyboard for BW and copied it and inserted it, but seemed to still have problems. Interestingly, using F9 to convert the command line shows an * for the word in the word box which is what I originally noted. The difference is the addition of an agreement box between the participle and the verb showing the lemma agreeing.

Now I can do it either way!