Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Copy/Paste Unicode BW7 to MS OneNote

Default Copy/Paste Unicode BW7 to MS OneNote

I've seen several discussions of problems pasting from BW7 to various applications. Here's my try:

Has anyone been able to directly copy/paste Unicode Greek or Hebrew from BW7 to OneNote?

It works if I copy from BW to OpenOffice Writer and then from OOW to OneNote. I suspect the problem may have to do with what BW puts on the clipboard. Although OOW recognizes the text as Unicode, neither OneNote, the Windows Clipbook Viewer (Clipbrd.exe), or ClipX (a third-party clipboard manager) see the Unicode text correctly.
    I've attached two screenshots showing what the Windows viewer sees when copied from BW7 (first) and from OpenOffice (second).

Any ideas?

(I have Export Fonts activated, Gk: Palatono Linotype/Unicode, Hebrew: SBL Hebrew/Unicode)
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Cris; 03-14-2009 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Identify screenshots.

I have a related issue. I can't paste Unicode from BW8 into a text box. When I do, I get this:

??? ?????????? ???????
    If I copy to MS Word first, I get this:

καὶ ἀπέστρεψεν Εζεκιας
    I supposed it was a limitation of the program (browser). Could it be the same with OneNote?
    Fred Greco
    Senior Pastor, Christ Church PCA (Katy, TX)
    Christ Church Blog

"The heart is the main thing in true religion...It is the hinge and turning-point in the condition of man's soul. If the heart is alive to God and quickened by the Spirit, the man is a living Christian. If the heart is dead and has not the Spirit, the man is dead before God." (J.C. Ryle)

Fred,

I went to the Wikipedia page for Hebrews, copied אברהם and pasted here, OneNote and in GMail correctly. Doing so from BW7 produces: ~h'Ír"b.a;

There are multiple formats associated with data in the clipboard (as you can see in the screenshots). When Unicode is listed as the first format, everything works. BW is giving Unicode last, and text format (e.g., BWHeb mapping) first. I suspect that most applications will take the first usable format. So if 'text' appears before Unicode, text is what the app uses. OpenOffice appears to be a bit more selective.

So is there a way to fix this in Bibleworks?

There's a way for BibleWorks to fix it, but not for a mere user.

The problem is that what BW7 exports as UnicodeText is not Unicode, it's BWGreek or BWHeb ASCII characters marked as Unicode. This would lead me to assume that they have no clue about how Unicode works (there are different code ranges for different languages/alphabets), but they actually seem to have correct Unicode characters in their RTF export.

Word processing apps (Word, OOWriter) seem to prefer RTF, so I paste from BW to Writer and then copy from Writer (which does the UnicodeText correctly) and paste to OneNote.

I don't know if BibleWorks doesn't understand this issue, or just doesn't care about it. It's not a missing feature, it's a bug in a claimed feature.

Thanks for the info, Cris.

I'm going to assume that Bibleworks knows about this bug? It's kind of frustrating to have to paste twice...

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Cris View Post

The problem is that what BW7 exports as UnicodeText is not Unicode, it's BWGreek or BWHeb ASCII characters marked as Unicode. This would lead me to assume that they have no clue about how Unicode works (there are different code ranges for different languages/alphabets), but they actually seem to have correct Unicode characters in their RTF export.

Word processing apps (Word, OOWriter) seem to prefer RTF, so I paste from BW to Writer and then copy from Writer (which does the UnicodeText correctly) and paste to OneNote.

I don't know if BibleWorks doesn't understand this issue, or just doesn't care about it. It's not a missing feature, it's a bug in a claimed feature.
    I frankly don't understand the tone of this comment. We do in fact "have a clue about how Unicode works" (do you?). And we do care about making BibleWorks useful. So why the snide comments? How is that helpful to anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Cris View Post

Cris, I'm not a programmer, I don't know exactly the nature of the bug you're facing and I do realize that it is frustrating, but you're likely not going to get a happy resolution based on the nature of your post.

It's pretty clear there is a problem with the Unicode. I don't know whose fault that is, but you clearly seem to think you know and the reason you give is because of the unintelligence of the programmers.

Now, no matter what the problem is, if you're the programmer and you read that kind of a comment, do you really think it's going to get positive resolution? It's fine to post bugs, complaints, whatever here, it's just more likely to be listened to when it's done in a more tactful way.

And I'm sorry if I am reading you wrong, it just kind of rubbed me the wrong way.

Here's what I do know. Based on my experience, sometimes Unicode is exported fine from BibleWorks and sometimes it's not (usually it's fine in Microsoft programs, not fine in some of the other ones (notably Firefox)). The reason I've been told that this happens is not something BibleWorks can handle but has to do with how these other programs receive Unicode from Windows, in which case it's up to these other programs to use the same standards Microsoft does. Now whether this is actually the case or not, I certainly couldn't prove since I'm no programmer, but I believe that's what has been reported before.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

(Writing in a concilliatory, interceding way

Ok...I'm sorry if my question was upsetting to Cris or anyone else. I feel responsible for raising the issue and asking it.

But to clarify things.... should I make a bug report or something about this?

Is there something I can do to fix the problem with MS OneNote? Is it a problem with OneNote, or is there a way I can tinker with BW to get it to perform correctly with OneNote?

I should say I know nothing about Unicode, but I've been using BW since ver. 3 (upgraded from ver.5 to 8 this week).

Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by spartachris View Post
    (Writing in a concilliatory, interceding way

Ok...I'm sorry if my question was upsetting to Cris or anyone else. I feel responsible for raising the issue and asking it.

But to clarify things.... should I make a bug report or something about this?

Is there something I can do to fix the problem with MS OneNote? Is it a problem with OneNote, or is there a way I can tinker with BW to get it to perform correctly with OneNote?

I should say I know nothing about Unicode, but I've been using BW since ver. 3 (upgraded from ver.5 to 8 this week).

Thanks for the help!
    I would say you can try working with BibleWorks support about the issue. I can certainly verify that Unicode itself is not broken. It pastes fine into Word, but it doesn't into OneNote. I can't tell you whether that can be fixed or not, but at least the support people can perhaps tell you more about the nature of the problem than anyone here can.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!