Thread: Bdag

Default Bdag

I am interested in getting the electronic version of BDAG, and I understand there are 2 options available - unlocking the database available in BibleWorks and purchasing a CD from Logos. Are there any significant differences between these 2 options in terms of functions? Any recommendations? The pricing for both is the same.

Thanks.

K Yong

Default Integration

There will be no difference in the content to the two modules.

However, if you own BibleWorks and buy the Logos BDAG module the two will not not be able to "talk to each other."

If you own BW and purchase the BW BDAG module then they will work together just like BW works with the other lexicons.
    Joe Fleener

jfleener@digitalexegesis.com
    Home Page: www.digitalexegesis.com
    Blog: http://emethaletheia.blogspot.com/

Annotated Bibliography of Online Research Tools: www.digitalexegesis.com/bibliography

User Created BibleWorks Modules: www.digitalexegesis.com/bibleworks

Psalm 46:11
    `#r<a'(B' ~Wra' ~yIAGB; ~Wra' ~yhi_l{a/ ykinOa'-yKi W[d>W WPr>h;

I got BDAG with BibleWorks and never would have considered getting it with Logos. Logos is better with commentaries and works not tied directly to the Bible. But I would guess that most of the time you use BDAG you'll want to check definitions of words in the Bible. In BibleWorks you can have BDAG in the "auto-info window" or "lexical-grammatical helps" and instantly you get to see its entry for any word in the Greek New Testament and Septuagint. Now that BibleWorks also has Josephus (and the Apostolic Fathers morphology is under construction) you can look up just about any citation in BDAG through hyperlinks in BibleWorks and do instant word studies to check out the suggested definitions that BDAG offers. In Logos you can't look up definitions as easily or as quickly, and the hyperlinks that I have seen (in other Libronix modules) don't work as quickly or cannot be customized as well as in BibleWorks. I doubt if BDAG in Logos lets you point at a word in a Greek Bible text and instantly see the appropriate BDAG entry (though I'm willing to be corrected by someone who actually bought it). BibleWorks BDAG makes looking up definitions in BDAG almost instantaneous. It surely saves me time over the way I used to use BAGD, paging through the lexicon. I still get the feel of paging through books on Libronix. It is much simpler in BibleWorks.

In Christ,
    Mark Eddy

Default Hyperlink to Early Church Fathers true or false?

Now that BibleWorks also has Josephus (and the Apostolic Fathers morphology is under construction) you can look up just about any citation in BDAG through hyperlinks in BibleWorks and do instant word studies to check out the suggested definitions that BDAG offers.
    So I've read mixed information on this subject. Does the Bibleworks hyperlink to the material in the Early Church Fathers or not?

Default i agree with Mark Eddy

i came up through the system from BW 4. I run Logos as well. For library work the Logos is fine.

Nothing else out there runs bible and bible related exegesis like BW. Nothing.

Of course, there is the guy with perfect memory and time. Lots of time. That I suppose would handly beat my fast, spend little time, methods of bible work. There is no supstitute for spending time in the Word.

i use multiple monitors and have BW7 open to my right hand every moment of every day. helps me stay in the text, from a technical perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by roblumba View Post
    So I've read mixed information on this subject. Does the Bibleworks hyperlink to the material in the Early Church Fathers or not?
    As of BibleWorks 8 there are no hyperlinks from BDAG to references in Josephus or the Apostolic Fathers. But, if there is enough request for this feature, I'm sure it could be added.
    By the way, since this thread began BibleWorks now has completed a morphologically tagged Greek version of the Apostolic Fathers. So a user can type any reference in BDAG on the command line and look up references in the Fathers manually.
    Mark Eddy