Thread: Using OLE & Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE)

Question Using OLE & Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE)

Looking over the manual, (pg 395), I see that BW has "rudimentary DDE capabilities" allowing one to fetch data from BibleWorks from other applications like Word using a macro or java script. This looks like a potentially powerful feature! Yet I have not heard of anyone using it.

Have any of you experienced BibleWorks users or even staff members used this capability?

If so, how did you use it, and for what?

What are some of the possibilities?

~Jim
    Jim Darlack - Associate Director of Goddard Library /
    Reference Librarian at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary

Gloucester Assembly of God | Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    The 'Unofficial' BibleWorks Blog | Old in the New | Facebook | LibraryThing

Default JavaScript and CHM modules

Quote Originally Posted by jdarlack
    Looking over the manual, (pg 395), I see that BW has "rudimentary DDE capabilities" allowing one to fetch data from BibleWorks from other applications like Word using a macro or java script. This looks like a potentially powerful feature! Yet I have not heard of anyone using it.

Have any of you experienced BibleWorks users or even staff members used this capability?

If so, how did you use it, and for what?

What are some of the possibilities?

~Jim
    I believe the JavaScript OLE facility is used in the CHM modules - for example Gesenius. This allows the CHM module to provide hyperlinks - e.g. when you click on a link, it looks the passage up in BibleWorks. This is a very powerful facility, and would allow people to write their own CHM modules. I am surprised nobody has tried this yet - another whole collection of user-defined modules is possible!

Regards,

Ewan MacLeod

Default Dde

I constantly use the control-shift-B command to insert text from BibleWorks into my Word documents. That's a wonderful feature! I have not yet explored other DDE/OLE options, but you have inspired me to look into them....

------------------------------------------
    Roy E. Ciampa, Ph.D.
    Associate Professor of New Testament
    Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    130 Essex Street
    South Hamilton, MA 01982