Thread: Browse Window Scroll Mode

Default Browse Window Scroll Mode

When the browse window is either in "Synch Mode" or "Non-Synch Mode" (options that basically mean you can use the up and down arrow keys to navigate through verses as opposed to using your mouse button), when the "browse" tab is selected in the analysis window and the "up" and "down" arrow keys are pressed, the verses in the "browse" tab do not switch whenever the arrow keys are pressed.

I might expect this with the "Non-Synch Mode," but at least with the "Synch Mode" it should switch through the verses on the browse tab as well since the help file says that all open browse windows will be scrolled as well whenever this option is selected.

Anybody else noticed this?

The key to your misunderstanding is that the "browse tab" is not a browse "window". The browse tab is part of the Analysis window. Therefore it is not tied to the scrolling feature. Browse windows would include the main browse window and any secondary or floating browse windows.
    See Help chapter 22 for an explanation of the browse tab.
    So I don't think there is a bug, just a misunderstanding of terminology.
    Mark Eddy

Mark,

I understand that I may have been mistaken terminology wise, but my point still remains the same. In "Synch" Mode or "Non-Synch" mode, the up and down arrow keys function just like the keys you click on when you are in "No-Scroll Mode." So they should basically have the same effect.

When in "No-Scroll Mode," the "Browse" tab switches verses every time you click on the up and down button, so it should be the same when in "Synch" mode and you use the arrow keys. That was the main point I was trying to make, because the "up" and "down" arrow keys are meant to be synonymous with clicking on the up and down buttons when in "Synch" mode. I don't think it's a bug, I just think they need to make it perform this function.

Default Cursor focus

Soxfan23,
    I don't understand what you're describing here?

1) Which window are trying to scroll using the keyboard arrows?
    Is the cursor focus in that window? When cursor is in the Search Results, it moves in that list. When cusor is in the command line, it moves through previous executed searches. When cursor is in the main Browse Window, it scrolls in the manner set (see Help ch 50 or ch 11 Short-Cuts)

2) I'm still reading through the options in ch 22 AW-Browse, but the last section mentions only the scrollbar buttons, not keyboard. It maybe intentional; maybe not. You'll have to ask BW.
    Help Ch 22, last section:

Synchronizing the Browse Tab to the Browse Window

By default, when changing from one verse to the next in the Browse Window using the scrollbar buttons, the Browse Tab will automatically synchronize with the Browse Window display verse. This setting can be unchecked on the Browse Tab Options Button menu.

If you scroll the Browse Tab window and then want to synchronize the Browse Tab to the Browse Window once again, you can press the Synchronize Tab Browser button on the Browse Tab header. You can only synchronize the Browse Tab to the Browse Window. You cannot synchronize the Browse Window to the Browse Tab.

Greg,

1.)The window I'm trying to scroll is the browse window, but my point is that when the browse tab is active, whenever the browse window is scrolled through, the browse tab automatically scrolls with it. The cursor is in the browse window. The thing is that it does me no good to have BW in "Synch" mode or whatever if it's not going to work with the browse tab, so I just don't see the purpose.

2.)I understand. I'm not saying there is a bug or anything, I'm just saying that this would be the logical thing to do and it's beyond me why it's not like this.

Default Scrolling the different browse windows

This may or may not help deal with your problem.

I've found the browse tab most useful when I want to see the context of verses in the search result list. I'll keep the regular browse window in multiple-version mode, and set the browse tab to single-version mode. If I place the focus on the search list by clicking on a verse in the search result list, it will display in both browse window and browse tab, giving multi-version and context displays. The right and left arrows then allow me to move down and up the search result list, displaying both multi-version and context for each search result.

If I want to see the context while going from Mat 5:1 to 5:2 to 5:3 .... I call up a new browse window [in menu, View / New Browse Window], set it to single-version mode (them footprints), and make sure I am in Scroll & Sync mode. Clicking in the browse window that is in multi-version mode now allows me to use the up and down arrows to scroll both browse windows together, again giving me both multi-version and context at the same time.

The above probably doesn't match your case exactly, but I hope it gives you some clues.

Shalom,
    Jim