Thread: LaSor's Handbook: An Inductive Greek Textbook

Hybrid View

Default LaSor's Handbook: An Inductive Greek Textbook

I mentioned in a footnote what I was doing with LaSor's textbook in another thread, but I wanted to get more people's attention (especially Pasquale, if he is still around).

My plan is to scan, OCR and put into Wiki format LaSor's textbook. You can see what I am going to try to do here: http://inductivegreek.pbwiki.com

So basically I am hyperlinking the textbooks together, so that they can reference each other more easily.

Question: Is Wiki the best route? Should I do Libronix or CHM (Help file) instead? The problem is, I don't know how to do Libronix or CHM stuff. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Also, would anyone be interested in helping me proof-read? I have already scanned and OCR'd the text.

It's regrettable that such a unique textbook is so undervalued today; hopefully, we can bring some new life to it.

Caveat: This book is still copyrighted, so if you want to help with this project, you either need to contact the publisher to get permission or obtain a copy yourself. If you do obtain a copy, you can e-mail me proof of ownership.

My suggestion would be to edit it in MS Word (OpenOffice, etc will do) and use the styles feature to make the headings, etc. For example, a chapter title might use Heading 2, a topic within the chapter might use Heading 3, and so on. It's extremely important to use styles in chapters, etc., because that will allow it to be easily exported to HTML, which can then be easily converted to Help format with the table of contents automatically generated.

I don't know how well linking within the document would work, but it seems to work pretty well.

All of this assumes that you'll be doing this in Help format, which would be for Bw. I have a lot of stuff in Logos, but it seems to be a little more difficult to get the formatting correct, and even then, the font kerning is messed up. Maybe that's just me... Either way, you'd probably still have to go through the Word styling step.
    -- Richard

"Contend earnestly for the faith that was once for all delivered to the saints." Jude 3 (ESV)

Quote Originally Posted by KramerK View Post
    Question: Is Wiki the best route? Should I do Libronix or CHM (Help file) instead? The problem is, I don't know how to do Libronix or CHM stuff. Any ideas would be appreciated.
    The trick is to first get it in an HTML format. You could use MSWord as Richard suggests (this would be the easiest option for someone familiar with MSWord), but MSWord tends to bloat the code and make the files a lot larger than necessary. I'd advise using a free web authoring program like Nvu. With it, you can assign the various heading styles that Richard mentions without the bloat. Of course you could use a program like FrontPage or Dreamweaver if you want to spends some $$$.
    Jim Darlack - Associate Director of Goddard Library /
    Reference Librarian at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary

Gloucester Assembly of God | Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
    The 'Unofficial' BibleWorks Blog | Old in the New | Facebook | LibraryThing

Jim makes some good points. If you do use Word, when you save as HTML, make sure you choose "Web, filtered". This will reduce the amount of code produced. Nvu will also do exactly what you need.
    -- Richard

"Contend earnestly for the faith that was once for all delivered to the saints." Jude 3 (ESV)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by jdarlack View Post
    The trick is to first get it in an HTML format. You could use MSWord as Richard suggests (this would be the easiest option for someone familiar with MSWord), but MSWord tends to bloat the code and make the files a lot larger than necessary. I'd advise using a free web authoring program like Nvu. With it, you can assign the various heading styles that Richard mentions without the bloat. Of course you could use a program like FrontPage or Dreamweaver if you want to spends some $$$.

Okay, with fear and trepidation, I'm going to attempt the the CHM route. Perhaps when I get finished, Bibleworks would want to contact Eerdman's about releasing the copyright, so that the file could be distributed. (Who knows?!)

It's really difficult to explain the manner in which this book works, so would anyone with experience in making Help files want to take a look at my Wiki (which I am giving up for the CHM route) to see the best way to go about tagging this book?

I repeat, is anyone out there willing to take a look at the direction I was heading with my book transcription project (on my Wiki) to see the best way to go about this project?

Default CHM Assistance

Hi,
    I have created several CHM's for BibleWorks and I am willing to assist you. e-Mail me at wjswanepoel@telkomsa.net

Regards,
    Willem Swanepoel
    Last edited by Willem Swanepoel; 06-29-2009 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Spelling mistake