Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to prevent auto change of search version?

Quote Originally Posted by MBushell View Post
    Such a pessimist. Let's be a little more upbeat now
    If you guys want real time fixes ya gotta live with occasional back steps.
    Fine with me!

By the way, the latest version (8.0.008s.1) doe snot fix the problem, though it purported to. Until a fix, I am happily (or at least contentedly) using the workaround of no automatic secondary browse windows.
    Fred Greco
    Senior Pastor, Christ Church PCA (Katy, TX)
    Christ Church Blog

"The heart is the main thing in true religion...It is the hinge and turning-point in the condition of man's soul. If the heart is alive to God and quickened by the Spirit, the man is a living Christian. If the heart is dead and has not the Spirit, the man is dead before God." (J.C. Ryle)

Well, in the current version 008w.2, it does seem to be properly retaining English search versions, even with automatic secondary browse windows, in both Hebrew and Greek, in both OT and NT. I find that the secondary browse windows do not sync with the verse I click on in the main results window, which I presume is the desired behavior -- the secondary browse window stays with the original verse from which you initiated the lemma search, while the main window lets you trot through your search results, but goes back to your original English search version when you close the 2ndary window.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    Well, in the current version 008w.2, it does seem to be properly retaining English search versions, even with automatic secondary browse windows, in both Hebrew and Greek, in both OT and NT. I find that the secondary browse windows do not sync with the verse I click on in the main results window, which I presume is the desired behavior -- the secondary browse window stays with the original verse from which you initiated the lemma search, while the main window lets you trot through your search results, but goes back to your original English search version when you close the 2ndary window.
    I have the exact opposite behavior. When the Secondary window opens, the search version flashes between the GNT and ESV (for example). It shows ESV (the English version at the start of the search) as the search version while the Secondary Window is open and as soon as I close the Secondary window, it makes the search version the GNT (which is what I don't want, and what is not supposed to happen).
    Fred Greco
    Christ Church Blog

"The heart is the main thing in true religion...It is the hinge and turning-point in the condition of man's soul. If the heart is alive to God and quickened by the Spirit, the man is a living Christian. If the heart is dead and has not the Spirit, the man is dead before God." (J.C. Ryle)

Default A little history

A little history may help to illuminate the problems with the secondary browse windows. The secondary windows preceded the Search Pane tabs and the Analysis Pane Browse tab. The bottom line is that there are too many fetures competing for control of the search version. It got even worse with BW8 when the search version was disconnected from the search results list. The original idea when we added the tabs was to get rid of the secondary windows and replace them with something better, namely the tabs. That has worked well, I think. I even tried a couple of times to remove the secondary window option entirely. That is still my preference. But any time we remove anything, and I mean anything, we get complaints and heartfelt pleas to put it back. So the secondary windows were put back, grudgingly. But we strongly encourage users to take advantage of other ways to manage multiple views. Trying to make them work without colliding with other features that share the same purpose, is difficult amd may never work pefectly. Put another way, problems with the tabs have a very high priority. Secondary window problems are, well, secondary.

Mike

Default Secondary Secondary Windows

The one reason I would like to see secondary windows hang around is very selfish I am afraid. When working through the Hebrew text on a classroom projector. I put up a full screen secondary window on the projector, while I have the main program screen showing on my laptop. The text is all I project, but I have all other features at my fingertips. While the class looks at the displayed text I can reassure them with statistics about difficult forms they will not encounter often. It keeps them motivated. The secondary window is just handy to put on the extended desktop. Now if there is a better way to do this, tell me please, and you can take my secondary window away.
    SkipB

"Ambitious to be well-pleasing unto him"
    RJ Blackburn
    Reformed Episcopal Seminary

http://www.reseminary.edu

Quote Originally Posted by MBushell View Post
    A little history may help to illuminate the problems with the secondary browse windows. The secondary windows preceded the Search Pane tabs and the Analysis Pane Browse tab. The bottom line is that there are too many fetures competing for control of the search version. It got even worse with BW8 when the search version was disconnected from the search results list. The original idea when we added the tabs was to get rid of the secondary windows and replace them with something better, namely the tabs. That has worked well, I think. I even tried a couple of times to remove the secondary window option entirely. That is still my preference. But any time we remove anything, and I mean anything, we get complaints and heartfelt pleas to put it back. So the secondary windows were put back, grudgingly. But we strongly encourage users to take advantage of other ways to manage multiple views. Trying to make them work without colliding with other features that share the same purpose, is difficult amd may never work pefectly. Put another way, problems with the tabs have a very high priority. Secondary window problems are, well, secondary.

Mike
    I can appreciate that, and I am more than willing to live with a "workaround" if secondary browse windows are not a priority.

But I would respectfully point out that the tabs are nowhere near as robust as any other program with tabs (IE, Firefox, etc.). Not being able to name tabs, for example, makes it very impractical to use them on a multiple session basis. Not being able to use keystrokes to navigate between tabs makes them more difficult to switch between, etc.

I am not saying that tabs need to be perfect, but it would help people to give up what they have been using as useful functionality if the new functionality was either full-featured, or more detail was given (i.e. "we are working toward naming of tabs, etc.")
    Fred Greco
    Christ Church Blog

Quote Originally Posted by FredGreco View Post

But I would respectfully point out that the tabs are nowhere near as robust as any other program with tabs (IE, Firefox, etc.). Not being able to name tabs, for example, makes it very impractical to use them on a multiple session basis.

Well at least this one is on its way to being solved if you check out the post on this feature being added.
    Michael Hanel
    PhD candidate Classics Univ. of Cincinnati
    MDiv Concordia Seminary
    MA Classics Washington University
    Unofficial BibleWorks Blog
    LibraryThing!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hanel View Post
    Well at least this one is on its way to being solved if you check out the post on this feature being added.
    Michael,

This is VERY nice. It basically eliminates the need for the secondary browser window entirely - with one really small caveat.

It would be WONDERFUL if I could go to a new tab with a keystroke, and that would make it easier to search in a different language. Don't get me wrong: this tab feature is incredible. But it would be even more useful if I could get to my "renamed tab" (I can already see my tabs now (ESV, GNT, WTT, etc) with a key-combination.

I think if you could do that, you could eliminate the secondary window entirely.
    Fred Greco
    Christ Church Blog

Default There is a two (or three) keystroke solution.

Quote Originally Posted by FredGreco View Post
    It would be WONDERFUL if I could go to a new tab with a keystroke, and that would make it easier to search in a different language. Don't get me wrong: this tab feature is incredible. But it would be even more useful if I could get to my "renamed tab" (I can already see my tabs now (ESV, GNT, WTT, etc) with a key-combination.
    Note in BW help (under command line shortcuts, not under TABS):
    t # "tabset" sets the current context tab to the specified tab number. The first tab is number 1.

This means you still need to know the underlying tab number, but that shouldn't be too difficult for someone who can handle the basic complexity of BW.

Thanks, Jim. Going to tabs with a keystroke is something I've been wanting to do too. This is helpful, although it only works if you're already on the command line. Something like Ctrl+# to take you to a tab number from anywhere in the BW window would be even handier, IMO.
    David Rensberger
    Atlanta, Georgia