Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to prevent auto change of search version?

Default How to prevent auto change of search version?

It may likely be that I simply do not know how to configure the correct settings, but I would like some help with search versions. Bibleworks 8 appears to automatically change the default search version (on the command line) based on the last search. Is there a way to stop this? This behavior slows down my work, and is a little annoying. Here is what I mean:

• I am looking at a passage in multiple version mode. For example, 2 Kings 18:7, with ESV/NASB/WTT and BGT visible.
    • My search version is ESV.
    • I see a word I want to run a search on - perhaps a Hebrew word
    • I double click the word and it brings up the search, opens the secondary browser window (great!) to the first result with all my versions. The search window shows the WTT results.
    • The search version is automatically changed to WTT.

So when I close the secondary browser window, I now have the WTT as my search version and search display version. I need to manually fix it to go back to where I was (in this case, ESV). Is there a way to prevent the automatic switch of search version? I realize it may not be possible for the search display version (since that is what was displayed) but I don't know why the (default) search version would automatically change.

Any help is appreciated.
    Fred Greco
    Senior Pastor, Christ Church PCA (Katy, TX)
    Christ Church Blog

"The heart is the main thing in true religion...It is the hinge and turning-point in the condition of man's soul. If the heart is alive to God and quickened by the Spirit, the man is a living Christian. If the heart is dead and has not the Spirit, the man is dead before God." (J.C. Ryle)

Default Options that don't have the effect I think they should

I hit this problem frequently. I don't know Greek, Hebrew, Aramaic, so I want my default display version to be NRS. When I hit the footprints, I want to see the context in the language I can read.
    But most of my searches are lemma searches, so I will right click (once the popup gloss tells me that I am where I want to be) and search on the lemma.
    And now I have lost the ability to hit the footprints, and see the context in the language I can read.

There are two flags in the Browse options that don't seem to work for me, one of which claims to be the answer to my need. (I document both only because of my felt need to ventilate.) Both BW7 and BW8 behave exactly the same for both of these.
    1. (copying from BW8 help)
    Maintain search version after lemma search
    If this option is checked the search version will not change when you right click on a Greek or Hebrew word and do a morphology lemma lookup. Otherwise the version would switch to the morphology version used for the lemma search.

Whether or not this flag is checked, it switches my search version to the relevant Hebrew or Greek Morph version.
    2. (again copying from BW8 help)
    Automatically make morphology versions display versions
    If this flag is set and you activate a Greek or Hebrew morphology as a search version, it will automatically be activated as a display version. This permits you to do morphology searches while having only the text version displayed. For example, you can do GNM searches but have only the GNT displayed in the Browse Window. For non-Hebrew/Greek versions, activating a version as a search version always adds it to the display list as well. If this flag is not set and you activate a Greek or Hebrew morphology as a search version, it will not be activated as a display version. This permits you to do morphology searches while having only the text version displayed.

Whether or not this flag is checked, it never adds the morph version to the browse display. Doesn't really matter to me, but inaccurate help documents are annoying.

The best way I have found to deal with this problem is:
    Hit escape twice (to make sure), type nrs, hit enter, and try to suppress any bad words.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wert View Post

The best way I have found to deal with this problem is:
    I don't use the secondary results window that often, but I would not be surprised if this is how it functioned some time ago. It may even be that this problem was encountered and solved some years ago.

A better way that the one you have found would be to report it to the tech support. They will ensure either that the help file is corrected or that the intended behaviour of the program is (re)implemented. I can say that for sure, because I have done so many times.

In my view, the very function of the secondary results window is to leave one's work exactly as is, do something else, and be able to return again and continue. If FredGreco's settings are the culprit, then they are here as well.

So, tell the support people!
    Dr. Georg S. Adamsen, Denmark
    Editor, http://www.Revelation-Resources.com and
    WordPress @ Blogos.dk (featuring Danish localizations for WordPress plugins, themes etc.)

Email sent. I would still hope to get some help here.
    Fred Greco
    Christ Church Blog

"The heart is the main thing in true religion...It is the hinge and turning-point in the condition of man's soul. If the heart is alive to God and quickened by the Spirit, the man is a living Christian. If the heart is dead and has not the Spirit, the man is dead before God." (J.C. Ryle)

I've just installed the upgrade to BW 8, with the latest downloaded updates, so that I'm using version 8.0.007m.1. I've been annoyed by these morphology issues in the past myself. (I read Greek and Hebrew, but I can't imagine why anybody would want to display the morphology texts.) I've just now tried unchecking the "Automatically make morphology versions display versions" flag, and it does work. I can search on a lemma, get the list of results in the search window, but not have the messy morphology version show up among my display versions.

However, when I click on the "footprints," I am advised that "The current search version is not active as a display version" (just what I wanted!), and asked, "Do you want it activated?" No, I don't; but when I click No, I am left in multi-version mode. The browse version and the search version, apparently, must be the same; browse mode has to pick one of the multiple displayed versions to use, and the only way it can know which one to use is to pick the search version. I wish it were otherwise, but there it seems to be. As Jim indicates, changing the search version back to what you want (and suppressing the bad words!) is the only solution.

The key is the failure of "Maintain search version after lemma search." Setting his flag doesn't work for me either -- doing a lemma search does indeed change the search version, and thus the browse version. This is the issue that the programmers need to address. If it's not really possible to keep the search version from changing after doing a lemma search, then the option flag needs to be eliminated.

Thanks, Fred, for bringing this to the attention of tech support. Let's hope for the best!

Any help?

I submitted to BW support last week, and have not heard anything.
    Fred Greco
    Christ Church Blog

Default Lemma Search is the culprit.

The way I understand this, (and I often miss the point, so be patient with me) If you have an English version selected as search version, but then right click on a Greek or Hebrew word (in multiple version display) and perform either a form or lemma search, that search is executed on the version you have just clicked on. That changes your search version. In a lemma search, the search is actually performed on the morphological brother text. When the search of the morphological version finishes, it returns you to the search version, not to the search version prior to clicking on the Greek or Hebrew version. So by not leaving you in the morph version it has preserved the search version, but it can't take you back to the version you had selected before you activated the search. Does that make sense? That's how it works here, and it make sense that it is the way it is meant to work. Am I still missing your point?
    SkipB

"Ambitious to be well-pleasing unto him"
    RJ Blackburn
    Reformed Episcopal Seminary

http://www.reseminary.edu

Thumbs up

Just a quick note to say that, since our discussion a few weeks ago, the problem has apparently been addressed! In the latest update (8.0.008b.1), when "Maintain search version after lemma search" is checked and "Automatically make morphology versions display versions" is unchecked in the Browse Window configuration options, I can be in multiple-version mode after an English-language search, right-click on a Greek word in BGT, select "Search on Lemma," and the search is performed in BGM (the search version box briefly changes to BGM), but BGM (the morphology version) is not added to the displayed versions. When I then click on the "footprints", the display changes from multiple-version to BGT (which has become the search version), and I don't get the popup message that "The current search version is not active as a display version."

Yeah, I wouldn't mind having it go back to the English-language version I started out with, but this is definitely better, and very reasonable. So, good work programmers, and kudos to those who raised the question here!

David Rensberger

That's good news. Thanks.
    Dan Phillips
    Books:Web presence:
    tfo+[]l;w> hw"hy> tr:AT-ta, vArd>li Abb'l. !ykihe ar"z>[, yKi

s `jP'(v.miW qxo laer"f.yIB. dMel;l.W

And it just keeps getting better. As of today's update to v. 8.0.008j.1, when I do a right-click "search on lemma" in multi-version mode with an English-language version designated as search version, the search is done in the ancient-lenguage morphology version, and once the results are displayed the search version goes back to the English version. Perfect! (At least I think so!)

David Rensberger