Thread: Hebrew to Hebrew, Greek to Greek (Inductive Studies)

Threaded View

Default Hebrew to Hebrew, Greek to Greek (Inductive Studies)

There is a project online to transcribe a 17th century Latin-Latin dictionary/thesaurus (here). What does that have to do with anything? Well...

I am big fan of inductive learning, all stemming from my studies using Orberg's Lingua Latina per se Illustrata, an 100% inductive Latin Textbook.

No textbooks really exist like that for Greek or Hebrew that I know of.(1) Latin, of course, is a little easier to do inductively than Greek or Hebrew simply because of the alphabet and the history of the English language.

There are Hebrew to Hebrew (here, #7 and #8) thesauri, but Greek to Greek dictionaries are slim pickings.(2)

Does anyone know of any lexicons (Greek-Greek, Hebrew-Hebrew)? Is anyone familiar with those Hebrew-Hebrew lexicons on this site (#7 and #8)? Are there any searchable, digital editions of those Hebrew-Hebrew lexicons or of any others?

Is Bibleworks at all interested in digitizing those Hebrew-Hebrew ones or creating Greek ones!?

So is anyone else interested in immersive, inductive Greek/Hebrew studies? If so, how do you go about your study?

(1) There is Living Greek and Living Hebrew from biblicalulpan.com, and I absolutely love Part 1 of their Greek series (I am unfamiliar with their Hebrew version). I am using it to teach my pastor's son Greek. I am not so fond of Part 2, simply because it is not very inductive at all. I am currently trying to figure out how to proceed with his inductive education post Living Greek Part 1. I am thinking of either using Athenaze, because it is the best inductive-esque Greek textbook I can find, or using LaSor's Handbook of New Testament Greek: An Inductive Approach Based on the Greek Text of Acts. I am leaning towards LaSor. My plan is to digitize, OCR and hyperlink it using Wikipedia to bring it into the 21st century. Why hyperlink it? You can see why: my plan and an example are here.

(2) There is an 11th or 12th century thesaurus which is very difficult to use. It is online here. On the drop-down menu which says: Ὀλα τα Λεξικά τὴς Βάσεως, click that;
    Go down to: [Ω] Φωτίου Πατριάρχου Λεξ. I can't really find anything else. Someone, somewhere recommended that you can use Louw-Nida to find synonyms (like a thesaurus) and that is what I have currently been using. Louw-Nida doesn't work perfectly, but it is the best that I have found.
    Last edited by KramerK; 02-28-2009 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Added link to Photius' lexicon.