Thread: Searching across languages?

Question Searching across languages?

Does anyone know of a way I could, for instance, use one of the search engines to find places where the Hebrew word <elohim> (Strong's 0430) is translated as something other than <god> or <gods> in all my English translations or in the Septuagint? If I use the string, .!god*@0430 I get all the <of's> and <thy's> and other words not given their own Strongs' codes when they are immediately associated with <elohim>. Appreciate any help.

Default Try this...

Hello rrohr,

The best i can do is to find all the verses in the KJV that do not contain the words "god" or "gods" but where the WTM contains the hebrew "elohiym". You'll have to go through them one by one and scroll over the KJV to find out which word is used to translate elohiym. Some of the words included "God's" and "godly." To exclude them from the search, add them to the inclusion/exclusion list of the KJV word box. There were 19 verses with 20 hits. You could also change the word in the KJV box to god*.

Also, the auto-info window for the KJV for God (elohiym) has all the translations.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by frankenfro; 07-14-2004 at 02:13 PM.

Default Strong's search

Go into TOOLS/OPTIONS/OPTION FLAGS/COMMAND LINE SEARCH OPTIONS and make sure that "extend strongs tags to all words" is NOT checked. Run your search again, and it filters out all the other words for you.
    Ben

that was much easier. i learned something new.

Default See Attached ASE Query

The attached query will find all the verses where ~yhla occurs in the Hebrew Scriptures, but qeoj does not occur in the LXX.

Take a look at this and see how it works. You can then substiture and English text for the BGT and repeat the search.

Remember all this is doing is saying that a verse has ~yhla in the WTM, but does not have qeoj in the BGT. For many of these verse the KJV, NKJ and others still have the word God.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Joe Fleener

jfleener@digitalexegesis.com
    Home Page: www.digitalexegesis.com
    Blog: http://emethaletheia.blogspot.com/

Annotated Bibliography of Online Research Tools: www.digitalexegesis.com/bibliography

User Created BibleWorks Modules: www.digitalexegesis.com/bibleworks

Psalm 46:11
    `#r<a'(B' ~Wra' ~yIAGB; ~Wra' ~yhi_l{a/ ykinOa'-yKi W[d>W WPr>h;