Thread: Yet another feature request

Default Yet another feature request

I have found that once I've performed a search and begun analyzing a passage, the search window becomes almost useless real estate until my next search. I would love to have the option to turn it into a hoover context window during the analysis phase. hovering over a cross reference or single verse in the analysis window would display the context of the verse (either starting at the pericope or placing the hovered verse in the middle of the window.) Once you stopped hovering over a verse the search window would return to the search results.

I know its not the best time for new ideas, but I thought I would throw it out there anyway. Someone might know of a way to accomplish something similar right now! I tried two browse windows and that worked well enough, but sometimes I would forget to select my second browse window after working in my first and my first ended up getting changed on me. Certainly not the end of the world.

In BibleWorks 8 hit the Browse tab (on the far right), and you'll see the context. Is this good enough?
    Mark Eddy

Yeah, sounds exactly like the "browse" feature in the analysis window.

I'll beat a dead horse again, and 2 features I think BW should add that many customers would benefit from:

(1)They should make it where you can type multiple verse references in the command line where they either show up in the browse window stacked on top of one another, or another window pops up with the verses stacked on top of one another. I would simply use this feature all the time. Currently, we have to bring up the parallel window and manually use the drop-down boxes to find every verse we want to see parallel, and these are horizontal to one another. It takes too much time and just can't be viewed well. Say, for example, I was wanting to examine some of the twice-told Proverbs, or the different sayings of the Abrahamic covenant, or different synoptic parallels. If I just type the references into the command line, separated by either a space or comma, and they showed up in the browse window or a pop-up window, then it would make life much easier. It would even be neat to be able to add colors like the "text compare option" allows you to do, where you can see where the verses differ and where they are similar. This would also be beneficial for classroom use where, for instance, the teacher was teaching over Proverbs. Since Proverbs is a collection and many things are repeated or very similar, then being able to type in (e.g.) 7 different Proverbs references and seeing how they all deal with divine retribution and such, would be really cool. This feature should be a no-brainer and would be widely used.

(2)Having to go under "Tools" "Options" "Font" to change the size of the search, browse, and analysis window fonts, and then having to restart the program, is simply just too many things to do and takes too much time, especially in pedagogical contexts. A button should be added to all three windows, as well as various pop-up windows such as the parallel window, etc, that allows you to increase and decrease the font with simply one-click. A "zoom-in" and "zoom-out" tool in the user-notes and editor is similar to what I am speaking about, or even a drop-down menu like the one in the editor or one similar to Microsoft Word would do the trick. This feature would be especially useful for instructors, which would include many people using the program. The windows have room on them for something like this, and if they don't, then room could be found for such a handy feature.

Of course, I have a few more suggestions (about add-on modules too!), but these are the main two that are driving me at the moment, and the main two that should get primary attention.

Thumbs up Amen to this idea

Quote Originally Posted by Soxfan23 View Post
    ...features I think BW should add.... make it where you can type multiple verse references in the command line where they either show up in the browse window stacked on top of one another, or another window pops up with the verses stacked on top of one another. I would simply use this feature all the time.
    Absolutely. I would use this nearly every time I have BW open.

Dale A. Brueggemann

כִּי עֶזְרָא הֵכִין לְבָבוֹ לִדְרוֹשׁ אֶת־תּוֹרַת יְהוָה וְלַעֲשֹׂת וּלְלַמֵּד בְּיִשְׂרָאֵל חֹק וּמִשְׁפָּט (Ezra 7:10)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eddy View Post
    In BibleWorks 8 hit the Browse tab (on the far right), and you'll see the context. Is this good enough?
    Mark Eddy
    Not exactly. The Analysis window browse tab shows the context of the verse I'm studying in the middle pane. However I often use the cross references and want to see the context of the cross reference without disturbing the passage I'm studying. Whenever I double click on a cross reference, I am taken away from my central passage. Having the search window display the context of any cross reference I am hovering over keeps me from having to leave my central text in order to validate the appropriateness of a cross reference.

And to beat the drum, I too would love to see the ability to enter multiple verse in the command line. I do understand that its easier to have a suggestion then to implement it. I would not want to sacrifice the speed and focus of Bibleworks to make it happen.

different sayings of the Abrahamic covenant, You could use the parallel version window and you can have side by side, Gen 12, 15, and 17.

or different synoptic parallels- you the synopsis window and the search scripture function and it will be automatically displayed.
    Numbers 6:24-26
    יְבָרֶכְךָ יְהוָה וְיִשְׁמְרֶךָ׃
    יָאֵר יְהוָה פָּנָיו אֵלֶיךָ וִיחֻנֶּךָּ׃
    יִשָּׂא יְהוָה פָּנָיו אֵלֶיךָ וְיָשֵׂם לְךָ שָׁלוֹם׃

Ken,

I understand that a lot of these things can be done already. I know about the parallel window and the synopsis tool and think they're both great tools. What I'm suggesting is a much faster, easier, and more intuitive way to do this. It's the difference between 60 seconds and 3 seconds, and also a much better way to view the text.

Essentially, the parallels window is a glorified browse window since you get to see the difference in translations (same as browse window), only with more than one verse at a time (different than browse window). It's good for comparing English translations and demonstrating those differences, or it's good for putting the Greek on one side and the English on the other and giving you more context. However, the purpose doesn't really seem to be to view the differences in verses, but rather to view the differences in translations. Although you can manually go in and switch books and chapters and such, it takes a while and viewing the text is not the best. I'm suggesting a specific feature for viewing the differences in verses. Since most of us hate clutter on our desktop and hate other windows popping up, then I think you should be able to type "x" references into the command line, and then they all show up in the browse window. This tools would be good for studied things such as intertextuality and such.

Like I said, I know it can technically be done, it just takes a while and is too complicated. Lets make things both easier, and faster.

And, of course, the increase/decrease font buttons should be lobbied by all instructors who use BW