Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BW8 work with 64 bit systems?

Default BW8 work with 64 bit systems?

I'm going to be buying a new laptop. Since I want to address all the RAM I can, I'm thinking of a 64 bit system rather than a 32 bit system. Does BW 8 work on a 64 bit system?

Dale A. Brueggemann

כִּי עֶזְרָא הֵכִין לְבָבוֹ לִדְרוֹשׁ אֶת־תּוֹרַת יְהוָה וְלַעֲשֹׂת וּלְלַמֵּד בְּיִשְׂרָאֵל חֹק וּמִשְׁפָּט (Ezra 7:10)

Yes, BW8 runs great on my Vista 64-bit laptop. Incidentally, so did BW7. However, there are several popular applications out there that remain unsupported. When I went 64-bit, I had to upgrade my scanner software and purchase a new scanner. Also, my Dragon Naturally Speaking v.10 software will not work on a 64-bit platform.

Dale,

I'm running a 64 bit system as well. Works great. I currently have 3 4 Gigs of RAM and haven't experienced any problems with BW8 and other programs (plural) operating/open at the same time.

FYI.

02/24/09 Correction: I'm running 4 GBs of RAM.
    Last edited by SCSaunders; 02-24-2009 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Just got done double-checking

Default Thanks

Thanks for the responses about BW8 and 64 bit; however, some of my other software apparently doesn't work on 64 bit, and I surely can't afford to buy a new scanner or any other hardware that won't run 64 bit. Guess I'll stay 32 bit for one more cycle, although I would dearly love to run about 16 GB of RAM for some of my other work.

Dale A. Brueggemann

כִּי עֶזְרָא הֵכִין לְבָבוֹ לִדְרוֹשׁ אֶת־תּוֹרַת יְהוָה וְלַעֲשֹׂת וּלְלַמֵּד בְּיִשְׂרָאֵל חֹק וּמִשְׁפָּט (Ezra 7:10)

Smile Alright. Reel me in and gut me. But I've just gotta bite.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale A. Brueggemann View Post
    ... although I would dearly love to run about 16 GB of RAM for some of my other work.

I'm curious if no one else is ... but what software are you running? 16 GIGABITES RAM!? I am in awe.

Dale, I feel it my duty to warn you: this is exactly how Skynet started and you know where that got John Connor.

Default Me want more RAM

Quote Originally Posted by SCSaunders View Post
    ...what software are you running? 16 GIGABITES RAM!?
    I frequently run several programs at the same time: BibleWorks, Nota Bene, Act! [contact manager], IE.

I do a fair amount of desktop publishing that uses the whole Adobe CS3 package: Lightroom, Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign, and often I have Bible Works running at the same time in that case too. Lightroom's a really memory greedy program, moderately graphics-illustrated book-length stuff in InDesign sops it up.

Oh yeah, I would love to feed those programs all the RAM they want.

And apparently the 64 bit processor also does a better job of switching back and forth between multiple applications that are runnign at the same time.

Dale A. Brueggemann

Quote Originally Posted by Dale A. Brueggemann View Post
    I frequently run several programs at the same time: BibleWorks, Nota Bene, Act! [contact manager], IE.
    Cool. Didn't know what ACT! was, so I just googled it.

I do a fair amount of desktop publishing that uses the whole Adobe CS3 package: Lightroom, Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign, and often I have Bible Works running at the same time in that case too. Lightroom's a really memory greedy program, moderately graphics-illustrated book-length stuff in InDesign sops it up.
    Awesome. I've got Adobe CS3 too, but I've only had time to slowly learn Ps and even less for Dw. My schedule will change come the end of June and my goal is to start on the desk top stuff. I don't have Lightroom, though I occasionally check out Layers Magazine and know about it.

Other than Lynda.com, I would love any tutorial advice - book, video, web site or otherwise - that you have. I love all this stuff and want to learn more.

Oh yeah, I would love to feed those programs all the RAM they want.
    Powerpoint, Word, Ps, BW, IE did a RAM number on me, forcing my first upgrade. My Inspiron 1100 just couldn't handle it. It's RAM upgrade is maxed out at a wopping 1 GB.

And apparently the 64 bit processor also does a better job of switching back and forth between multiple applications that are runnign at the same time.
    I'm now on my second laptop upgrade, with 4 GBs RAM that's upgradable to more, though I don't think 16 is possible. I went from DELL to Gateway because of it's modular design. It will allow me to swap out old components for new ones, rather than having to go from one laptop to an entire new one. The ALT + TAB is excellent in 64 bit.
    Last edited by SCSaunders; 02-24-2009 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Double-Checking

Default Forgot something

I forgot another piece of software I run, a map making program that seems RAM hungry.

Dale A. Brueggemann

Thumbs up Tutorials for Photoshop and Lightroom

Quote Originally Posted by SCSaunders View Post
    Other than Lynda.com, I would love any tutorial advice - book, video, web site or otherwise - that you have. I love all this stuff and want to learn more.
    Anything by Scott Kelby is fantastic on the Lightroom or Photoshop. And you'll be surprise to read at the end of his "Acknowledgements" phrasing that goes something like this: "Most importantly, I want to thank God, and His son Jesus Christ,... for always being there when I need him, for blessing me with a wonderful, fulfilling, ad happy life...."

Dale A. Brueggemann

Default 64 bits and NotaBene/BibleWorks (slightly off topic)

Dale.
    Your list of programs sounds familiar. NotaBene has a public disclaimer about not running on 64 bit Vista or Xp. Have you found a way to work around that? I could not work without it. Just curious have you found away to import the current BW 8 mapping of Hebrew cantilations into NB? If this seems too far off topic, feel free to respond with a private message, (at your leisure)
    SkipB

"Ambitious to be well-pleasing unto him"
    RJ Blackburn
    Reformed Episcopal Seminary

http://www.reseminary.edu