Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ginsburg Massoretico-Critical Edition of the Hebrew Bible

Quote Originally Posted by kzitsch View Post
    Irving:

There is a very good copy of Ginsburg's Hebrew text at this web address:

www.d.hazaith.com/Scriptures/Bibles.org.uk/tnk.pdf

Wow, Ken, what a great resource! Thanks for the heads up re the link. It is a terrific copy of the Ginsburg Massoretico-Critical Edition of the Hebrew Bible. I've downloaded it. It's even got a key to the Hebrew abbreviations. This is Christmas (or Hanukkah) come early! I am in heaven. Well, ...almost! Thanks again, Ken. Blessings on your ministry. Brian (bkmitchell), if you want a great version of the Ginsburg Massoretico-Critical Edition of the Hebrew Bible, go to Ken's link above. You will not be sorry you did.

Default Ginsburg Massoretico-Critical Edition

Irving:

You are quite welcome. It gladdens my heart that I could be of assistance!

My study toward my doctorate is being done at Gordon-Conwell seminary. I am privileged to have Haddon Robinson overseeing my work in the track "The Preacher and the Message." It has firmed up within me the understanding that the work that we do proclaiming God's Word is the most important work to be done in this life.

Dubois is right up the Interstate from me about 28 miles. It is a beautiful area. But it is very impoverished and difficult as well. I have lived a few places in my life (Texas, Colorado, Virginia), but PA is in my blood. I just can't imagine living anywhere else. I would though were God to call me.

Happy Hanukkah
    Last edited by kzitsch; 10-16-2009 at 12:29 PM.

Irving:

You are quite welcome. It gladdens my heart that I could be of assistance!
    Well, that's two hearts (at least) that are gladdened today! I hope your congregation appreciates you!

My study toward my doctorate is being done at Gordon-Conwell seminary. I am privileged to have Haddon Robinson overseeing my work in the track "The Preacher and the Message." It has firmed up within me the understanding that the work that we do proclaiming God's Word is the most important work to be done in this life.
    Great program. Robinson is still the master homiletician and craftsman, in my own humble opinion. I have a pastor friend here in NJ that received his doctorate last year, studying in the same track (at least, under Haddon and at Gordon-Conwell). And I couldn't agree with you more; there is no more sublime and consequential work that we do than proclaiming the word of God. Sacred task, awesome privilege!

Dubois is right up the Interstate from me about 28 miles. It is a beautiful area. But it is very impoverished and difficult as well. I have lived a few places in my life (Texas, Colorado, Virginia), but PA is in my blood. I just can't imagine living anywhere else. I would though were God to call me.

Happy Hanukkah
    I will still never forget the day that I drove into Dubois (in the Winter of 1997-98, I believe). I had been scheduled to speak in a church there on a Sunday morning. Dubois was probably a five-six hour drive from where I was coming in NJ. So I started out the Saturday night before but I couldn't get any further along Interstate 80 than Berwick/Bloomsburg due to a tremendous snowstorm. Even the truckers were getting off the interstate. I was stranded in the middle of nowhere, but I was fortunate to find a motel and hunker in for the night. It was fortuitous; the driving was treacherous. I went to sleep intending to rise very early the next morning and praying that the storm would have passed sufficiently for me to be able to get to Dubois in time for their morning service (at which I was preaching). Thankfully, the storm eventually abated and the roads were passable enough that I was able to make it to my destination in time. But I will never forget driving into Dubois and seeing it nestled in the snowy mountains and backdrop. It was nothing short of sensational and beautiful. God's incredible creation and handiwork. Yes, PA definitely touches the heart. And I've never even lived there! People are down to earth too! I met so many great folks at all the churches I had opportunity to visit and minister in over the years.

Thanks for the Hanukkah wishes. What am I going to do for an encore when the real season and the genuine article arrives in December?

There is a very good copy of Ginsburg's Hebrew text at this web address:
    www.d.hazaith.com/Scriptures/Bibles.org.uk/tnk.pdf
    Wow, thanks for the link. This Tanakh/Hebrew OT looks very much like the one sold by the Trinitarian Bible Society. They have have it combined with Franz Delitzsch's Hebrew NT and another edition with F. H. A. Scrivener's Textus Receptus of the NT.

Interestingly, enough Bibleworks has Scrivener's TR, and Delitzsch Hebrew NT, but not Ginsburg's Tanakh. To be fair none of the other commercial Bible Software companies have Ginsburg's Tanakh either.

Grace and Peace,
    Brian

Brian K. Mitchell
    חפשו בתורה היטב ואל תסתמכו על דברי
    http://www.adfontes.mitchellbk.com/

It would be nice to have Ginsburg's O.T. included in BibleWorks but I'd be wondering where to put his notes. If the Matthew Henry Commentary was something that we as users could replace, I'd just as soon have Ginsburg's notes in that chunk of screen real estate.

Quote Originally Posted by MWMiles View Post
    It would be nice to have Ginsburg's O.T. included in BibleWorks but I'd be wondering where to put his notes. If the Matthew Henry Commentary was something that we as users could replace, I'd just as soon have Ginsburg's notes in that chunk of screen real estate.
    Well, it is always possible select which resources one would like to have opened up in the resources summary window. Maybe, the notes could be set up like Tischendorf apparatus is for the NT?
    Brian K. Mitchell

Quote Originally Posted by bkMitchell View Post
    Well, it is always possible select which resources one would like to have opened up in the resources summary window. Maybe, the notes could be set up like Tischendorf apparatus is for the NT?
    That would be nice!

It would also be cool to have the מסורה גדולה וקטנה included in Bibleworks.

I guess it is easy enough to find the Masorah finalis and Sefer Oklah we-Oklah online in PDF and all that's in the public domain. If, I can learn more about ASCII / CCAT format maybe I could try to type that in and see how much work that'd be. If it could be typed in unicode that would speed up things.
    Brian K. Mitchell

I have Frensdorff's Masorah Magna, which is not too hard to locate at a used book store, and his Das Buch Ochlah W'ochlah which was much harder to locate. I have trouble with the German, since I don't do German.

Wickes' Two Treatises on the Accentuation of the Old Testament is an interesting read as well.

I still want to lay my hands on some of works that Dr. James Price did on the syntax of the masoretic accents. I remember in the old days before he passed away running into him on the old BibleWorks forum. He was a gem of a guy and we had some interesting email conversations regarding this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by MWMiles View Post
    I still want to lay my hands on some of works that Dr. James Price did on the syntax of the masoretic accents. I remember in the old days before he passed away running into him on the old BibleWorks forum.
    You sure do have a nice collection of books on the subject.

So, Dr. James Price was on the BW forum? I am sure you did have some great discussions. You can find his book on syntax here(link). Have you read any of the works by Rav Mordechai Breuer(of blessed memory), Aaron Dotan, or Joshua R. Jacobson's Chanting the Hebrew Bible?

I guess we have gotten a little off topic but this is interesting and fun.
    Brian K. Mitchell