Thread: BW6 - Revision 2 CD [To BW Staff!!!]

Default BW6 - Revision 2 CD [To BW Staff!!!]

Hi all!

Is it possibile to know when the "Revision 2" CD will be released?

September, October... by Christmas

TIA

Ivo

I've been wondering that same thing, as well as what its features will be. (It was mentioned that it might have the HCSB, for instance.)

Last word I heard was months ago, and nothing since.
    Dan Phillips
    Books:Web presence:
    tfo+[]l;w> hw"hy> tr:AT-ta, vArd>li Abb'l. !ykihe ar"z>[, yKi

s `jP'(v.miW qxo laer"f.yIB. dMel;l.W

Default Revision 2

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Phillips
    I've been wondering that same thing, as well as what its features will be. (It was mentioned that it might have the HCSB, for instance.)

Last word I heard was months ago, and nothing since.
    Hi Dan,

I hope you can appreciate that we can't announce release dates. If we announce a release and something happens and we miss it a lot, then sales dry up and we are in trouble financially. And we can't really announce contents because other unnamed companies lurk here and don't necessarily have our best interests at heart :-) We don't plan on a Rev 2 of 6.0. I can tell you that we are thinking seriously about yearly releases that would be less expensive than our normal major releases. Things are changing too quickly and releases every 2-3 years just don't make sense any more. We can't serve our users well that way. We'll let you know what we can when we can. In the mean time thanks for your support. We have some cool stuff coming.

Mike

My memory is that, some months ago, y'all (2mp) said there'd be a major revision CD coming out. So I'm gathering that idea's no longer operative.

It does sound neat, but it gives me a bit of an ache around the wallet.

/c8
    Dan Phillips

Default Revision CD

Yes. I have very specific recollection that BW staff, maybe on the topica system, maybe here (I was unsuccessful with a search) said that a 6.0 Rev 2 CD was being planned with some additional goodies similar to the BW 5.0 Rev 2. I was looking forward to it. Not looking a gift developer in the mouth, but I am interested to know when and why plans changed.

Default Plans changing

I exchanged a few emails with one of the BW staff about a specific resource a few months ago (though, frankly, I don't remember what it was or if it could be included). From my recollections of that, it doesn't seem to me like anything has changed... Who said anything about charging for this CD? Certainly not the staff, just one of the commenters. Who said anything abotu dates or availability? Certainly not the staff... I just don't see that we have any good intel to speculate on here
    Ben

You ask who said anything about charging? Mike did, Ben, just a little above on this thread. There will be no free upgrade as previously announced, he said. But they may have yearly upgrades, "less expensive," but still (therefore) expensive.

So the free upgrade we'd heard about will not happen (their option), but there may be a version we can buy.

See?
    Dan Phillips

Red face The labourer is worthy of his reward.

I appreciate the concern over costs of an upgrade, but these folks can't work and develop "cool stuff" for free. It takes a lot of hours to develop anything worth using. They deserve any fees that they charge.

It seems a bit unfair to expect that they might upgrade for free.

Personally, when I upgraded to version 6 I was very pleased with what I got. I was even more pleased with the occasional (frequent?) tweaks and upgrades that were available online.

Default Costs

Mike said they were "thinking about it". Not anouncing it. I saw a difference, but it's a valid financial fear. Most of us (myself included) are students or teachers of one flavor or another, certainly not lucrative professions. Things rarely turn out to be as good as we hope, but fortunately also not as bad as we fear
    Ben

Default Free updates

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Phillips
    So the free upgrade we'd heard about will not happen (their option), but there may be a version we can buy.

See?
    Don't complain too much... Free upgrades HAVE been happening - since getting the BW6 CDs, there have been lots of free upgrades available online for downloading. The NET Bible is an entirely new resource which came this way and is well integrated into BibleWorks, plus the maps that come with it. There have also been some important enhancements to the Josephus modules, and lots of other free updates. These are not just bug fixes - they are new enhancements which you don't need to pay for.

Completely new versions come at a cost, but the upgrade price is about the same as a birthday or Christmas present, so they are not too expensive. So far, every new version has had a serious number of new resources and modules, and has been well worth the price. My first version was 3.5, and I have upgraded through v4, v5 and v6 and always thought the money was well spent.

Regards,

Ewan MacLeod