Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Settings that do not stick

Default Settings that do not stick

At least two settings on BW8 do not stay and always revert back to some predetermined settings, and it is not easy to figure out why. Both of them are on ToolsOptionsBW Options Window.

(1) “GeneralFonts” lets you to select various fonts. And I wanted to use Bwgrkn font for “Export Fonts” for Greek. But no matter what fond I choose for this Greek font, it always reverts back to Gwgrkl, although Search and Browse windows fonts can be changed.

(2) “Output Format OptionsSelected Browse Text” shows a window with “Where to copy the selected texts …” box on the left, and “Favorite Settings for Browse Window Copy Menu” box on the right. No matter which radio button you click on the left hand side box, it has no effect, because once you OK it and reopen the window, the radio button reverts back to some predetermined position.

I noticed that the right hand side dropdown box controls the left hand side box radio buttons. That is: by selecting “Copy to Clipboard” on the right hand side dropdown box, the radio button for “Microsoft Word” on the left hand side is selected. (In fact nothing useful seems to be copied to Clipboard. The selected Browse text is copied directly to MS Word.) In the same way, “Copy to Existing Editor” controls “Last BW Editor Window”; “Copy to New Editor,” “New BW Editor Window”; “Copy to Word,” “Microsoft Word”; and “[Unidentified],” “Clipboard.”

However, the [Unidentified]-“Clipboard” combination behaves strangely. In spite of this setting, highlighting Browse text and Cntrl+c copying directly copies the text to the MS Word, and the Cntrl+v pasting on MS Word shows strange things when the material is not in Roman alphabet. However going through BW Editor is a different story although it doesn’t seem to work perfectly.

What is going on?

Default My experience as well

I have been trying to get help on this for 3 weeks. No changes I make such as font size stay when I reload. The program defaults to default. I am not a new BW user. I started with BW5.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaku Lee View Post
    At least two settings on BW8 do not stay and always revert back to some predetermined settings, and it is not easy to figure out why. Both of them are on ToolsOptionsBW Options Window.

(1) “GeneralFonts” lets you to select various fonts. And I wanted to use Bwgrkn font for “Export Fonts” for Greek. But no matter what fond I choose for this Greek font, it always reverts back to Gwgrkl, although Search and Browse windows fonts can be changed.

(2) “Output Format OptionsSelected Browse Text” shows a window with “Where to copy the selected texts …” box on the left, and “Favorite Settings for Browse Window Copy Menu” box on the right. No matter which radio button you click on the left hand side box, it has no effect, because once you OK it and reopen the window, the radio button reverts back to some predetermined position.

I noticed that the right hand side dropdown box controls the left hand side box radio buttons. That is: by selecting “Copy to Clipboard” on the right hand side dropdown box, the radio button for “Microsoft Word” on the left hand side is selected. (In fact nothing useful seems to be copied to Clipboard. The selected Browse text is copied directly to MS Word.) In the same way, “Copy to Existing Editor” controls “Last BW Editor Window”; “Copy to New Editor,” “New BW Editor Window”; “Copy to Word,” “Microsoft Word”; and “[Unidentified],” “Clipboard.”

However, the [Unidentified]-“Clipboard” combination behaves strangely. In spite of this setting, highlighting Browse text and Cntrl+c copying directly copies the text to the MS Word, and the Cntrl+v pasting on MS Word shows strange things when the material is not in Roman alphabet. However going through BW Editor is a different story although it doesn’t seem to work perfectly.

What is going on?
    Yaku,

Open the Popup Copy WIndow (SHift-Ctrl B). Then place the cursor on the window and press F1. Read the discussion there and see if it Helps. I am not sure you understand how the Copy Options work. The list box in the upper right corner of the Setup window is just the name of the favorite. If you choose the favorite "Copy to Clip Board" and then click on the "Copy to Word" radio button, the options will cause a copy to Word even though the menu setting (the favorite setting) says it is Copying to the Clipboard. The Favorite setting is just a label and it is editable. In general if you mess around with the settings you also need to rename the favorite so that it fits the changes.

Mike

Default Option Changes not sticking

Quote Originally Posted by Yaku Lee View Post

What is going on?
    I took a look ath these issues:

(1) I am unable to duplicate this. Amake sure the setting under Settings | Flags | Shutdow Options is set to save settings on exit. If that still doesn't work send me your bw800.ini file from the BibleWorks root directory.
    (2) This was a bug introduced in the last fix. I just posted a fix for the fix a few minutes ago (8.0.007a). That should take care of this one, Lord willing.
    (3) I am not sure I follow all this. If you can specifiy a particular sequence of actions that don't work, like you did in (2) I can see if I can suplicate it. But do keep in mind my previous message about what that upper right hand list means. I did try copying from the Browse window to the clipboard and it seems to work fine. Keep in mind also that some versions of Word do not tolerate Unicode very well. The first reall support was in Word 2003. ANd it wasn't until Word 2007 that they got it mostly right.

Thanks for your patience. We are working hard to get all these problems ironed out but it will take a while.
    Mike

Default Saving Options

Quote Originally Posted by MBD View Post
    I have been trying to get help on this for 3 weeks. No changes I make such as font size stay when I reload. The program defaults to default. I am not a new BW user. I started with BW5.
    If you can give me a specific and repeatable procedure, I can get it fixed. I have so far fixed all the copy problems that have been reported and that I can reproduce. If all else fails I recommend deleting your copyops.dat file and working until you have a reproducible bug. Then send me the copyops.dat and your bw800.ini file with a step by step description of the bug. I can glean some info from reading forum posts but they are not official bug reports and don't always contain enough information to really track down what's going on.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MBushell View Post
    The first reall support was in Word 2003.
    I use unicode day in day out, and haven't yet had a reason to upgrade from Office 2000. If Office 2007 had integrated proper opentype support for automatic ligature replacement etc. I would probably have upgraded.

I do use an updated usp10.dll available through Microsoft VOLT. This may make the difference.

Regards,
    David.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kummerow View Post
    I use unicode day in day out, and haven't yet had a reason to upgrade from Office 2000. If Office 2007 had integrated proper opentype support for automatic ligature replacement etc. I would probably have upgraded.

I do use an updated usp10.dll available through Microsoft VOLT. This may make the difference.

Regards,
    David.
    Interesting. Can you do RTL Hebrew typing win Word 2000? My understanding was that Unicode Hebrew could be displayed in Word 2000 under Windows XP, but RTL typing did not work. It has never worked for me. The problem in Word 2000 is not so much Unicode as Unicode Hebrew (and other RTL languages). If there is a way around that I am glad to hear it, but a little suspicious. I do know that Word 2000 and XP out of the box have no support for Biblical (accented) Greek. Installing IE7 does seem to fix that though.
    Mike
    Mike

RTL Hebrew works fine for me with Word 2000. In fact, I'm currently completing my phd in Hebrew linguistics using it. Which means if it were an issue I would definitely have found something better by now. Polytonic Greek and accented Hebrew displays fine. As I mentioned, since all of this works for me with Office 2000, I haven't had to upgrade yet. I was looking forward to Office 2007, but was let down when I saw it doesn't utilise all the opentype encoding to automatically generate proper in-document ligatures.

I've used Word 2000 a few years ago under win 2000, but the last few years under XP. Both have been fine. Rendering can be improved if it isn't working properly like I mentioned if upgrading usp10.dll. Has to be done offline with PE, or use a file-replace program to replace the file on reboot (necessary since the file is always in use, so cannot be replaced "live"). details I think are on the SIL website if unsure about this.

Here's a screenshot:

Regards,
    David.
    Last edited by David Kummerow; 02-12-2009 at 05:03 AM.

Default Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by David Kummerow View Post
    RTL Hebrew works fine for me with Word 2000. In fact, I'm currently completing my phd in Hebrew linguistics using it. Which means if it were an issue I would definitely have found something better by now. Polytonic Greek and accented Hebrew displays fine. As I mentioned, since all of this works for me with Office 2000, I haven't had to upgrade yet. I was looking forward to Office 2007, but was let down when I saw it doesn't utilise all the opentype encoding to automatically generate proper in-document ligatures.

I've used Word 2000 a few years ago under win 2000, but the last few years under XP. Both have been fine. Rendering can be improved if it isn't working properly like I mentioned if upgrading usp10.dll. Has to be done offline with PE, or use a file-replace program to replace the file on reboot (necessary since the file is always in use, so cannot be replaced "live"). details I think are on the SIL website if unsure about this.

Here's a screenshot:

Regards,
    David.
    Very interesting. I hope some other users chime in. I have spent many hours with Word 2000. It never worked and Microsoft told me it couldn't work and I should recommend Word 2003 instead to our users. I presume you also had to add Complex script support to XP, and also add a Hebrew Keyboard. I will have our tecg support guys look into writing a FAQ about this. However, our "official" position is that we do not support Word 2000 because Microsoft does not support it.

I'm not sure why they would say that. Everything works as it should once the uniscribe file is upgraded. Unless better support came with a service pack, but then they should know that. Back in 2000 when I first bought the program, I wasn't using RTL Hebrew. At some point I did (maybe 2003 or 2004?), and likely after latest service pack had been installed.

Yes, I have "complex script and right-to-left" languages option checked and installed. I use (amongst quite a few other keyboard drivers) a slightly modified SIL keyboard driver for unicode Hebrew input.

Regards,
    David.