Thread: Arabic for version 6

Hybrid View

Default Arabic for version 6

Are there any user-created Arabic versions (OT and NT) compatible with BW6? I also would appreciate any info. on the Qu'ran in Arabic in a BW6 format, if available.

No user database Arabic version of the Bible was ever offered through the BibleWorks master list, nor is there one on the BibleWorks blog (I suggest checking there first, if you are interested in any additional versions). Most user versions will work with BibleWorks 6-8 (and I think that most will work with BibleWorks 5), except that BibleWorks 5 and 6 did not support Unicode fonts.
    No Arabic version of the Qu'ran has ever been made available, only an English translation.
    Since BibleWorks 6 was not designed to use an Arabic font, and since an Arabic Bible is available with BibleWorks 7 and 8, if you really need to use Arabic, I think that you need to upgrade.
    Mark Eddy

Default Upgrade to version 8

Thanks, Mark.

I just upgraded to version 8 last week and am enjoying studying the Arabic translation. How is it though, that while the Arabic Bible supports unicode, a user-created Arabic Qur'an would still have to be input in CCAT?

You realy have to ask the programmers your question. They understand the inner workings of BibleWorks. I think that the use of CCAT files allowes BW to search more quickly than using Unicode, which has more characters to search. I know that the program started out using CCAT files, so the programmers would have to make major changes in the program itself, if they were to switch over to Unicode. And all of us would have to learn how to type in Unicode, which I do not look forward to doing. I do know that they have given thought to using Unicode internally. But they have not revealed how seriously they are working on it.
    Mark Eddy